Author Topic: Still no season for Miss Sweepie  (Read 1041 times)

Cazzie

Still no season for Miss Sweepie
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:35:50 PM »
Im concerned as its been well over a year since Sweepie had a season, is this normal  :-\ I know that my vet said that it is possible that a bitch can only have one season a year, but over a year  :-\ Any idea's  :D

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Still no season for Miss Sweepie
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 12:10:41 AM »
It's not common, but it's not unheard of. I know of one bitch who came in every year and a half  ::)

There's also something called silent seasons where there are no signs at all, and sometimes the boys can miss this too

How's her thyroid levels? Hypothyroid can also make their heats go wobbly
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:03:32 AM »
It's not common, but it's not unheard of. I know of one bitch who came in every year and a half  ::)

There's also something called silent seasons where there are no signs at all, and sometimes the boys can miss this too

How's her thyroid levels? Hypothyroid can also make their heats go wobbly

Ive no idea about that, is it something I should have tested do you think  :-\ Thanks  :D

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »
As far as I was aware Ruby hadn't come into season and she's nearly two!

However, when the vet examined Ruby, prior to her being spayed, she said that she was pretty sure that she had had a season. She said that all of her bit and pieces were mature and she could have had a silent season.

I was quite relieved tbh but Ruby hadn't shown any signs of a season. I don't think it's that common but maybe it's good to be slightly unusual!  ;)

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:09:17 AM »
Im worried about the thyroid thing now  :-\ Maybe thats why she is thin  :-\ :'( Im gonna call the vet and see what they say, thanks guys  :-*

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 09:13:24 AM »
Phoned them and they are going to call me back so will let you know what they say  :-\

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
My Rosie is nearly 8 months,when I collected her from the breeder recently she said that her dogs tend to have late seasons possibly around 13 or 14 months old :blink:

Always worth having chat with your vet though  :blink:

Jo

Offline Lee67

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »
My friends working cocker didn't come into season until she was 14 months.
Lee & Poppy xx

Cazzie

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »
Vet has just called back, he did say that if she had a problem with thyroid, she would be heavier as apparently, dogs gain wait and cats loose weight with thyroid problems  :-\

Anyway went over her behaviour and he asked me regarding vulva swelling, etc etc, and she has no physical signs  :-\ He did say sounds like she could have had a silent season and said that with bitches that have silent seasons are at an ever greater risk of Pyometra  :o , so he advises that I get her spayed, which is what I was going to do after she had her next season :-\ :'(  Oh dear, looks like its going to have to be done sooner than I expected  :'(

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »
getting her spayed will get rid of all your fears, dont worry, its not that serious, she will only feel groggy and sore for a day or 2, its not like a hystorectomy in people?

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 12:31:13 AM »
Vet has just called back, he did say that if she had a problem with thyroid, she would be heavier as apparently, dogs gain wait and cats loose weight with thyroid problems  :-\

Not always. Often it doesn't follow the "classic" symptoms and can be very subtle.

Have you contacted her breeder to ask how often her mum came in season?
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Cazzie

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »

Have you contacted her breeder to ask how often her mum came in season?

I could do I suppose  :D Ill maybe drop her an email  :D

Offline bonnie blue

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 08:09:14 AM »
Maisie is the same its a year since her first season ~she did suffer poor thing she got a bacterial infection all around her mouth and eyes before hand then had a phantom pregnancy afterwards  :-\
On Friday had to take her to vet with an ear and eye infection so vet said she may be close to coming into season think we may get her spayed :-\
He said the phantom pregnancies just tend to get worse!
Owned by Molly and Poppy and never ever forgetting Maisie at the bridge x