Author Topic: When to let them 3 at night...  (Read 987 times)

Offline Tree79

• Site Member
  • Sexi Lexi.....................
When to let them 3 at night...
« on: December 09, 2007, 09:58:20 PM »
HI just been reading that post about crate use...

Lexi is in the crate when i go shopping and that she comes to the school with me, but when do u no when its time to let them free at night lexi not really a chewer at the mo... my sis has a 8month lab, she never used a crate at night...

If you never let them out how do they learn what to do.... Now the xmas tree is in the living room i dont have that much room left in the living room.. was going to move her into the kitchen thinking about leaving the crate open, but she will not poo in the crate and if i leave the door open i no she will just poo by the back door.. she is growing so quick she not going to fit in the crate for that long, if i dont let her out how will she learn to wait to till i let her out...

We are having prob's with the house training as it is with out messing things up again.. She was doing so well now she just wee in one room not on the paper and its like well its not on the carpet what more do u want.....

I no you get up's and down's up its not good timing with christmas on it way and all the viisting to do...ha ha ha

Any help, my mum always says let them out on the hour every hour but she wee's all the time....
8 weeks ago i was a city girl.
now i live in a field..............
and my fav shoes are wellies
for dog walking..................
its the good life 4me...........

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: When to let them 3 at night...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:22:28 PM »
How old is she?

Mine are crated at night until I am reasonably certain that they have the idea of housetraining (even if they do have occasional accidents), which takes several months before I consider one reliabley housetrained. If they are still at the stage that they don't really get it then they stay in the crate.

And what I consider trained is that they know to ask me when they need to go out, that I am sure that they understand that poo and pee is for outside, and that they are able to hold it through the night.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:23:26 AM »
If I'm right Lexi is 18 weeks old

i used to take out every 30 min to the toilet and gradually increaded the time

Braan wasn't a chewer at that age but boy oh boy is he making up for it at the mo  :o  (nearly 7 months)  we left him out the crate one night a few weeks back and OH woke up to no toilet anywhere  :angel: but one slipper totally chewed to bits  :lol:

I kept Fern crated at night till recently - now she has a bed in my room and starts off there but as soon as we are asleep I think she is up on our bed with us  :-\

Personally if Lexi has no problems with the crate at night I would leave her in it at night for a good while yet  :D (just my opinion  ;) )

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:10:36 AM »
Personally if Lexi has no problems with the crate at night I would leave her in it at night for a good while yet  :D (just my opinion  ;) )

I agree!  Coco was in the crate at night until she was a year old - she was a chewer and quite slow to get the housetraining lark 100%.  She was quite happy in the crate so I carried on with it.  Pups vary a lot so it is up to you to decide when she is ready to do without the crate.  ;)

With the housetraining, I reckon you need to get her out of the habit of weeing inside full stop ie get rid of the paper.  ;)  I think having paper is confusing for them as they learn that it is sometimes OK to go indoors.  I just took Coco outside every 30 mins or every hour until she was quite big and praised her every time she went.  I have read that you should not expect too much on the housetraining front until they are a year old  :o  You will just have to persevere and be consistent with her.  ;)

Good luck with her - sounds like she is doing fine so far :D
Julie and Watson

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:48:12 PM »
I'll leave Marlee in his crate a night until I am sure he's house trained/can hold it though the night. And also, he will be in there until I am sure he won't get up to any mischief/harm when I am sleeping. So, I'd ay a good 5-6 months (maybe less, depends on him really) at least. But that's just me.

Offline jenza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:54:26 AM »
Try not to worry, your pup will soon learn to go outside.  I had to take our pup out every 30 minutes and never thought thins would improve but now 3 weeks later I just open the door and she just dashes out to wee.