Author Topic: Protein  (Read 1072 times)

Offline turbobert

Protein
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:25:46 AM »
My 14 month old Working Cocker is on a feed that has 18.5 % protein.  My trainer has suggested that he should have no more than 15% as he is very active.  He is happy on this feed and my other adult dogs have loved and thrived on it for several years - so does a difference of 2.5% in protein content make any difference?

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Protein
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »
I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression that a very active dog should have a higher level of protein in their diet, not lower as your trainer appears to be suggesting?  :huh:  My opinion is that if you and your dog are happy on the food he is currently on then why change it.  If he is not overweight or underweight and healthy then he should be fine on it.  If it aint broke don't fix it!!

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:23:39 AM »

I would agree TBH... I doubt a reduction in protein is going to slow him down any - he's a working cocker and is bred to be very active!!!  :shades:

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline cockyjim

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
I am of the same understanding

a higher protein(meat) is better for a hyperactive dog.

the confusion may come from labeling!

protein doesnt have to come from meat. it can come from beans etc. the manufacturers dont have to label what ratios of protein are in the food.

ask your pet shop for a food with high meat content not high protein as it can be misleading.

(i read that in a book it must be true  :005: )

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:58:18 PM »
I agree, 15 would be too low. Mine are on a 25% protein diet!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Katiee

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:25:51 PM »
I have also been told that they should be on at least 23% protein in the food.

Maybe I am wrong??!! ph34r

Offline JohnW

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »
IMO For a puppy, 28% of dietary intake should be protein while for an adult dog, 18%. However when dogs are working or competing say in agility a higher protein level should be given. I had Bailey on sneydds which is 26% as I recall and another thing to consider with workers especially is the oil content as this can add to a dogs behaviour too. I look for oil contents of about 10%. Bailey was bouncing off the walls with sneydds but since I now feed him a mixture of skinners (which is under 18%) with Barf and when we are doing shows over a few days I put him on Wainwrights and Barf (not together though) which is nice quality kibble which he enjoys.  ;)

I would say whats good for one dog is not good for another, and dogs have taste too and will enjoy a meal or turn their noses up too. Willow and Bailey will not even sniff Green tripe while the rest and my show girls especially love it. So horses for courses and have a word with your local retailer they usually can give advise on what may suit your dogs. But I have definitely noticed the too much protein in kibble and more so oils and where cereals are present you can have that excitable behaviour in your dogs which is not a great thing to have.  ::)

Offline turbobert

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »
Thanks for all that good advice