Author Topic: Chicken wings  (Read 5879 times)

Offline PennyB

Chicken wings
« on: April 01, 2004, 03:25:15 PM »
Well I've done it, I eventually went out and bought some. Wilf loved them straight away but Ruby took a bit of persuading even though the fact that she'd left it adorning the kitchen floor she growled every time the cat went to inspect it. I think it was the idea that it may help with the anal gland problem—its not just the vet bills and the prospect of an op somewhere along the line that was bothering me but the fact that their smell can often create interest in other dogs and hence am sure she's been attacked at least once because of this.

So those of who are hanging around the sidelines its scary but not once while they were eating them was there any worry that they might choke!

One question from another friend is what about salmonella.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 03:37:34 PM »
Funnily enough, I was looking at them today in Tesco - couldn't bring myself to buy the wee creeps though!!! I just cant get my head around the raw factor, and the risk of choking on small bones. Am sure Pickle would love them (loves every foodstuff  :P ), maybe next time.....
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Chicken wings
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 04:00:36 PM »
Go on Emma be a devil and let Pickle have some ..... they really are fab and the dogs love them, well my three do anyway  :wink:

Pleased to hear that you have been converted Penny I'm sure Wilf & Ruby and happy campers as well.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 04:29:39 PM »

Penny, I think it was Tracey (COL)  I am sure when I went to see a litter of hers, she said that dogs couldn't get Salmonella :?   I am sure thats what she said anyway, although might just be my bad memory :roll:  I am sure someone may be able to clarify :wink:                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Chicken wings
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 04:52:55 PM »
Well count us out. Jimmy and myself find the eating of raw uncooked food (chicken wings in particular) repellent so we won't be joining this weird cult. Misty would like them I'm sure, but that's no recommendation as she would eat anything. But it matters not, Jimmy and I have outvoted her. :D                    

Offline LeeC

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 01:43:05 AM »
Both Romsey and Saffy love chicken wings and chicken necks. They chew them thoroughly and we've never had a problem.

Lee                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 09:10:51 AM »

Penny, I think it was Tracey (COL)  I am sure when I went to see a litter of hers, she said that dogs couldn't get Salmonella :?   I am sure thats what she said anyway, although might just be my bad memory :roll:  I am sure someone may be able to clarify :wink:

I've heard conflicting reports on that, that's part of my reluctnce. Some think that a dogs gut isn't long enough for the salmonella bacteria to colonise, andsome say raw feeding is dangerous. I don't knw, I'm completely torn on the issue.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 09:49:48 PM »
A normal healthy dog that is not immuno supressed in any way should have no problems whatsoever eating raw chicken, their stomach acid is extremely strong, unlike our own :lol:  :lol:

I think there are risks involved feeding raw bones and raw meat, but the benefits in my opinion, totally outweigh this risk.  I did a lot of reading before deciding to switch to this diet and felt totally confident and convinced that this was the best I could give my dog and I still feel that way :lol:  
JMHO

Linda and Jess (eats raw chick wings every day and has done for the last 4 months :wink: )                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 09:59:59 PM »
Colin, you have me chuckling every time I read your posts :lol:  :lol:

(By the way, I'm not being sarcastic about the topic) :lol:

Have you been reading Shakespeare lately :shock:  :wink:  :?:  :wink:                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 10:28:26 PM »
Penny

Welcome to the club :lol:  :lol:  

Linda and Jess                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 09:00:17 AM »
We gave the wings a go this week - Brogan looked at me like I was daft :shock: He ummed and arred for what seemed like ages.  He didn't however give it up :wink:

2 days later we tried again this time with 2 wings - didn't last as long this time :D .  My friend was in having a cuppa - she cringed at every crunch - her face was a picture :twisted:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 11:42:28 AM »
Hi Laura and penny welcome to the club as Linda says , as I too feed raw chicken wings along with other various raw foods and supplements its the best thing I have ever done
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline PennyB

Chicken wings
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 12:25:23 PM »
Am only going as far as the chicken wings with the natural food and the rest of the time they're on Burns and the odd fresh carrot. Its hard work getting the things though and have eventually managed to find a butcher in the market who does them. Can't understand why people get so squeamish over them though.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Chicken wings
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 02:41:41 PM »
Don't know if I could go the whole hog and just feed raw - Brogan is on Naturediet which is working out fantastic for us.  Do feel though that he benefits from some of the raw stuff.  Turned my stomach today though when I scraped some of the marrow up from the bone parts he couldn't reach - yuk!

Brogan also eats carrots and broccoli raw - only cause he pinches it from the guinea pigs when they are being fed! :D   They squeak and he goes running to the cage (live in the hall next to Brogans crate - furry friends together).

My worst experience to date was cutting a raw pig ear in half - must've hit a vein as blood squirted all over me :( .  Have some left in the freezer.  Are they ok for them to eat uncooked? He's only ever had the one - didn't upset his tummy - only mine :roll:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

scoobie

Chicken wings
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 11:38:40 AM »
Hi Laura That sounds gross! I don't feed pork of any sort to my dog because it upsets his stomach. I feed completely raw but don't have any experiences like squirting veins ..no just simple stuff like wings, mince and veg, tuna, egg, muscle meat diced lamb or beef plus supplements and sometimes bio yoghurt not the sweet stuff. with raw carrots and dried liver (which I buy) for treats. I have to add that I feed this over a period of time and not all at once. It's quick and healthy and not at all squirmish
Edith and scoobie
p.s I have read about nature diet and if I wasn't feeding raw that would be my option. I used to feed burns and that was pretty good but never seemed to satisfy his appetite and did'nt help with clearing up his endless ear infections!