Author Topic: male neutering  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
male neutering
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2002, 03:00:38 PM »
Angela

The Tardak made no impression on Jasper at all. The vet is very sure that it does replicate how a dog would be after castration. Short of actually doing that to Jasper now to try and prove a point - I can't comment further. For me it shows that Jasper's problems lie elswhere and that surgery to reduce his hormones isn't going to help.

I am glad we did it as I don't want to put either of them through surgery unless it is necessary.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline angelad

male neutering
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2002, 04:01:27 PM »
Thanks for that Pam, it is most helpful as I too want to find out if Coopers problems are elsewhere before I try something quite that drastic. I think I may explore a few avenues and then ring the vet and see what they say it will cost.                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
male neutering
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2002, 07:35:03 PM »
I can't believe Cooper has any problems - he's way too cute for that ;) :-*                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline angelad

male neutering
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2002, 07:48:11 PM »
Well Cooper says thankyou for that Gill, but Mummy know different.  ;D

We are having a problem with him when visitors come to the door. Obviously we get the usual thing of him rushing to the door & barking like mad if he does manage to get there - normally we try and shut him in the kitchen.

The trouble was really bought to mind yesturday when the fish man came (who comes every week). Cooper was in the garden, so he got to meet him first and when Roddie tried to get him to come in, Cooper started barking & growling and sounding really nasty >:(. I still think this maybe down to him being confused about his 'place' but am not 100% certain and really don't know what else to do to re-enforce this. He waits for his dinner, goes through doors and upstairs behind us, & is not allowed up on the furniture unless we say so.

Any suggestions would be greatly accepted                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
male neutering
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2002, 08:41:22 PM »
Vegas does the exact same thing which I'm puttting down to him still being a baby :) There isn't a night goes by that I'm not poring over some canine behavioural book trying to find the solution. Like you, I am enforcing the fact that Mummy is Pack Leader and go through doors first, make him wait for food, let him on the furniture when I say so etc. My main problem comes at bedtime. He doesn't get to come up until I'm in bed and Brook has had his nightly biccy and then he gets invited up onto the bed. However, while getting ready for bed he jumps up and when I tell him to get down he starts jumping about and barking at me. Once I eventually grab hold of him(hes a slippery little monkey) and put him on the floor he's fine again. I have been laughed at for making such a "big deal" out of it but if you were to see him do it, he really does look like he's laying down a challenge to me ie "you'll have to catch me first". I want to nip this in the bud incase it gets worse as he gets older. My mantra is MUMMY ALWAYS WINS ;D                    

Offline angelad

male neutering
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2002, 08:49:33 PM »
However, while getting ready for bed he jumps up and when I tell him to get down he starts jumping about and barking at me. Once I eventually grab hold of him(hes a slippery little monkey) and put him on the floor he's fine again. I have been laughed at for making such a "big deal" out of it but if you were to see him do it, he really does look like he's laying down a challenge to me ie "you'll have to catch me first".

Yep Cooper is exactly the same, trying to catch them is a nightmare. Yesturday when Doddie 'fish' came and this morning when someone came to the door I had to physically lift him and put him in his crate. I'll have to keep trying that and see if it works.

Not much good when hes already outside though. Does Vegas snarl & growl at you when you try to get him off the bed?                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
male neutering
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2002, 02:57:13 PM »
It has been known for him to give a growl though he doesn't snarl. He hasn't ever bared his teeth and I don't think his growl is in the same context as when Brook growls ie I'm going to bite your head off :o but nevertheless it is a growl and I'm not standing for it. I think he's just trying his luck and if I persevere hopefully he will realise that it is not going to achieve anything ie he will still end up on the floor, voluntarily or not ;) The biggest problem with Brook is he got away with it so it is learned behaviour but he is also very capable of biting(I bear the scars :'() which makes the situation different to Vegas. I may actually start putting him in the crate at nightime until I am ready for his presence and see if that helps.