Author Topic: Working cockers PRA carrier lines?  (Read 1718 times)

Offline JohnW

Working cockers PRA carrier lines?
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »
This is a question aimed at the working fraternity of COL, I was reading through previous posts and some are aware of certain lines that seem to carry the PRA gene. Does anyone know which lines seem to be afflicted with this or is it more rumour? and thus can't be broadcast.

I have had all mine PRA tested now and all apart from 1 are clear, 1 is a carrier but I suspect it could be from her show line as she does have some show in her. I had Bailey Fn tested too and he past on both counts in that test. I have heard rumours and counter rumour about certain lines but knowone seems to have conclusive evidence which lines are carriers.  :huh:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Working cockers PRA carrier lines?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:56:36 PM »
There are no carrier "lines" as such, just carrier dogs so that's why it wouldn't be fair to name any particular line or affix publicly. There are obviously known carrier dogs from the working side just as there are on the show side but that does not mean all dogs from a particular line would be carriers - some would be but not all by any means. I'm not sure why you think your own carrier gets her faulty gene from the show side - it could have come from anywhere in her pedigree but without test results for all her near ancestors, you will never know for sure.

If anyone wants to pass on info about carriers to John, please could they do this by PM please, unless the info is in the public domain (ie via published test results)
Jane

Offline JohnW

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:16:21 PM »
Ahh sorry Jane its just I was reading through the archives and it has been suggested that sometimes lines may be affected possibly through a prevalent carrier parent. One thread in-particular mentioned problems with lines or what appears to have carriers in the progeny of that line the thread is named ( PRA, FN hip problems in working cocker's )The reason I am assuming the show side May be the carrier is mainly down to enquiring about the dogs within her working side and their progeny on the whole seem to indicate names that produce Clear dogs. But you are correct about making assumption's ph34r

Very Sorry  :embarassed:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »
Ahh sorry Jane its just I was reading through the archives and it has been suggested that sometimes lines may be affected possibly through a prevelant carrier parent. One thread inparticular mentioned problems with lines or what appears to have carriers in the progeny of that line the thread is named ( PRA, FN hip problems in working cockers )

Yes you're right in the sense a popular stud dog who turns out to be a carrier for something like PRA or FN can produce a lot more carrier puppies than a less widely used carrier dog but it's still not really correct to say that this means there are carrier "lines" as such. Before we had access to the Optigen test, I think breeders did think more in terms of "suspect lines" but now we do have the test, it's not a problem anymore as we can now identify carrier dogs for sure rather than just have a vague suspicion about some dogs' status as once was the case.

Jane

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:37:14 PM »
I think the problem is and what was being refereed to in that thread is because so few working breeders test it will make you suspicious of a whole line if a few problems have cropped up. If you know there is carriers in it and breeders are not testing you will never know how far it so going to continue down or what your pup could inherit.
as Jayne said if the same happens in a show line the breeder will test and make sure breeding is restricted to carrier-clear and pups are endorsed and tested before breeding so you know the particular dogs status rather than having to be cautious and stay away from all their litters.
Thats just my opinion, hope it makes sense.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:39:51 PM »
It would be beneficial if the Kennel club had a list of readily viewable tested dogs, maybe publish a full list of dogs you could browse through at a glance, The current database is OK if you are looking for a particular dog but could be used to benefit all it would be beneficial for everyone if lists were published in full like a full database of dogs that have gone through the test it will also give a much better perspective on where the carriers are coming from.  :shades:

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:58:37 PM »
Unfortunatly as it stands the less scruplous breeders can keep quiet about a carrying dog and use a clear dog as a marketing tool for ther litters. Perhaps if results were automatically published people would choose not to take the test for fear that their pups would become unsaleable.
I'm not suggesting this would be the case for the good breeders and not many cr@ppy breeders test anyway but I could see there being a problem if results were automatically made public.  :-\
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 09:39:32 AM »
It would be beneficial if the Kennel club had a list of readily viewable tested dogs, maybe publish a full list of dogs you could browse through at a glance, The current database is OK if you are looking for a particular dog but could be used to benefit all it would be beneficial for everyone if lists were published in full like a full database of dogs that have gone through the test it will also give a much better perspective on where the carriers are coming from.  :shades:

They do ;) The KC has easily viewable PDF files of Optigen tested & FN tested dogs. They are not complete lists as submission of FN test results are voluntary (Antagene won't automatically submit results to the KC) & Optigen results were voluntary up until August 2008 when Optigen began automatically sending results to the KC

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1969

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1970

Jane

Offline JohnW

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:12:33 AM »
Now why am I not surprised you came up with the goods Jane  :blink: , I have scoured that kennel club website for these lists, maybe not enough  ph34r cheers Jane I will now be able to do some research on these names now  :D

John.