Author Topic: Immune Mediated Anemia  (Read 3040 times)

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« on: September 16, 2004, 03:23:36 PM »
Hi
My 3 year old cocker Bobby has just sadley been diagnosed with this disorder and is currently undergoing residential treatment at the vets.  He is presently on a drip with a very high dose of steroid tablets Prednisone.  He has been there for the last three days but will hopefully be home tomorrow.
The symptoms are extreme anemia, lethargic, weakness pale gums and eyes, lack of appetite etc.
I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this disorder which is sometimes referred to as Auto Immune Anemia?? From what i have read it can be a lifelong illness with hopefully a chance of remission.
Hope anyone can share experiences for a very worried cocker mum!  :(
Thanks Tracy
[size=8]** Tracy & Missy **[/size]

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 03:40:36 PM »
I found this post from Linda (SHANDAREL) one of our members who has a dog that suffered/suffers from this disease, hopefully she may be able to give you some information.

Hi Juel,
It sounds as if Honey as an autoimmune disease which cocker spaniels as a breed are predisposed to.
My oldest cocker Jodie had a form of this called Auto Immune Haemolytic Aneamia about 3 years ago when we were moving house. I believe it was the stress of moving that brought it on. 
Although she was very ill and had to take steroids for several months she is fine now. I do have a lot of info about auto immune problems and if you would like help then please send me an email privately. 
I hope and pray that your Honey will pull through - there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Sorry to hear about your other cocker dying so young - how very tragic that must have been and I expect it is at the back of your mind at the moment.
Be positive and try to be strong.

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 03:43:29 PM »
Thanks for that Gilly, hopefully Shandarel could maybe let me know more when she is online...I think any info at the moment will be greatly appreciated.

Tracy x

scoobie

Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 03:43:58 PM »
Hi Tracy
I don't have any experience of this and to be honest i haven't even heard of it but it sounds really nasty
but just want to say that my thoughts are with you and your little Bobby bless him..
maybe you can start some research and search the net
good luck
Edith

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 06:59:07 PM »
Tracy, of you find Shandarel's name in the user list you can send her a (PM) provate message and she'll receive it as soon as she comes online  ;)  :)  

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 09:24:34 PM »
Hi Tracy,

I had a Cocker that came to me for trimming, with this condition, apparently the yearly booster can have an effect on this condition.  :(

That was about 2 years ago now & he is completely ok, after quite a lengthy time on steroids. :)

www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 10:27:50 PM »
My old cocker was daignosed at the age of 10.
It can be life threatening and in her case it was. But if the dog responds to treatment then their condition can be managed with medication.
There are various causes and in her case she was treated for the symptoms as it was only after surgery for a lump that it became evident that she was suffering from AIHA.
I believe that in her case the cancer she had (that I was unaware of) triggered off the condition. (as can happen), but many factors can trigger it, vaccinations included.
Hope your dog responds to traetment. There is alot of info on the internet about this condition.
Regards,
From Karen  :D  
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 10:32:07 PM »
Auto immune haemolytic anaemia is where the body attacks its own red blood cells and that is why they are so anaemic and tired. You can't just boost the iron content in the diet as it is not that type of anaemia. That is why they use steriods to help.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 11:32:50 PM »
A friend of mine has a cocker bitch with AIHA, and she has managed to reduce her down to a maintenance dose of Prednisolone to 1/2 a tablet every other day.

'Bunny' lives a comfortable and enjoyable life, and although not wuite as energetic as her other dogs, still enjoys a good run with them.  :)  

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 11:52:24 PM »
Tracey - I hope Bobby goes on to make a full and fast recovery, you must be worried about him. He'll be glad to get home tomorrow to his mum, and some extra special treatment no doubt.

I see someone else has touched on what I was going to ask - about this being related to the annual booster.

Any info would be great, it's such a mine field.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »
Chloe has had Auto Immune Haemolytic Anaemia for almost 6 years now.  If I can help in any way, let me know.  Have pm'd you with a few bits and pieces of info that may be of use.  So sorry to hear about Bobby.  
Sheryl    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 09:50:56 AM »
Thanks so much for your replies, I am just off to 'hopefully' pick Bobby up from the vets if his PCV level has risen a little as the vet seems to think he will be happier at home, he is so depressed with being in the vets!!  Fingers crossed he will improve at home with his medication.  I shan't be online for today now but will update soon.  Thanks again
Tracy x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 05:30:31 PM »
Good luck Tracy, hope you can bring Bobby home for plenty of TLC  :wub:

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 07:21:20 PM »
Hi there
Sorry to hear about Bobby.  My bitch Jodie (a blue roan) was 10 years old in June this year and she has made a wonderful recovery.  She is as active as any cocker puppy and could eat for England if I let her (sorry ought to say Wales now I live there!).
It was 4 years ago when she suffered from AIHA and she was on steroids for about 6 months (dosage was gradually reduced). I also gave her various other supplements as recommended to me by a friend who has a beardie with it.  There is a support group which you could join.  Email me privately and I will let you know all about it and give you plenty of info or advice if you need it.
We were very lucky because she was diagnosed by a brilliant vet straight away.  I had never heard of it until then.  The day before she became ill she was perfectly normal and it all happened very quickly.
Give Bobby a hug from me when you get him home and try not to worry too much.
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2004, 12:26:55 PM »
Don't know if these people are who Shandardel means but I found Joanne Dickson (and Joan!) and her site invaluable at the start of Chloes illness.  I just put canine AIHA into Google and chose the first site which was VetNet.  I met many wonderful people who I cannot thank enough for all their help and insight.  After coping with this for almost 6 years now I don't visit as often as I used to but I do go back now and again just to check the latest info.  Speed is indeed the key to a lot of success stories and like Shandardel, my vet had seen other cases (one of their vet nurses dogs had it) so Chloe was in with a fighting chance.  Do visit the site.  You will pick up information that you can put to good use, believe me!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe