Author Topic: Would it be mad  (Read 4028 times)

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
Would it be mad
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:21:57 PM »
It is not even a week since Barney died and I miss him much although I have found great comfort in Milly (9 year old Cocker cross we got as a rescue pup) and Ali (roughly 11 year old boxer abandoned near our house 2 months ago). I hoped that sometime in the distant future I would own another little Cocker boy but not for a good while. However today I found out that a family near me are moving abroad and need to rehome their 3 year old black male Cocker (bearing in mind Barney was 4 and black). This little boy goes to our vets. He is in good health and is very gentle. I didn't know whether or not to phone but I eventually did writing down a lot of things to ask. I thought that I would get an answer that would show me that this boy was not for us. However he is good with people, other dogs, house-trained, lives with a cat and loves children. He has been used to living in the country and exercising in fields. In other words he would fit in well with our house-hold.
There is someone else interested but the owner is reluctant to leave him with them as they live in the city and the owner does not think he would be happy cooped up.
Would I be mad to go to see this little boy? I am torn. Am I being disloyal to my boy even considering it? Am I acting too quickly after the loss of my special boy and trying to bring him back?

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: Would it be mad
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
Only you can decide if you are ready, but i don't think anyone would think you are being disloyal to Barney. :-* :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
I agree with Beth only you would know if you are ready - but in now way would it be disloyal to Barney at all. If it was me it would help me heal but not forget!!!

Good luck

L&O x

Offline KatieJean

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »
No you are not being disloyal at all. It seems that it was in your mind to get another cocker anyway. You know very well you can't bring Barney back. Each one comes with their own love and they are all different.
It seems to me that maybe this was meant to be, but then I do believe that way and some people don't. You will always remember Barney. When you see this dog if you decide to go something will make it feel right or not. Trust your instinct. We have Willow now and she looks like Holly to the point hubby keeps calling her Holly and she is a pickle like Daisy but she also has her own character,
Good luck with your decision, hope all goes well.
Sorry for your sad loss of Barney he was obviously very loved.
Kate.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
I personally don't think you are being disloyal at all, we had our previous cocker Donald for nearly 16 years, we lost him in the November and George was born a month later in the  December, he certainly did'nt replace Donald and i have never forgotten him  :luv: we found we just have more love to give to another one. Only you can decide what feels right for you, although this new little guy does sound as if he would fit into your household very well.
Good luck whatever you decide :luv:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
Ditto what the others have said

go with your heart

see this boy, only you will know if it is right

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »
Seems too much like fate to not go for it! But i agree maybe once youve met him you will have your answer in your heart!  :luv:

Good luck!  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:39:32 PM »
I should add that I worry Ali won't be with us very long. She is a real sweetheart but she is elderly and her tumours seem to be growing again. The vet from the Rescue  is going to have a look at her on Friday. She is in good form though and eating like a horse so maybe I am worrying unnecessarily.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
Go with your heart  :blink: He's sounds lovely and you can offer him a loving home  :luv:

Sometimes the timing is not perfect but I think you should go and visit him, then you will have your answer  :blink:

It wont stop Barney being your special boy, maybe this cocker coming along was ment to be  :luv: :blink:

Jo

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:40:37 PM »
I think these things are fated and what ever decision you make will be the right one :-*
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »
I'll be different and say go with your gut feeling --- if it feels right do it
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
I think these things are fated and what ever decision you make will be the right one :-*

I agree with this, and I don't think you are being disloyal in the slightest, it's a compliment to Barney that you  want another cocker  ;) :luv:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
Agree with the others - its not disloyal in the slightest, having a new cocker in your life will never diminish your love for Barney and have to say its almost like it was meant.......also what luck for this boy who is looking for a new home through no fault of his own, that he may have the chance to live with someone who will love and cherish him as he deserves to be :luv:

Bens mum

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
I echo all the other comments made, you are in no way being dis-loyal to Barney.

Go with your gut instinct. 

Good Luck whatever you decide x
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 05:07:22 PM »
I'll be different and say go with your gut feeling --- if it feels right do it

wot she said. :)

definitely don't feel guilty, but do ask yourself whether you are really prepared to take on an unknown who is likely to be very different to your barney. if you feel that you are emotionally strong enough then that's brilliant and you should definitely go meet the other dog, but you need to consider whether the potential stresses might be too much for you to deal with right now.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'