Author Topic: Anyone heard of this site for DNA Testing?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
Anyone heard of this site for DNA Testing?
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
http://www.laboklin.co.uk/laboklin/showGeneticTest.jsp?testID=8094 DNA testing lab in the UK? Just snooping around on the internet and came accross it. I'd only ever heard of Optigen in the US before? They seem to do mouth swabs (I think thats what Buccal Swabs are), not just blood tests?

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Anyone heard of this site for DNA Testing?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »
When I received the e-mail from this company I e-mailed Optigen to ask if they knew of them, this is what they had to say:

Subject: Re: Fw: RE: Familial Nephropathy and PRA prcd in English cocker Spaniel

Dear Sharon,
    Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.  We have had no direct communication from this company on these subjects and it is not very clear to me what, exactly, they are claiming to be doing in the way of testing.  OptiGen is the exclusive licensee of a patent for prcd testing that has been granted in Europe and the UK and I have contacted our lawyers regarding their actions.  I hope no one gets fooled by them.
With Kind regards,
Sue

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »
I wrote to Optigen too as Laboklin have been mailing breeders in the UK and got a similar response to Sharon. I also contacted Laboklin to check whether they were licensed to offer these tests and they claimed that they had developed their own PRA test at exactly the same time as Cornell University (patent owners of the prcd_PRA test, licensed to Optigen) but did not register a patent. I also got a second email later saying that there was an error in previous communications and that they send samples to be processed at another external lab (not specified). The fact is Laboklin are not currently licensed to offer either the prcd_PRA test or the FN test in Europe so breeders need to beware ;)

PS Optigen & Antagene both accept cheek swabs so Laboklin don't offer any advantages in this respect
Jane

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:36:27 AM »
Thats really interesting, thank you for that.  :D

Also, I didn't know that Optigen do a swab test, how does that work? Do they send you a kit and then you send it back? I'm hoping to have Roxy tested and would prefer to do a cheek swab than take her for a blood test (I hate needles!!  :005: )

Thanks again for your answers  :D

- Holly -

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »
Also, I didn't know that Optigen do a swab test, how does that work? Do they send you a kit and then you send it back? I'm hoping to have Roxy tested and would prefer to do a cheek swab than take her for a blood test (I hate needles!!  :005: )

Optigen don't supply swab kits but Antagene do (Antagene is one of Optigen's European agents for the prcd_PRA test as well as being licensed to offer the FN test in Europe). If you just want to do the PRA test, you can request a swab kit from Antagene, then order and pay for your test on Optigen's site, then follow the instructions for sending the sample to Antagene on their site (they will then send the extracted DNA on to Optigen)

Jane

Offline Bryning

• Site Member
    • Bryning Border Collies and Working Cockers
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
Hi Holly, I used cheeck swabs when I DNA tested Teal and Drake, if you pm me your address (I know I'll have it somewhere) I'll send you some swabs.

Cheers
Nat, Teal and Drake x
www.bryningbordercollies.com

"The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »
Thanks for that Nat, I've e-mailed you  :D

Offline Mazame

• Site Member
    • ECS de Mazamé
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 07:34:23 AM »
Laboklin is a German lab. They have offered a PRA test for about 2 years and first, it costed half the price of the Optigen test. A Dutch breeder had her dogs tested first with Optigen and then with Laboklin and got the same results. We have another lab in France which is able to test PRA : Genindexe.

A French breeder told me that in fact, Optigen didin't have the exclusive license for this test in Europe except for the UK.
Cassandre, Julie, Gala, Filibert and Pupuce.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
A French breeder told me that in fact, Optigen didin't have the exclusive license for this test in Europe except for the UK.

Not true after January 2008 according to Optigen's website : http://www.optigen.com/opt9_europeanupdate8117.html
Jane

Offline Mazame

• Site Member
    • ECS de Mazamé
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »
Ok, she told me that before January 2008.  ;)
Cassandre, Julie, Gala, Filibert and Pupuce.