Author Topic: patella luxation  (Read 1456 times)

Offline irmapjm

• Site Member
patella luxation
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:49:19 PM »
Hi there, I am looking for some advice. I have a working cocker - she does have some show in her line- I have just been to the vets, because she was bitten by another dog, and found out that she has patella medial luxation in one leg. It is a grade 1 and does not seem to bother her and does not seem to be painful. She is very active and enjoys running and retrieving the ball etc.  I was considering breeding her at her next season. Her eyes are clear and so are the stud dogs. However, I am in a quandary about the patella luxation - the vet suggests it should not stop her having puppies but I am worried that it could be passed on. It is difficult to say whether it occurred from a trauma, given her running as retrieving games, or whether it was inherited. I guess I am seeking advice and wonder what you guys would say.
I look forward to hearing from you

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: patella luxation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »
welcome to COL  :D

Are you saying you have had your bitch Optigen tested?

I'm also a little bit wary that you are saying she is a working cocker/show cocker mix and you want to breed her (sorry but you did ask) as in my eyes that doesn't improve either the working stock or show stock  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:50:21 PM »
welcome to COL  :D

Are you saying you have had your bitch Optigen tested?

I'm also a little bit wary that you are saying she is a working cocker/show cocker mix and you want to breed her (sorry but you did ask) as in my eyes that doesn't improve either the working stock or show stock  :-\

Ditto what Helen has said, other than the LP there are other things to think about before deciding if your dog is suitable to breed from, especially if she's a worker/show cross. Good cocker breeders either want to breed better show dogs or better working dogs in order to improve the breed.

My 16 month old working cocker had a grade 3 traumatic LP caused by an injury sustained as a small puppy. He had surgery on it 8 weeks ago and has his follow up x rays tomorrow. There's a thread on here about it, I'll find it and put the link on here for you to read; it's very long but it might be useful.

ETA: here is Rodaidh's thread... http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=38886.0
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
You know your dog has this so what would you do if a puppy goes on to get Patella Luxation, it could get costly as it's not as if you can say neither of the parents had it  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »
Our Buffy has luxating patellas in both back legs.  She was in quite a bad way - although it didn't seem to bother her, just us - as her legs used to go "out" all the time.  She never went far from us as a baby and would scream if any other dogs came close.  Then we discovered hydrotherapy!
She is like a completely different dog.  She is confident, runs around, chases anything that moves and her legs seem so much stronger than ever before.  She is always going to have the weakness I am sure, and the vet says if he operates, she will have to be crated 24/7 until the first leg heals (just out for wees on a lead) then the same with the other leg.  Then she would probably get arthritis when she is about 7 or 8 years old.
If he doesn't operate, she will probably get arthritis when she is 7 or 8 years old!!!!
Therefore, so long as nothing else happens, she is not having the op - just the hydrotherapy.  At the moment she goes once or twice a week, but we hope that will get less as she gets older.
There is no way I would ever dream of breeding from her - she is incredibly lucky as she is really small and light (measuring just over 10" at the shoulder!) and as she is now 15 months old, I don't think she will get much bigger than this. 
Her parents were both tested once this problem was discovered and both were clear, but her breeders are still not going to put that pair together again (as far as I know anyway) just in case.
It has been incredibly worrying, and expensive (hydro sessions are not cheap and we are still waiting to hear about the insurance company covering it and if so how many sessions) and I would not swap Buffy for the whole world - but to put any extra strain on her legs?  No way.
Sorry, just my opinion, but you did ask.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
Aww Penny poor wee love  :luv: Glad the hydrotherapy is helping her  :luv:

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »
Just to add, when Buffy's breeder heard about her condition, she asked us to take her to see their own vet - which we willingly did - and when they confirmed the diagnosis, the breeder gave us our money back.  :luv:
It was a lovely gesture and has certainly helped pay towards the hydrotherapy sessions - if you bred from your girl, would you be prepared to return the money paid for any pups that had a problem? And would you take the puppy back if that is what the new owner wanted?  Just a thought......
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »
Just to add, when Buffy's breeder heard about her condition, she asked us to take her to see their own vet - which we willingly did - and when they confirmed the diagnosis, the breeder gave us our money back.  :luv:
It was a lovely gesture and has certainly helped pay towards the hydrotherapy sessions - if you bred from your girl, would you be prepared to return the money paid for any pups that had a problem? And would you take the puppy back if that is what the new owner wanted?  Just a thought......

what a fantastic breeder! Good luck with everything!  :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
I most definately wouldn't contemplate breeding from a dog with luxating patellas. Unfortunately you won't be able to prove if it was hereditary or caused by injury  :-\ If you can relate it back to a definate and specific trauma or accident them maybe breeding could be considered but it doesn't sound like you can? I am surprised that your vet did not advise that you shouldn't breed from her :o

I feel strongly about this because I have been on the receiving end of a dog with LP's and I know how much heart ache and pain it can cause...our dogs parents as far as I know weren't affected (but if it was a grade 1 - who knows?) the gene must have been passed down and the parents could have been carriers... I didn't even breed from our dogs litter brother who had perfect Patellas incase he carried the gene, i had to rehome him..It's unfortunate that there is not a genetic test for LP's as I think LP's are more wide spread than people think especially grade 1's which may never be detected until a trip to the vet reveals a weakness...

It's bad enough for the poor unfortunate breeder who wasn't aware of the problem and I am sure just as upsetting for them,  but to breed knowing there is a problem is very irresponsible.I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear :-\

That was really kind of Buffy's breeders  :luv:

Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline irmapjm

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
thanks everyone for your replies. Clearly I will not breed from my little girl if the condition is herediary - I guess that is why I asked for your advice. I had not heard of the condition before and have subsequently been doing some research about it. I feel as strongly as you guys about not having puppies that may potentially have the condition - that would clearly be amoral. I have tried to contact the breeder I got her from but alas no reply. I have a feeling she had moved and I don't have her new details.

I do object though to comments about the pure working and the pure show. My girl is a fantastic hunter and would have been terrific in the filed - I do not go to shoots etc for two reason I don't eat meat and I have not got the time to devote to the training needed. However, I am dedicated to training my dog and I am currently having one to one to work on her hunting instinct i.e. you can flush but you cannot chase.
For me having had a show dog and now almost 100% working I would have a working dog every time more intelligent, responsive and fun to be with.
thanks again

Offline irmapjm

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:16:17 AM »
hi everyone, just to let you know given the moral and ethical implications of Holly's patella luxation I decided not to breed from her. Although her condition is minor and does not stop her running and jumping over things it would be wrong to perpetuate the condition down her line. She was spayed on Friday, that in itself was traumatic for me. She is doing really well now and it is difficult not to let her run around and chase a ball.
thanks everyone

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 08:03:47 AM »
I think you have done the right thing for your own peace of mind if anything else. I hope she is recovering well from been spayed :luv:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »
Well done you for making the responsible decision.  :D  Hope you have many happy and healthy years with your little girl  :luv: :luv:
Julie and Watson