Author Topic: A Little Concerned - Luka Sneezing / Rasping  (Read 1232 times)

Offline blister

• Site Member
A Little Concerned - Luka Sneezing / Rasping
« on: September 27, 2004, 10:09:03 AM »
Morning all,

I'm getting a little concerned now - most mornings when I come down at 6.30am and see to Luka, he always gets out of bed and then he starts rasping, it's almost if he's gasping for air - if you know what I mean? This has always bothered me but then after 2 mins or so he's OK.

This morning, however, when I went to see to Luka he was sneezing non-stop for a good minute! Then he was OK!

It's really bothering me now and wonder if there are any obvious reasons for this?
I have never seen him to this at any other times.

To help you all experts, Luka sleeps on a quilt in his basket at night in the kitchen. The kitchen floor is ceramic tiles and it can get a bit chilly at night. His basket is next to the radiator and the radiator goes off at 10.30 at night and doesn't come back on until 5.30am in the morning.

I am wondering if its because he's in a cold draughty place and that is not helping him?

Perhaps I should take him to the vets for a check up?

Thanks all,

Dan

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 10:46:04 AM »
It could be the rad coming on in the morning thats the problem. I know that if I set mine to come on before Im out of bed, I wake with a dry sore throat and am very raspy.

I would move his bed elsewhere or switch off that rad and see how he goes, although a check up at the vets may not go amiss
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 11:40:47 AM »
What is his quilt filled with it might have something to do with the stuffing, if he's only doing this first thing in the morning.

I would pop him along to your vet for a check up, at least it would put your mind at rest.  :)  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

lynseyloo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 12:26:14 PM »
I agree with barb, is it feather filled?? cos if hes anythin like me I sneeze and wheeze terrible with a feather pillow etc...  :unsure:    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 09:07:33 AM »
Hi Dan hows Luka? Was it an allergy to his bedding.?    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 09:17:25 AM »
Sounds to me what they sometimes call "inverted sneezing"
Some dogs do this when they get excited. I don't think it's anything to worry about - if this is what it is - some people say that blowing gently into the nose whilst they are doing it, can help  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline blister

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 10:01:11 AM »
Hello All,

Sorry I've been off-line for a couple of days!

I checked with DW and the quilt is not a feathered quilt, so it can't be the quilt.

Luka only had a sneezing 'fit' once 3 mornings ago., but it was the rasping that I was concerned about. Funnily enough, the last 2 mornings Luka has been absolutely fine!

Only thing that I have done is wash the quilt and put a blanket over Luka at night when he goes to bed.

Thank you all for your replies and I am going to see how it goes over the next few days or so.

Kim, you could be right - I wonder if it's because he is excited in the mornings when he sees me?