Author Topic: Hip Dyslpasia  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Hip Dyslpasia
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 07:53:35 AM »
I can only speak for myself on this.

I would offer the purchasers to have the puppy back & maybe replace it with a different puppy, or a refund, or maybe even a puppy from a future litter.

By the time these things are discovered, though, the puppy has become part of the family & they probably don't want to part with it.
So I would hope that in this case the insurance would cover the veterinary costs.
All my puppies go to their new homes with 6 weeks insurance cover.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Hip Dyslpasia
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 09:38:52 AM »
I don't think anyone can answer your question Toohey - there is no data available to calculate percentages. Reputable breeders will do as Kim suggests & reach an amicable agreement with the puppy buyer whereas other less reputable breeders may have to be threatened with legal action or even taken to court sometimes. UK law is clearly on the buyer's side when it comes to puppies with serious genetic problems but many buyers do not realise this & some may not even contact the breeder if their puppy has a hereditary problem.

Jane
Jane

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Hip Dyslpasia
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 01:24:28 PM »
UK law is clearly on the buyer's side when it comes to puppies with serious genetic problems but many buyers do not realise this & some may not even contact the breeder if their puppy has a hereditary problem.

That's true, and then I guess the breeders don't find out that they are breeding dogs with inherited conditions.

Thanks Kim and Jane :)  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Hip Dyslpasia
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 06:00:30 PM »
but many buyers do not realise this & some may not even contact the breeder if their puppy has a hereditary problem.
I imagine that a lot a owners who have a pup that has developed a hereditary condition often feel 'guilty' for buying from a breeder who doesn't test; especially if they only realised that testing was recommended once the pup had developed the condition and they had researched a bit more.

I have to agree with others; I was advised that Hip Dysplasia was not a problem in parti's and so did not seek a breeder who tested for this  :(  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Ulla R

• Site Member
    • http://ladysplits.tripod.com/
Hip Dyslpasia
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 07:36:03 PM »
While our testing we have found that parties has better hips, but there are HD in also among them.

We have this very clever index system, which calculates not only the dogs but also it relatives HD degrees together and gives us  a score about the genetic value of the dog according to HD. 100 is average and under it is worser and over better. The best score is 127 at the moment and it is a particoloured bitch and the worst is 28 solid dog whose parents and him self are E. The better as many dogs scanned it gives a more accurate index.

Did I make any sense?

Ulla