Author Topic: a litter for my dog  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
a litter for my dog
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 12:07:02 AM »
Nicole, I think your vet is seriously out of date with his advice :shock:  Breeding a litter to reduce the chances of mammary cancer is not a good enough reason to breed (even if it was true). You'd be better off getting Bella spayed if this was the main motivation behind you deciding to have a litter. Bitches that have had litters can & do get mammary tumours I'm afraid.                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

a litter for my dog
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 12:08:19 AM »
i couldent sum it up any better then gilly really , we were going to buy another cocker but My vet nasty as he gave us the advice to let her have a litter our last two bitches never had a litter and died of breast cancer ,and he said they have less chances of it if they have a litter. so we thought mabe we would look into it ,we werent really thinking of having one.  

I'm sorry I have to say this but is that really a reason to breed dogs. I think you were very unlucky to have 2 dogs die of breast cancer, just as I was unlucky to have 2 cats die of FIP and a cocker pup with an extremely rare form of cancer.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
a litter for my dog
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 02:14:03 AM »
right so im wrong for wanting to breed a decent litter and looking into it so much, your right i havent got a good enough reason i should leave it to you experts in the feild sorry                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
a litter for my dog
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2004, 02:32:51 PM »
Just wanted to add as a bit of evedence really, that my rescue german shepherd that had been used for breeding before I got her, died of a mammory tumor :(  at the age of 7 :cry:   So as you can see Nicole, its not as your vet said :?   I would say that this can happen to both bred and unbred dogs :cry:   I would certainly not use breeding as a way of trying to reduce the chances of an illness :roll:   As there are other things that can happen to your dog by not getting them speyed :roll:   You really need to take some informed advice before making any decisions :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
a litter for my dog
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2004, 02:42:40 PM »
Nicole, we were all reacting to the wrong advice you have been given by your vet and saying that what he told you was not a good enough reason to breed. You have criticised your vet yourself in previous posts as I remember :? No-one has attacked you personally or been rude.  Whether you decide to continue posting or not is entirely up to you, but please don't delete posts on existing threads - the thread ends up making no sense at all & information that could be useful to other members is lost.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
a litter for my dog
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2004, 03:24:00 PM »
I think that in this case Nicole thought that she was acting in the best interest of her dog and and thought that her vets advise was the right way to go.

I feel so sorry if Nicole has taken offence to any of the comments which i think were intended more for Nicoles vet than for Nicole.

This site is so beneficial to others thinking of breeding, as myths like the statement given by Nicoles vet can now be dispelled by others with the same theory.

I've learnt a valuable lesson from this thread - Vets do not know every thing!!!!!!!!!!                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
a litter for my dog
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2004, 03:31:07 PM »
My god  :( - sorry, couldn't find a smilie for bashing my head against a wall......
if that's not rude i don't know what is , the reaction could have been put a little nicer ,there are plently of proper replies on those threads.  ive decided not to stay on , i shall devote my time to the rescue site hopefully padfoot will pass any relevant info about cockers on . c ya girls  and  hugs to stu and mike :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
a litter for my dog
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2004, 04:08:34 PM »
My god  :( - sorry, couldn't find a smilie for bashing my head against a wall......
if that's not rude i don't know what is , the reaction could have been put a little nicer ,there are plently of proper replies on those threads.  ive decided not to stay on , i shall devote my time to the rescue site hopefully padfoot will pass any relevant info about cockers on . c ya girls  and  hugs to stu and mike :)

I read Hel's comment at being aimed at your vet's advice - it's not the first time vets have encouraged owners to breed for the wrong reasons, hence Hel's remark. I'm sorry you feel you have to leave this site over a misunderstanding. You will find misunderstandings happen whatever forum you belong to but it's your decision as I said before.                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

a litter for my dog
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2004, 07:22:34 PM »
I read Hel's comment at being aimed at your vet's advice - it's not the first time vets have encouraged owners to breed for the wrong reasons, hence Hel's remark. I'm sorry you feel you have to leave this site over a misunderstanding. You will find misunderstandings happen whatever forum you belong to but it's your decision as I said before.

I agree and COL is one of the least controversial sites I know, as other sites can get a lot more heated in comparison.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
a litter for my dog
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2004, 11:11:20 PM »
I didn't realise Nicole had left the site, we were in contact earlier about some rescue cockers and she didn't mention it  :(
If you are still lurking Nicole this sounds like a simple misunderstanding, I'm sure no one wants you to leave.                    

Offline jacquie

• Site Member
a litter for my dog
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 11:25:29 AM »
my reason for breeding my bitch is :she has an excellent temprement and a fanstastic pedigree,it would be a waste for her not to pass this on.she is fom excellent working stock,i think if we all felt that breeding is only suitable for experienced breeders then cockers would surely go out of circulation,after all dogs have been breeding themselves for years and years without any expert advise.yes i do think you should conssider the expence of it all.i got excellent advise form my bitches vet and also from the stud dog owner.if it doesnt work out with my bitch then i will not mate her again,she is a pet and avalued member of our family.  :o                    

Offline jacquie

• Site Member
a litter for my dog
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2004, 11:34:45 AM »
i dont think it was very nice to have a go like you did,she was just asking for advise everyone has different ideas of what is right and what is wrong i have a book by a breeder of cocker spaniels whom clearly stated that he had a bad line of cockers and the only way to eradicate them was to continue breeding untill there was no trace left of the prblem in the first place,vets say that having your dog newterd or spayed calms them down,i know lots of people have done this and there dogs have become aggressive,yet peole i know have had no problems after having theres done so you see who is right and who is wrong :?:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
a litter for my dog
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2004, 11:54:23 AM »
Jacquie,

Could I kindly ask you to start another thread regarding this subject...I don't feel it's relevant to resurrect a thread that ended in March.

Thank you  :)

Gilly (Moderator)                    

Offline PennyB

a litter for my dog
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2004, 11:57:08 AM »
i dont think it was very nice to have a go like you did,she was just asking for advise everyone has different ideas of what is right and what is wrong i have a book by a breeder of cocker spaniels whom clearly stated that he had a bad line of cockers and the only way to eradicate them was to continue breeding untill there was no trace left of the prblem in the first place,vets say that having your dog newterd or spayed calms them down,i know lots of people have done this and there dogs have become aggressive,yet peole i know have had no problems after having theres done so you see who is right and who is wrong :?:

When they state 'bad line' what do they mean as surely if you have dogs that have certain health defects they shouldn't be bred from as their pups may also suffer from similar defects which in my mind it is cruel to perpetuate a health defect that would cause suffering to the animal and distress and financial hardship to the owner. Breeding should really only be done from healthy animals.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
a litter for my dog
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2004, 01:14:36 PM »
I'm locking this thread now - Jaquie if you want to start another discussion on responsible breeding then please do so but please could you not keep resurrecting old threads.

Thank you

Jane                    
Jane