Author Topic: puppy sleeping  (Read 3780 times)

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
Re: puppy sleeping
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »
Do you wake up and see him before he makes noise?! or just going in at regular intervals? suppose you could try just leaving him, although obviously if it is a big problem with the neighbours and noise i know this is an issue, i was soo relieved marty has settled into our house after staying at my parents for 2/3 weeks as i live in a terraced house and the walls are very thin. I think most of the time they just whine for attention ( i am no expert on this ) as marty started doing it for the first few days but soon learned nothing happend and happily settled down.

How old is he now?

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
Hes 10 weeks wednesday!

Well tonight i am going to ignore him when he wakes at 3! Im separating his crate, half bed half pad. I cannot function right without catching up on some sleep - and i have a feeling he isnt going to sleep through any time soon, i do believe he has got used to getting up and going out, whether he needs a wee or not?  :-\

REUBY DOOO!

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 06:15:11 PM »
awww, well see what hes like tonight you never know he may actually decided to just go on the paper in his crate, But i'd say defintly a good plan i am soo soo relieved after hearing all the trouble you've been going through that marty sleeps right through the night he was 9 and a bit weeks when i got him so similarish age, i'm sure he'll soon realise that he can  cope all night without having to wake up and make noise.
Good luck, i know the whining and the crying is awful even if i did only have it for 15minutes on the first night. ( honestly that came out more smug than i intend ) trust me when he starts getting worn out from walks etc they sleep a lot better, i was really naughty again and didnt wake up when my alarm went off at 8.15 and slept in for an extra hour..... im a terrible mum!
x

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
awww, well see what hes like tonight you never know he may actually decided to just go on the paper in his crate, But i'd say defintly a good plan i am soo soo relieved after hearing all the trouble you've been going through that marty sleeps right through the night he was 9 and a bit weeks when i got him so similarish age, i'm sure he'll soon realise that he can  cope all night without having to wake up and make noise.
Good luck, i know the whining and the crying is awful even if i did only have it for 15minutes on the first night. ( honestly that came out more smug than i intend ) trust me when he starts getting worn out from walks etc they sleep a lot better, i was really naughty again and didnt wake up when my alarm went off at 8.15 and slept in for an extra hour..... im a terrible mum!
x

I had no probs with Charley and felt so sorry for the people coming on saying how their pup was keeping them up - now look - im one!!  >:D Either way, i aint getting up at 3 o clock! Im getting up at 6 am and Reuben needs to get used to it!  :-\

Im sure you didnt mean to sound smug! Dont worry i shall sort this little man out!  ;)

Thanks

REUBY DOOO!

Offline ROSIEA

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »
We have never gottn up to Rosie since she came home in May.  She barks occasionally when we put her to bed but then we hear nothing until approx 6.30am.  However the down side is we usually have a puddle to greet us but that was our choice and she is getting better.  Sometimes I think the weeing in the utility room is just habit as she can go longer without weeing during the day >:(  Hope it gets better soon. xxx

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »
Does toileting in the crate have a long term effect on house training them when an adult?

Right i have a bigger crate now, he has room to toilet and his bed and toys! Fingers crossed tonight because i really am shattered!  :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 12:47:07 AM »
Does toileting in the crate have a long term effect on house training them when an adult?
 Fingers crossed tonight because i really am shattered!  :005:

aww that must be horrible, makes me dread to think of the time i have kids, as im a first time dog owner i have noo idea how much of a long term effect on house training the crate has, although marty has soon learnt that he waits until morning to go toilet, well he may well be weeing in his crate, i have vet bed down now just to see how he settles and it doesnt feel wet or smelly so as far as i know he hasnt been going toilet in there ( i wash it every week as i have a spare one that goes down) he does still have paper inside the kitchen that he can go toilet on but majority of the time this is just for when we need to go out so he has somewhere specific to go.

Im sure he will get the hang  of it soon and be a good boy and let you sleep! Now im suddenly scared that hes been crying for me and i havent heard him coz im now upstairs...

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »
Reuben was in a bigger crate last night, plenty room for his paper then his bed bit. He was shattered last night as he normally falls asleep at 8 but we took him to MIL to play with Suzie. Anyway put him in his crate at 11 then i went up to bed at 11.30, didnt hear him barking/crying until 5.30. Waited until my partners alarm went off at 6 before he went down. I stayed in bed, he said he had pooed in his crate, he did his scrambled egg and stayed in the garden with him until he went to work, he put him back in his crate - id gone back to sleep and only woke to him barking at 7.45 (not sure how long he had been barking for).

If we can get him to be good until 6 il be very happy indeed!  :D My son is back from France tonight, and back at school tomorrow, as i feel not having a routine of any sort isnt helping at all!

But il be hiding from the neighbours again today!  :embarassed:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
Wow, well its a fantastic start, looks quite promising if you can get him into this sort of a routine especially with your son going to school.

