Author Topic: Tips For Photographing Dogs - Portraits  (Read 17458 times)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: Tips For Photographing Dogs - Portraits
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
And watch me improve the quality of my tail and ear shots after this guidance  :005:.....I think the solid sit/stay whilst trying to get their attention MAY be where we are going wrong...I get them in sit....ace.....I get them to stay....ace....I make a noise to get thier attention and suddnely they are all over me like a rash.....not so ace  ::)

Know the feeling *Theresa*  >:(

Thankyou for that excellent advice Nicola......will have to refer back to it a few many times, me thinks  ::)
May have to do some homework & research into 'which camera' should be my next one  :shades:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »
Thanks Nicola, really good info here. When my camrea is repaired I will try this.
I have trouble taking pics of Charlie his eyes are dark and he often appears to have none, what can I do to improve this?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:17:58 PM »
I was going to post and say I love that first shot, really clear, then I thought, the next ones really good too and the next and the next.....

You totally deserve the Dog Photographer of the year accolade.  They are exception.  Well done Nic, and thanks for sharing with us "how it should be done" too.

Lxx

Aww thank you! :embarassed: :luv:

what do you use, and what do you think of this one

I use a Canon EOS 50D and these days mostly a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens although some of the photos on the thread were taken with my old EOS 350D and a variety of lenses. I'll modify the thread to say which camera and lens combos I used for the shots.

I like the Panasonic Lumix cameras, they get very good reviews and when I was in South America last year one of my friends had one and she got some excellent photos with it.

Thanks Nicola, really good info here. When my camrea is repaired I will try this.
I have trouble taking pics of Charlie his eyes are dark and he often appears to have none, what can I do to improve this?

It's mostly about lighting, whether you're indoors or out you want to find soft, directional lighting, as said before a bright but overcast day is perfect but if it's a bright day then try to find some soft shade so the light is even. Turn off the built in flash if there is one, you can use fill in flash from a flash gun to give a bit of sparkle and definition to the eyes but as said before try bouncing the flash off the wall or a piece of card rather than aiming it right at him. If your camera allows it you can change the exposure compensation a bit, for a black dog against a lighter background generally you'd want to go between +1/3 and +1 stop which basically means the camera will compensate for the dark subject by adding more light although not all cameras will have enough manual control to let you do this.

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
I was going to post and say I love that first shot, really clear, then I thought, the next ones really good too and the next and the next.....

You totally deserve the Dog Photographer of the year accolade.  They are exception.  Well done Nic, and thanks for sharing with us "how it should be done" too.

Lxx

Aww thank you! :embarassed: :luv:

what do you use, and what do you think of this one

I use a Canon EOS 50D and these days mostly a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens although the photos on the thread were taken with my old camera and using a variety of lenses. I'll go and modify the thread to say which camera and lens combo I used for the shots.

I like the Panasonic Lumix cameras, they get very good reviews and when I was in South America last year one of my friends had one and she got some excellent photos with it.

It's mostly about lighting, whether you're indoors or out you want to find soft, directional lighting, as said before a bright but overcast day is perfect but if it's a bright day then try to find some soft shade so the light is even. Turn off the built in flash if there is one, you can use fill in flash from a flash gun to give a bit of sparkle and definition to the eyes but as said before try bouncing the flash off the wall or a piece of card rather than aiming it right at him. If your camera allows it you can change the exposure compensation a bit, for a black dog against a lighter background generally you'd want to go between +1/3 and +1 stop which basically means the camera will compensate for the dark subject by adding more light although not all cameras will have enough manual control to let you do this.

Thanks Nicola will have to try this when my cameras fixed.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:42 PM »
Something else I would be fascinated to learn is how to photograph black dogs. It's probably lighting again I'm sure. Morgana just seems to disappear sometimes.  :shades: Any tips would be appreciated.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »
Something else I would be fascinated to learn is how to photograph black dogs. It's probably lighting again I'm sure. Morgana just seems to disappear sometimes.  :shades: Any tips would be appreciated.  ;)

Me too!!! Have so struggled to get decent pics of my black lab, he's just a black blob in most of them!

What stunning pictures, you're so talented - and of course you've got excellent models to practise on!

Sophie
x

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »
Stunning photos and excellent advice, my OH has a nikon dslr and is just learning the ropes, I will show him your advice and hope for some lovely shots of my three munsters in the future thanks.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 12:06:15 AM »
Wow, what a lot of time and trouble you have taken for us.

Thanks so much, Nic.
Exactly what I wanted to say ;). You gave me advice a couple of months back about turning the flash off when photographing Belle who is of course black, it has made such a difference with natural light you can see her features so much better so thanks again for that Nicola ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 12:12:33 AM »
Ok, I stopped reading half way as I got too distracted by the photos. They're brilliant Nicola. My all time fav has to be the one with all 3 of them on the beach.

You really are talented  ;)

Fab advice (after going back reading 2nd time round). My subject can sit and wait (for a bout a 2 seconds- TOPS!), but still manages to have me running after him taking desperate shots  ph34r :005: :005:

Maybe I need to hire a lighting assistant...  :shades:

Offline SandraD

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
What wonderful advice, thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put into this article Nicola, it's very much appreciated - and I thoroughly enjoyed drooling over all your pics again too! :luv:

Offline The Woolys

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
brilliant advice, thanks Nicola

The thing i have a problem with is understanding shutter speeds and DOF
I have a canon 400d, any advice?