Author Topic: What to do now?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline JerryBerry

What to do now?
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:17:17 AM »
We have just completed Jerry's basic training which he really really enjoyed. He has been invited to join the next class which covers scent work and retrieving but again thats just 6 weeks. Really Im just looking for some advice as to where to turn next - obviously we are aware that working strain cockers need lots of mental stimulation so we are keen to find suitable activities for him but on the other hand he is also a family pet and lives in the house so not really suited to beating etc. Any advice is welcome!
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
Re: What to do now?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:44:53 AM »
Have you thought about oops sorry the idea has gone (senior moment)....
Just remembered that thing with a see saw, hoops etc. you know not flyball the other one. I've work to do but until I remember the word I am looking for I can't leave the site.

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »
Agility?
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »
Agility?

Thanks that't it. You have saved my life, am struggling with my third crime novel but unable to concentrate on murder and mayhem with that on my mind. :005: :005:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 11:57:13 AM »
I think you will find there are several members of COL who work their dogs  but they are also family pets living  in the house,

in fact I don't know of any outdoor cockers on COL  :huh:

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:43:08 PM »
I think you will find there are several members of COL who work their dogs  but they are also family pets living  in the house,

in fact I don't know of any outdoor cockers on COL  :huh:

Ooops! that was quite a sweeping statement then wasnt it! Sorry wasnt meant to offend. I mentioned working him to a fellow cocker owner who we see out walking and he was the one who poo pooed the idea due to the fact that he is a family pet. He said that they tend not to make good workers and can 'mess the day up' as they are too domesticated (probably due to the fact that I had just bent down and kissed Jerrys head!  ph34r He did look pretty disgusted at me!)   Its just me being inexperienced I think, and taking everyones word as law.
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »
Agility?

Thanks that't it. You have saved my life, am struggling with my third crime novel but unable to concentrate on murder and mayhem with that on my mind. :005: :005:

Eve!!!!!! I may need some advice! Gosh, its so strange that you just posted that as I was googling for writers forums to get some advice as to who to approach with a novel I have started. I have heard it is better to write with a publisher in mind, or at least to do some research before the book is finished - whats the first step? PM me if you like as it is a bit off topic  ::)
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I think you will find there are several members of COL who work their dogs  but they are also family pets living  in the house,

in fact I don't know of any outdoor cockers on COL  :huh:

Ooops! that was quite a sweeping statement then wasnt it! Sorry wasnt meant to offend. I mentioned working him to a fellow cocker owner who we see out walking and he was the one who poo pooed the idea due to the fact that he is a family pet. He said that they tend not to make good workers and can 'mess the day up' as they are too domesticated (probably due to the fact that I had just bent down and kissed Jerrys head!  ph34r He did look pretty disgusted at me!)   Its just me being inexperienced I think, and taking everyones word as law.

wow that's pretty old school  - the best workers I know (labs and springers) have heated kennels but spend each evening inside by the fire and are very much loved and 'domesticated' ...so I say that's a load of old Bow Locks.'  I can't think Nicola would agree either as I'm pretty sure her three have the best of both worlds too. ;)

With Jerry, I'd say play it from here for the next couple of months. From 8 - 12 months Jarv turned into teenage Jarv and all we did was re-inforce the training we had already started and didn't try too many new things.  He did the selective hearing thing so whistle training was a blessing there! From around 13 months old he was far more responsive to training and we started agility and did more gundog training.

You can usually start agility at 12 months with him too  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 06:27:24 PM »
If you decide to start agility i'd ring around now, ;) my nearest class has a waiting list so long they closed it. ::)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:18:35 PM »
Thats spot on actually Helen! He has suddenly developed selective hearing!!!! Gary and I were discussing sticking him back on the long line until he 'remembers' recall!!!  So, yeah will definitely do that I think, carry on with the next training and try and reinforce what we have already done until he grows out of the attitude a bit  ::)   it didnt get him too far tonight tho - another dog came along he went bombing over despite me issuing the 'leave' command and the other dog (a hoooooge Boxer) promptly knocked him over and stood on his neck  ::)  he wont learn  ph34r
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 04:30:23 PM »
Some know it all (she has a completly un trained boxer whos a right pain) told me this morning that Jack will never be a proper working dog because her friends got working dogs and you cant let them live in the house, play with other dogs or have toys  ::)
Just makes me more determined to prove you can  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »
I think you will find there are several members of COL who work their dogs  but they are also family pets living  in the house,

in fact I don't know of any outdoor cockers on COL  :huh:

wow that's pretty old school  - the best workers I know (labs and springers) have heated kennels but spend each evening inside by the fire and are very much loved and 'domesticated' ...so I say that's a load of old Bow Locks.'  I can't think Nicola would agree either as I'm pretty sure her three have the best of both worlds too. ;)

Yup, that's a very old fashioned pov as Helen says. Mine all work and we do gundog scurries and stuff in the summer but they live in the house and are definitely pets! They have plenty of toys, love playing with other dogs, get loads of attention and sleep on the sofas (they have one of their own ::)) but despite all this namby pambying they're not too bad at the working :lol2:

With Jerry I'd keep on with the training if you and he enjoy it but I agree with Helen again in that some dogs can be pretty unresponsive in the teenage phase; Rodaidh wasn't, he bypassed that phase completely and did his first two Gundog Club tests at 11 months old but Alfie was a nightmare and all new training pretty much ground to a halt from about 8-16 months for him as we just kept going over recall, stopping chasing and responsiveness again and again.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/