. Anyway put him in his crate at 11 then i went up to bed at 11.30, didnt hear him barking/crying until 5.30. Waited until my partners alarm went off at 6 before he went down. I stayed in bed, he said he had pooed in his crate, he did his scrambled egg and stayed in the garden with him until he went to work, he put him back in his crate - id gone back to sleep and only woke to him barking at 7.45 (not sure how long he had been barking for).

he has scrambled eggs for breakfast!? lucky dog  :005: well if you only woke up at 7.45 and heard his barking then he cant have been that loud, i'm sure he will settle down into that routine soon. he may even start to not wake up at 5.30 although if your partner is the one giving him breakfast etc may not be such a bad thing.

Well done Reuben!

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 12:16:58 PM »
Yes today has been a better day all round! Put him in his crate an hour ago because i really needed to nip into town, waited until he had fallen asleep, then sneaked out! Not sure if hed cried or not but he was silent when i came back and listened at the door and he looked like he had only just woke up and no wees in the crate! So hopefully we are on the right track?  :D Like i said, there has been no routine. After a few nights, charley knew he was up at 6 straight in the garden for a wee and usually a poo, then breakfast a little play then back into his crate till 7 - 7.15 until his little playmate got up!!  :luv:

Yes the breeder gave him scrambled egg, he does actually look forward to it, and dances around when the microwave is on - so i dont mind! My son usually has omlettes for his breakfast, so 1 minute in the microwave is sure better than chopping tomatoes and frying pans.  :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Milly Molly

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »
Molly was exactly the same. Slept throughout the day and cried during the night. But a week into staying with us, she calmed down and had a few naps during the day and sleeps during the night. But she loves waking me at 5am!! So blurry eyed me clambers out of bed, my feet being attacked by her and then put her outside for a wee. She comes bounding in, find me asleep again so she pounces on me. Then the cheeky moo, once im wide awake, breakfasted and dressed, she goes and has a peaceful sleep!

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 07:16:25 AM »
Well got till about 5.45 out of him this morning, but came down to find hed pooed and weed in his crate. He had a poo late last night, so i cant understand why he feels the need to squeeze one out during the night? Do you think now hes doing it in his crate, he'l always do it? Hed quite happily poo and wee on his bedding also  :-\ :-\ something i thought they wouldnt do?

Also once he wakes he barks and barks - what do i do about waiting for a break, as there doesnt seem to be one? Plus my partner is a typical man and takes all of ten minutes to get ready and out the door at 6.15, so doesnt tend to have time to hang around waiting for Reuben to hush.

Milly Molly he is fast asleep now hes woke us all up! Im now forced to watch boomerang all morning, because he woke my son up too!  >:D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 07:22:43 AM »
I am FAR from an expert, and talking from someone that did not use a crate, I still think you did really really well,  he is soooo young, and using the other end of his crate is fine I am sure, and he has such a little bladder etc, he can't be expected to go through the whole night without doing something, and if you have decided to leave him now for the night (which is fine, not a critasism) then surely you are going to have accidents in the morning

Our little one is  14.5 weeks, he goes from around 10:15 till 6am,  the first thing he does in the morning is run outside for a poo and a pee.  Some mornings he still gets up at 5:30, I think it is quite good really

Hey, remember our human babies,  poo nappies, night feeds, that went on for months, dogs do get there a lot quicker, I think he is doing well.

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 07:46:59 AM »
I am FAR from an expert, and talking from someone that did not use a crate, I still think you did really really well,  he is soooo young, and using the other end of his crate is fine I am sure, and he has such a little bladder etc, he can't be expected to go through the whole night without doing something, and if you have decided to leave him now for the night (which is fine, not a critasism) then surely you are going to have accidents in the morning

Our little one is  14.5 weeks, he goes from around 10:15 till 6am,  the first thing he does in the morning is run outside for a poo and a pee.  Some mornings he still gets up at 5:30, I think it is quite good really

Hey, remember our human babies,  poo nappies, night feeds, that went on for months, dogs do get there a lot quicker, I think he is doing well

I know your right - its just Charley didnt soil his bed, and it worries me that Reuben is always going to poo and wee on his bedding/crate because he thinks its ok to, other than holding it until he goes out!

REUBY DOOO!

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 09:10:25 AM »
Reuben is doing really well, at least he seems to be sleeping through the night well until 5.45  :D i'm sure he will soon cotton on to the fact tthat you like him to go toilet outside( lots of praise and treats?) and will stop going in his crate as much, then again as i said before am no expert but seems like a logical assumption... maybe im just guessing. Also just as all humans have a different metabolism rate maybe puppys do too, maybe it goes through his system quicker, Marty seems to go toilet in the morning after breakfast even though surely he should have digested dinner from the night before?! Who knows. I'd say keep up the good work, sounds like he is improving and im sure he will soon get that you dont want him to soil his bed/crate. What kind of bed do you have for him?!

As all the cocker books/info/COL say they like to please so im sure he'll understand what you'd like him to do in time.