Author Topic: he ain't heavy, he's my cocker......  (Read 1304 times)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
he ain't heavy, he's my cocker......
« on: May 12, 2004, 07:11:43 PM »
....well, actually he is, I think, very heavy! Pickle hadn't been weighed since we were last at the vets in March. So I weighed him yesterday, and at just over 6 months, he is just over 15kg!!! Does that seem quite a lot to you? He's not particularly greedy, gets a fair old bit of exercise, and seems very happy overall. But when I go to lift him he feels like a ton-weight!!! Is there any definitive guide to Cocker weight? Also, will he be fully grown at this age, or will he get even bigger/heavier?
Thanks in advance
Emma and tubby-tum xx                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 07:14:54 PM »
Indie's just over 6 months, and around the same - he was 14.5kgs last month, and I think he's heavier now. My vet said he was *perfect* - not too skinny, not too fat.

I think they can keep growing a wee bit up to a year old, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 07:29:37 PM »
Piper is almost 1 and is just under 16KG  :shock:   I thought she was a little overweight and took her to the vets to get their opinion - they agreed and advised that a fully grown Cocker should be between 12 and 15KG.

Following on from that - and having gained advice from others on COL - I completely changed her diet and we have noticed a slight weight loss but nothing as dramatic as I was expecting, given how much I had cut down on her food  :?  

I am confident that she is not getting more food than she needs and her treats are carrotts (which she thinks are fantastic), but I feel that like us, all Cockers are different and therefore their weight will vary accordingly.  Her dad was quite big and her mum was not tiny so it's obviously in her genes to be larger (sounds much nicer than heavier :wink: ).

That said she is the greediest little thing and will eat just about anything she can get her mouth so we do have to be aware of any food items that accidentally drop on the floor as they are gone in an instant!                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 09:12:32 PM »
Brook is 15.3kg and he looks very fat(as those who met him last year at SKC will be able to testify :lol: ). Yet I've seen other cockers come in weighing almost 18kg who don't look fat at all .  Like has been said, they are all different and you tend to have to go more with their body shape than the actual weight as there is quite a range.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Roba

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 09:48:28 PM »
Cassie and Sky are about the same height,but Cassie is about 12kg and Sky is 15.6 but does'nt look or seem fat                    
Paul,Cassie and Sky

Offline T

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 10:28:45 PM »
We have a Spud at 14 months who's now ... opps need a converter ... 2 stone 2 lbs ... still measuring the old way!!  :wink: :wink:                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 10:48:52 PM »
Hi All

My Sebastian is on the big side just over 16 inches tall and very heavily built he was tipping the scales at 18KG but I've got him down to 14.5KG and the Vet is very pleased with him.  I would watch yours as I'm sure they aren't as heavily built as Sebastian.  A good indicator on how fat they are is if you can get your hands around the waist if there is no chance then I would say they need to loose some weight if they nearly meet then I would say that was fine.  You should be able to feel the ribs but not see them.

HTH                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands