Author Topic: Strange Season?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Strange Season?
« on: September 14, 2004, 05:00:03 PM »
One of my girls was due to come in season in July, on Sunday she had a tiny bit of red discharge and looked slightly swollen, now it seems to have disappeared again, she's normally a 9 month cycle, but this time it is so far 10 weeks late.

Do you think this is the start of her season? She's never had problems in the past so this seems a bit strange.........maybe her 'full season' will start soon.  My friends dog is very interested, but not to the extent of mounting etc. just keeps sniffing then walking away, so something is definitely hanging about.  She's fine in herself, not drinking excess and eating fine.......I'll just have to keep an eye on her!

My last girl (who lost her litter) her season started exactly the same, so now I'm getting a bit worried.  We are booked in the vets on Monday, all 4 are booked for their boosters, so if nothings happened by then I'll get her to check her out for me.

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Strange Season?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 08:14:19 PM »
Just one thought - you have 4 dogs living together and I don't know if all of them are bitches, but they could be synchronising possibly - so your girl with previously regular seasons may not be the dominant one (phermonally speaking!) - as happened with my springer, who came into season annually without fail for 3 yrs until my cocker Daisy's 2nd season, now they both follow Daisy's 6 monthly cycle.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Strange Season?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 09:38:48 PM »
Yes all girls, but the other 3 were all in season in May of this year, I thought maybe they would have brought her in too, but no, she's decided to last out even longer now, 11 months since her last season, she's every 9 months normally to the day!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Strange Season?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 09:55:54 PM »
maybe its a split season?
Sometimes you can get the signs of a full season with some bleeding and swelling, it can then tail off and appear weeks later. Usually caused by a lack of oestregen when the season first starts.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Strange Season?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 10:00:35 PM »
Maybe, would the vet be able to check her levels for me if nothing has happened, or is it a case of wait and see?

She didn't actually have a bleed as such, just a tiny spot dried on her on Sunday, she looked a little swollen, but even that has disappeared..........maybe I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

There isn't actually any hurry, I don't intend breeding her, it's just strange how suddenly she's gone out of sync when she was normally the one I could count on to the day.

Sue H

Strange Season?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 08:05:29 PM »
Do be aware of a condition called pyometra in un-spayed bitches, which is an infection of the uterus and can present as signs of coming into season.  The discharge is, however, slightly more watery and eventually quite smelly, but they DO  attract dogs because of their hormonal confusion !

This needs immediate Veterinary attention and unless detected very early, normally needs a hysterectomy to return the dog to full health.

My Lab that I had before I got Barley the Cocker had this, and we were lucky to save her, as she had been due in season, and I just thought that was what it was .. Luckily my Vet is ace and turned out on a Saturday night (with her Nurse), operated, sat up all night watching Poppy to make sure she was okay, walked her out in the morning, and returned a grateful and healthy dog to me !!

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Strange Season?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 09:33:18 AM »
All's well, she finally came in season properly on Thursday night, after two weeks of one minute she was, next minute she wasn't.  My vet checked her over and said the two false starts were probably because her hormone levels weren't quite high enough to kick start the season.  Thankfully it's here now and normal.  

Thanks for your replies!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Strange Season?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 10:44:18 AM »
Thats good news Sharon  :)  that is a "split season" then as it's low hormone levels that cause it not to start properly.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Strange Season?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 01:29:59 PM »
I knew in the back of my mind she didn't have a pyo or anything else, but you do still worry don't you!

Everytime I enter the room now she lies on her back showing me........lol.  Just goes to show how often I was checking her doesn't it  :D  

lynseyloo

Strange Season?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 01:58:50 PM »
:lol:  but they do that when they are not in season aswell..  ;)  :lol: