Author Topic: Any advice on putting a lead on a pup .........  (Read 1287 times)

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
Any advice on putting a lead on a pup .........
« on: May 12, 2004, 02:38:01 PM »
....without it being chewed off, or him strangling himself :?:
It's me asking about our Sammy again. Is 13 weeks too soon, I don't think it is, but we are new to this. I've tried what the 'manual's' say, and taken advice on what others have said, but we are desperate to take him out after his jabs and we want him used to it by then...so what are the tricks to do it :?:  :?  He swizzles around and round trying to chew it off. I hold the looped end with one hand and hold it near to his collar with the other, and he won't have any of it. It's like breaking in a horse from I've seen on the TV :!:    :roll:                    
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

scoobie

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 02:53:34 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you but there are no magic tricks or quick fixes to training except consistency and patience :wink: your little fella is very young and has got loads to learn about his new home and family as well as toilet training you really need to try and stop worrying otherwise you will be putting your stress onto him :cry: sorry I don't want this to sound as if I am having a pop at you and I can really understand but you need to relax about this.
your probably better off training him in the house and garden start by putting lead on and take it off if he is biting at it you don't have to be in such a hurry wouldn't you rather you took your time and get it right or rush to take him out and have a stream train pulling you everywhere :lol:
all the best Edith                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 03:08:40 PM »
Billy was the same. Although once we got outside he soon became disinterested in the lead. He suddenly became more interested in sniffing the ground, chasing birds etc. I am sure as soon as he goes out into the big world he will loose interest!                    

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 03:42:30 PM »
first - catch your pup!   :lol:

Seriously though, if you can try & teach him a few basic commands first, like come, sit, stay etc, then, when you're ready to put his lead on, he will come when called, sit for you & stay while you put his lead on.  That's the theory anyway, but remember we're talking about Cockers here & they are little livewires. Just try the basic training for a few days & make it REALLY enjoyable for him, give him treats when he does as you want him to & praise him to the heavens.  An important point to remember is that puppies learn by kindness NOT by punishment. Good luck  :)                    

Offline Louis

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 06:57:17 PM »
Hi

My Louis was the same.  He was 14-15 weeks when we took him for his first walk.  Weeks before ,I used to put his collar on every day, just for a few minutes and walk around the house and the garden with him.  It's hard not to worry as you wonder if your doing it right etc!!.

Even after getting used to the collar, he didn't like going for walks, he used to hide, stop in the middle of the street and sit down etc.  I think it took a long time, maybe a few months, before he was happy going out.
He used to walk really slowly on the way out, but on the way back home he used to practically drag me down the street.

When you think, he had only been used to his home and garden for a long time, going out into the big world must have been pretty scary.

Don't worry, everything will fall into place and you will get there eventually.

Gemma & Louis                    

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 03:00:59 PM »
Hi

My Louis was the same.  He was 14-15 weeks when we took him for his first walk.  Weeks before ,I used to put his collar on every day, just for a few minutes and walk around the house and the garden with him.  It's hard not to worry as you wonder if your doing it right etc!!.

Even after getting used to the collar, he didn't like going for walks, he used to hide, stop in the middle of the street and sit down etc.  I think it took a long time, maybe a few months, before he was happy going out.
He used to walk really slowly on the way out, but on the way back home he used to practically drag me down the street.

When you think, he had only been used to his home and garden for a long time, going out into the big world must have been pretty scary.

Don't worry, everything will fall into place and you will get there eventually.

Gemma & Louis

..............Thanx  :wink:                    

Offline LilyLu

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 08:29:26 PM »
Before we could take Lily out I used to try and put her lead on at home but she would just chew it.  As soon as she was allowed out we put it on her and she was fantastic, I think there were so many other things for her to look at and smell, she didn't seem to notice it.  We're into our third week of walking her now and she is absolutely brilliant, no problems at all, she walks really close to me most of the time until she knows she's near home and then she's almost strangling herself to get there!!

Luan and Lily xx                    

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 09:37:58 AM »
...Awwww she sounds heavenly, but I don't think we will be that lucky with our Sammy somehow. He's being a little horror at the moment, yakking/nipping/biting & running around in a frenzy etc. He just won't listen to anything at the moment. We have a couple of days of pure magic, then a couple more of little horror!!  Couldn't help noticing you registered on my birthday... :oops: