Author Topic: Inbreeding Percentages  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Inbreeding Percentages
« on: October 03, 2004, 09:36:03 PM »
I am using a software application - Pedigree Assistant for Dogs - , to help me record details of Molo's pedigree.

I notice that the inbreeding % for his pedigree is 10.5%.

Can anyone tell me how this is calculated and whether there is an optimum %?

Thanks
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 09:47:36 PM »
I don't know if the following site makes any sence, but this is some theory about how to calculate inbreeding. I'm pretty sure u can find some better UK-sites, untill someone gives them to you, I do hope you can find something interesting here:

http://kursus.kvl.dk/shares/vetgen/_Popgen.../tabularapp.htm

(hope the link works)

I don't know what is recommended in the UK either, but in DK, the Danish KC, usually does not recommend any inbreeding above 6,25 %. (eg. cousin mating)

Sarah
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 10:04:41 PM »
Isn't pedigree assistant for dogs expensive Rachel?

Just wondered why you were so interested in this? Buttons has some ancestors appearing a couple of times, so I don't think it's unusual at all. Are you thinking of breeding? I wouldn't worry to much as Molo is from a reputable breeder  :)
Have you asked Molo's breeder?

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 10:25:29 PM »
You might think this rude of me Rachel, but if you are pleased with Molo (which I'm sure you are) why do you need to delve into all the why's & wherefore's that his breeder chose to use a certain dog on her bitch etc. and what percentage it gives.
I really think that is her business, and hers alone and certainly should not be up for open discussion on a forum such as this. She would be the best person to ask about the percentages and why she did what she did.

Please, just enjoy your little boy for what he is  :)  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 10:59:46 PM »
This site has information on calculating breeding co-efficients but really this is a subject you need to study in some depth for it to mean anything at all.

Jane
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 12:45:49 PM »
I have downloaded the free evaluation copy of Pedigree Assistant to allow me to keep all the details of Molo's pedigree, including pictures, together.

I have no plans to breed from Molo, but was interested to see this % recorded, and wondered what it was. Why does this indicate that I am questioning his breeders decisions? Surely this forum is about expanding my knowledge?

I am deliriously happy with Molo, I am confident he is from a reputable breeder, and my question was not intended to reflect any 'worry' on my part regarding his ancestry.

This thread was about but a desire to learn more about the doggy world, some of which seems to a mystery to me, but for some reason that I am unclear about, it has been taken differently - Can I ask Why?

Thank you to Jane and Sarah_S; looks like I've got my homework cut out; its more complex than cocker coat colour genetics  :lol:  
Oldies Club

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 01:15:33 PM »
I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with learning too much, I myself need to know the in's and out's of everything  ;)  though I must admit it didn't occur to me to look at inbreeding percentages in Buttons pedigree  ;)
To be honest when I read your post, maybe I was looking at it from your breeder's point of view  :unsure: which could be taken the wrong way, ie: investigating her breeding ethics etc.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 01:28:04 PM »
As I didn't know what Inbreeding percentages were, I had no idea that my post could have been interpreted as questioning a breeders ethics  :rolleyes:

Now I do know what they are, and yes, I can see that as a breeder, it would be unusual for a pet owner to want to know the ins-and-outs of the co-efficient of inbreeding for their pet. A 'reputable' breeder should not have any reason not to share their reasons for chosing specific dames and sires though and I chatted several times with Molo's breeder about Molo's ancestors while Molo was still with her.

Would it reassure people if I revealed that I have a degree in Genetics, and so have a natural interest in this? I bugged Jane a few months ago about colour genetics - which I think I might have got to grips with now  ;)  
Oldies Club

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 01:30:30 PM »
No prob  :)

yep, it does take some time to calculate, but its actually very interesting (genetcis nerd, I know). I do use it when I want to find suitable males to my girls. It makes you realise how small the genepool in cockers actually is.  I'm not sure that all breeders use this tool, but as long as we don't use the same dogs for our breeding programme, I don't think cockers will have very big inbreeding probs like the smaller breeds have.  

Sarah

:P  
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 04:26:17 PM »
As I didn't know what Inbreeding percentages were, I had no idea that my post could have been interpreted as questioning a breeders ethics  :rolleyes:

Now I do know what they are, and yes, I can see that as a breeder, it would be unusual for a pet owner to want to know the ins-and-outs of the co-efficient of inbreeding for their pet. A 'reputable' breeder should not have any reason not to share their reasons for chosing specific dames and sires though and I chatted several times with Molo's breeder about Molo's ancestors while Molo was still with her.

Would it reassure people if I revealed that I have a degree in Genetics, and so have a natural interest in this? I bugged Jane a few months ago about colour genetics - which I think I might have got to grips with now  ;)
Rachel, I apologise for 'jumping' on your post, and that fact that you have a degree in genetics makes your interest a whole lot clearer.
I just felt that by revealing figures publicly - albeit that we don't know Molo's pedigree - it was unfair on Molo's breeder, and as you have since said a 'reputable' breeder should be more than happy to discuss the ins & outs of breeding to anyone interested. It's just not something that the average pet owner would even think about.

To be honest when I read your post, maybe I was looking at it from your breeder's point of view  which could be taken the wrong way, ie: investigating her breeding ethics etc.

I have to admit this was exactly the same way as I read it.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 04:52:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Michele......I regret that my niaivety led to a misunderstanding of my motives; as I said, I have no prior knowledge of the breeding community, so don't know the social and accepted niceties that apply.

I am concerned that the public revealing of the co-efficent of inbreeding may be considered unfair on the breeder; I intended to add Molo's pedigree to our/his website soon, as many other pedigree owners do; so this figure could be calculated by anyone interested.

Is this practice of publishing pedigrees on websites unwelcome by breeders?
Oldies Club

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Inbreeding Percentages
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 05:00:15 PM »

I am concerned that the public revealing of the co-efficent of inbreeding may be considered unfair on the breeder; I intended to add Molo's pedigree to our/his website soon, as many other pedigree owners do; so this figure could be calculated by anyone interested.

Is this practice of publishing pedigrees on websites unwelcome by breeders?
I shouldn't have thought so Rachel, as for most people, co-efficients will go straight over their heads, but I think out of respect to any breeder it would be nice to OK it with them first before publishing pedigree's etc  :)