Author Topic: What colour???  (Read 6874 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
What colour???
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2004, 02:33:42 PM »
I have 4 Orange Roan and 1 Blue Roan  :D                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
What colour???
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2004, 07:13:54 PM »
uuuurrrrggggggghhhhh  :(  I looked at the black and tans because thats what colour Billy is,there was one with a great big bird  in its mouth!I hope it was dead! :(

I love Blue roans, think they are beautiful. thats what colour i would have next                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
What colour???
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2004, 07:35:41 PM »
uuuurrrrggggggghhhhh  :(  I looked at the black and tans because thats what colour Billy is,there was one with a great big bird  in its mouth!I hope it was dead! :(

My dogs have great big birds (yes they are dead) in their mouths every year from august to october  :lol: . My dogs are used for hunting (retrieving to be more specific), this is what cockers were originally bred for.                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
What colour???
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2004, 08:03:44 PM »
Are red and golden the same thing? I always thought so but I've seen both colours on some sites under different headings  :?  
Toby is a chestnut colour but I've seen some very blonde golden's, is it just variations on the same colour or is it classed seperately?

I thought red and gold were the same thing too until reading on here they are actually classed as separate colours. Jimmy's breeder put "red" on his pedigree certificate, she has been breeding Cockers for 50 years so that's good enough for me, a red Cocker he is. :lol: From  his photos Toby looks to be a very similar shade to Jimmy so I would think he is a red too. :D

LLady, I think you were confused by the "silver" Cocker on a previous thread, it turned out it was a black and white photo of a red Cocker. :lol:  The photo was from the opening page of the Solid Cocker Assoc website.

http://www.solidcolourcockers.fsnet.co.uk/solid.htm                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
What colour???
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2004, 10:05:48 PM »
:?   I'm confused - Morgan doesn't seem any lighter than Jimmy but his KC registration has gold as his colour. I suppose it's quite difficult to know when they are pups as they are so light then anyway - lots of people thought Morgan was a golden retriever  :roll:  :roll: when he was a pup.  I've seen dogs that are lighter and ones that are darker than him so who knows  :?  :wink:  :D  

Like the silver cocker  :lol: There's a little pic of Morgan's mum Cindy on that page as George designed the site  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
What colour???
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2004, 10:28:30 PM »
I have to admit, I saw a golden cocker puppy a few weeks ago and I thought it was a golden retriever too  :oops: It was so sweet, I was almost tempted to steal it  :lol:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
What colour???
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2004, 05:14:16 PM »
my last golden girl would have been a red according to that ive always called them gold but she was nearly redsetter colour but with lighter hair on her head a lovely colour when you looked at it , it was like shimmery. ive had 2 red but one the same colour as morgan very light goldeny no change in head hair :D i think the colour varies alot ! so call them what you want :D after all the colours do deepen from pups so it must be hard telling exactly what they will turn out to be .                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
What colour???
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2004, 02:46:51 PM »
My little boy is liver, white and tan (tri) so that's another one to add to the collection.                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline bunny

• Site Member
What colour???
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2004, 08:52:37 PM »
i am not sure how true this is, one of the breeders said to me when we first started looking for elmo, many moons ago, that the solids had a poor temperment compared to the broken colours or maybe a better way of putting it is roans or tricolour etc...seemingly blacks are known to be temperment wise one of the worst, i dont know can anyone back this up or put it totally wrong, as originally i was looking for a black or a golden colour. :roll:                    

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
What colour???
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2004, 07:23:58 PM »
Bunny

I was told exactly the same thing by quite a few breeders.  We originally wanted a golden cocker after seeing some 12 week old pups (stunning), but having 2 kids under 5 were strongly advised not to go for a solid.  We now have Molly (see left) who is an orange roan as a result of this advice.  

It got me thinking though, are all solids unsuitable in households with children?  Surely they can't all suffer from Rage Syndrome.  One breeder was quite happy to let us have a gold because she said she knew the temperament of the parents.  We didn't take the risk though (didn't want to risk having a pup re-homed) and we wouldn't change Molly for the world, obviously!

Tracey & Molly                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
What colour???
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2004, 08:49:32 PM »
I think its a shame when the solids are written off as being emotionally unstable :(  and that new owners are being put off by the scare stories.  My Dallas is a solid black and I would trust him completely in a  house with children.   Because he looks cute, children seem drawn to him like a magnet and he doesn't bat an eyelid. He will be 2 in October and I have never so much as heard him grumble at anything - he just has a wonderful nature.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
What colour???
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2004, 09:34:12 PM »
I too find this interesting - coz when I was looking for Jasper - I was told that it's the blue roans that are a tad iffy :wink:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
What colour???
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2004, 10:45:56 PM »
We got told by one breeder that 'roans' were more highly strung than solids (and we went ahead and picked a Roan, anyway!). I was also misinformed about Rage Syndrome; and re-educated about it by COL and http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/

Having spent a few weeks 'talking cocker' I have learnt that some breeders/owners have such strong preference for their 'favourite' that they will criticise other breeds/colours in favour of their own preference :shock:

The comments so far seem to support my theory  :wink:

Hands up how many COL members prefer cockers to other breeds  :lol: ?                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
What colour???
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2004, 11:12:26 PM »
Well I have three young children and one of those evil golden cockers.

Here he is in typical aggressive pose

Sorry, know it's a cliche thing to post these pictures. But I am so tired of hearing that solids are unpredictable and all have rage. It's nonsense. True rage syndrome does exist but it's rare. If you buy your puppy from a responsible breeder there is every reason to expect it will turn out to be a loving family companion (if trained correctly) and will be reliable with young children.

It's great that breeders acknowledge the problem, and good breeders would never breed from adult dogs with "iffy" temperaments (whatever the colour)...and surely if you believe it's restricted to solids, and therefore is genetic, then you believe that buying a puppy from parents of excellent temperament from good lines will in almost all cases result in a friendly dog?  :?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What colour???
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2004, 11:53:18 PM »

Having spent a few weeks 'talking cocker' I have learnt that some breeders/owners have such strong preference for their 'favourite' that they will criticise other breeds/colours in favour of their own preference :shock:  

This is certainly true :lol: There's a lot of ignorance as well out there from people who should know better :wink: There are some solid breeders I would not recommend to anyone but there are some particolour breeders producing iffy temperaments too. I often get enquiries for solids even though I don't breed them & always do my best to recommend good solid breeders instead of saying "oh you mustn't get a solid puppy" as I'm afraid some breeders do :( There are good & bad breeders in all the different colours but some people seem to forget this :wink:

Jane                    
Jane