Author Topic: Nothing prepared me for Chloe!  (Read 2274 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Nothing prepared me for Chloe!
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
I never cease to be amazed at how much energy she has got. For example, today we went for an "off-lead" in the forest for an hour and three quarters. And that's me walking at very brisk pace! Of course, she covered 10 times the amount of ground that I did (please, don't give me a row that this is too much exercise for her...we've been building up to this kind of walk gradually, and most days she doesnt get this amount!). Whilst we were out, she was retrieving the ball in fairly heavy heather and undergrowth...so working her little brain too! We get home and she does the wall of death. She then settles for an hour (but not really asleep) and then I take her out for 15 minutes loose lead and heel work. Back in again.......and she's FINALLY asleep in front of the fire, with head on the hearth! No doubt, later on there will be a bit of clicker training too, though I might give that a miss if she's totally pooped!
I honestly put my everything into meeting the needs of a little working cocker, and I think Im just about keeping up with her, but, to any prospective working cocker pup owners out there....PLEASE do be prepared for these little pocket rockets! I am lucky...I don't have to work, I have the energy, lifestyle and time to devote to her.
Sorry for the long post...a long walk in the forest got my brain on overdrive  :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
Re: Nothing prepared me for Chloe!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »
sounds like you have had a great, if not exhausting day. An hour and a half on the beach, followed by a shower and Charlie is pooped!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:41:10 PM »
wait til you meet pepper, shes half springer half working cocker hasnt got an off switch leaves a fair few working cockers standing!
 however my lot although pocket rockets in the truest form go like stink outdoors, for as long as I let them, are lazy gits around the house and doze by the fire . now some may say this is cos they arent pups any more but they have been like this since day 1. All their close relations are like this,  and they are a mix of trial and ordinary workers ( I will try and whizz a few "extra" cockers along with me to the meet up they are all goodnatured wee dogs, peppers the only grumbleguts and shes not that bad its all talk ,  :luv: )

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »
however my lot although pocket rockets in the truest form go like stink outdoors, for as long as I let them, are lazy gits around the house and doze by the fire

Jarv's like this too Jean (No surprise there   ;) ) Like your lot  I think as long they have the right walks (which involves exercise and stimulation) for a decent amount of time you get happy content tired dogs who will chill out and relax in the house  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 05:34:40 PM »
however my lot although pocket rockets in the truest form go like stink outdoors, for as long as I let them, are lazy gits around the house and doze by the fire

Jarv's like this too Jean (No surprise there   ;) ) Like your lot  I think as long they have the right walks (which involves exercise and stimulation) for a decent amount of time you get happy content tired dogs who will chill out and relax in the house  :luv:

Oh I could so steal jarvis!!  :luv: :luv: :luv:
does he do this? Rolos trick.. he lies on my foot or feet so I cant move. or he sneaks off to lie in the hallway and snooze but "be prepared" for all events. The girls just chill,. they flop anywhere. I have an open coal fire and they ALL love toasting themselves by it!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »

does he do this? Rolos trick.. he lies on my foot or feet so I cant move. or he sneaks off to lie in the hallway and snooze but "be prepared" for all events. The girls just chill,. they flop anywhere. I have an open coal fire and they ALL love toasting themselves by it!

yup he is EXACTLY like Rolo  :luv: :luv:  he either has to be touching you or leaning on you or draped on you (feet are preferred) and I swear he dozes with one ear on alert cos he misses nothing  :luv: think you've got a mummy's boy too  :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

yup he is EXACTLY like Rolo  :luv: :luv:  he either has to be touching you or leaning on you or draped on you (feet are preferred) and I swear he dozes with one ear on alert cos he misses nothing  :luv: think you've got a mummy's boy too  :luv: :luv:

yes but his cuddles are all on his terms. If I pick him up to give him a cuddle he will tolerate it for a few mins then like any self respecting boy wriggle like blazes to get away. he reminds me of a schoolboy getting kissed by his mum in front of his mates .. "ew muuum!"
 he likes to do the cuddling not be cuddled if you see what I mean.  :luv: :luv: :luv: I love them all they are all so different in their wee ways. :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »

yes but his cuddles are all on his terms. If I pick him up to give him a cuddle he will tolerate it for a few mins then like any self respecting boy wriggle like blazes to get away. he reminds me of a schoolboy getting kissed by his mum in front of his mates .. "ew muuum!"
 he likes to do the cuddling not be cuddled if you see what I mean.  :luv: :luv: :luv: I love them all they are all so different in their wee ways. :luv:

oh yeah, it's all on Jarv's terms too  :lol2:  funnily enough he loves a cuddle when he's all wet and manky - we call it the 'damp transference system'  ph34r

apologies to skyesue for hi-jacking the thread  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
skye sue I cant wait to meet chloe, she will LOVE Embo! I hope my lot dont show me up Too much and its a pity jarvis lives so far away but I will take the jarvis looklike with me if Im allowed. Jack rolos brother.Mr handsome!  :luv:

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
Ollie's the complete opposite. As long as he's the sofa and the fire's on, he's happy. He's happy with a couple of half an hour walks a day, and doesn't need to go off-lead at all.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 06:11:42 PM »

SkyeSue - you may find once Chloe gets a bit older she is happier to relax more in the house....  ;)

As we do work, Honey is left through the day in the week (with a break at lunchtime) and as a youngster we had to work really hard to make sure she also got enough stimulation and exercise - we built up the walks as she got older, and would do loads of clicker training, searching for treats etc and then, perhaps, by about 9-10pm she would relax.  Now if we have an extra day off, she takes herself off to bed!!
She would not turn down additional walks, and could keep going all day if need be, but these last couple of months I have really noticed her calming down a lot. 
We still do 2 good walks a day, and clicker training most days, as well as play and some searching etc, but the odd time she has missed a walk, it really hasn't phased her. 

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
apologies to skyesue for hi-jacking the thread  :D

Not at all....I love reading about your doggies  :luv:

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 06:52:16 PM »
Ollie's the complete opposite. As long as he's the sofa and the fire's on, he's happy. He's happy with a couple of half an hour walks a day, and doesn't need to go off-lead at all.

He might enjoy it though  ;)

Offline mcphee

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
Manic is how I would describe Rufus's first year. I didn't think I would survive. But there is a calm boy asleep beside me, 3 years later.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »
Manic is how I would describe Rufus's first year. I didn't think I would survive. But there is a calm boy asleep beside me, 3 years later.

OH no! Have I got to wait 3 years before I get peace and quite  >:( Right she's getting rehomed imeadiately  :005: :005: