Author Topic: Ebbie - Skin And Eye Problems  (Read 1350 times)

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Ebbie - Skin And Eye Problems
« on: October 13, 2004, 11:10:40 PM »
Hi all - this is a long one I'm afraid.

Pete took ebbie to the vets for me last night, she's had problems with her eyes for some time (on and off though literally - one day she'll be scratching them and they will look sore, next day fine and nothing wrong - had fulcemic (sp) cream for them to put in when she started to itch).  It started to flare up again so off she went, to get her booked in to have eye surgery for inturned lashes as this is what the vet said it was and I didn't want to keep putting the lotion in.

Now I honestly didn't believe she had this problem, as she would have had the irritation all the time but she goes weeks and months with no itching then maybe itch a day then not, then good again for a few weeks.

Well, when pete got there, new vet (apparently the other one has been sacked - don't know why probably cos he wouldn't treat the animals as the actual owners wanted)  - ebbie doesn't have inturned lashes, does not need surgery at all and thought we were being overreactive for asking for it!!!!!!!!!

He's given her maxatril drops which seem brill at the mo.

Also, she's always had viacutan and malaseb for a dry coat and skin, for flea bite allergy.  Last few days it's got worse and hasn't eased it at all.  Asked the new vet, he's immediately put her on piriton to stop the irritation and took blood, skin scrapings to look for allergies.  Pete also has to pick up special food for her tomorrow - not hills or science plan or whatever they try to give you but something that sounds like burns in makeup.

God this sounds like we have let her suffer for months - all this was only on/off literally, she'd be suffering of an evening so would think to myself ring vets tomorrow for appt, and then by next day she would be right as rain, with nothing to actually show the vet, and as she hated him with a vengeance it didn't seem worth the hassle ( this used to set her eyes off - stress and her seasons - again another reason for not having inturned lashes - they don't come and go with stress).

So, she has had 2 doses of piriton and 2 of maxatril and my god what a difference in her - you wouldn't believe it, she's always been lazy, and still is - she's snoring from the hallway as I'm typing, but she even lowered herself to play with finn in the park today  :o   :o   :o  it's not been heard of lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a food allergy and that her eye problems are another symptom - would be more believable that they get bad because of the skin surroudning the eye.  And I'm not surprised about the main vet, although I liked him most of the time, I did have a few issues with him, and so did ebbie - she actually liked the new vet and didn't even murmer when he took her blood or shaved her for skin scrapings ( he even made sure without asking to do it in a very hidden place - under her collar - saw on another thread about this).  So I think she's impressed with him as well.  Surely the other vet should have done this a long time ago - i suppose if she hadn't improved on the viacutan he would have.

Now here's a quick question, if this food the vet wants her to have is very similar to burns, should I just put her over to burns anyway after she has the month's treatment, as I was thinking about this for finn and ebbie, was just trying to find a local stockist????

This last two weeks has been never ending vet visits, and has cost me a small fortune - merlin (cat) for boosters, finn for ear treatment - thought he had something down his ear it was that bad  :( , two new kittens for vaccs, all this for ebbie, plus all the flea treatments and worming tabs for them all, then merlin went back because he was attacked by a fox and has a hole in his head!!

Do you think the vet will be glad to see the back of us for a while  :lol:

Nikki xx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 09:06:33 AM »
Awwww poor girl      :( Both of my labs had skin problems, Nells is to the dust mite, she has sore and itchy eyes off and on, and sometimes loss of hair.

We put a cotton cover over her bed and change it every couple of days.  We also steam clean around  at least once a week. She's not on any medication at the moment, althought some days her eyes are a bit sleepy but so long as there not red or itchy we dont bother the vet.

If the food your vet wants to put Ebbie on is similar to Burns,  i would just change to Burns  :)
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 09:28:48 AM »
Is Burns better than JWL?
I feed mine on JWL lamb and rice. Our vet sells both foods, so they must both be ok, but everyone on here seems to like Burns.
I want the best for my babes, and if it means changing, I would.
Is Burns a gluten free food? :huh:  
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 09:36:02 AM »
Yep

Burns is gluten free and free of any preservatives or colourings etc.  It is also one of the few foods endorsed by the BUAV (no testing on animals)  so is naturediet.
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 09:38:09 AM »
Just out of interest Nikki, what were you feeding Ebbie previously?

Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 09:47:42 AM »
Is Burns better than JWL?
I feed mine on JWL lamb and rice. Our vet sells both foods, so they must both be ok, but everyone on here seems to like Burns.
I want the best for my babes, and if it means changing, I would.
Is Burns a gluten free food? :huh:
Hi Karen ive used both JWB and Burns,  but i much prefer the Burns, i suppose its a matter of choice realy, loads of peeps use JWB and are happy with it.  :)  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

scoobie

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 09:54:03 AM »
Nikki poor Ebbie and poor you :(
Like Barb and Linda says Burns is a good food even though I feed Scoobie a raw food diet after endless ear infections :o and similar experiences like yourself with my vet
I have fed both  Burns and JWB and personaly would choose Burns over JWB
I hope Ebbie is feeling better very soon
Edith

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 12:32:23 PM »
Hiya all - Ebbie is being fed at the moment on naturediet, nutro, oily tuna fish and meat/veg leftovers that we have.  Not all at the same time I hasten to add - my god she would be fat then.  I wouldn't call her a fussy eater but I do need to keep her interested in food.

As finn is allergic to chicken, and naturediet only do the lamb and rice variety that doesn't contain any chicken, or the fish - which ebbie hates - I vary her diet, and although finn doesn't have the naturediet often, it's easier not to have chicken food laying around.

Most days naturediet, if we have meat/veg/gravy etc leftovers then she has them with some nutro and then about once a week tuna - oily - for her skin.  This has always been ok for them.  Her and finn get the same although finn does have the nutro more often then not.

I was intending to go over to burns mainly because she did seem to be getting a bit itchier over the last few weeks, but nothing drastic, i was just keeping an eye on her skin, then this last week or so - the amount of dry flaky skin and just got out of all proportion.  I groom them every two days as neither enjoy it, and whereas before, there would be a bit of flakiness, which i could remove easily with a good brushing, now the longer i brush the more skin came off, until she actually looked grey rather then the gorgeous glossy black she normally is.  Nothing has changed around here so really couldn't put a finger on what has caused the viacutan to stop working.  As I already used nutro, burns seemed a good alternative to try, especially their new venison and rice one.  Even asked burns for samples and both ebbie and finn loved it (so did the cats  :lol: when they managed to pinch some from the dogs bowls)

Hopefully, it will just turn out to be a food allergy as this is more easily controlled, as for dust which I suppose could be a possibility - I have a pile of laminate that is still waiting to be laid - only been there for a year pete needs to get his finger out lol (sorry pete - not his fault really, and I would of put ebbie's itchiness down to us decorating, but nothing has been done indoors to cause it for quite a few months now) - and I'm intending on getting leather furniture as well. So again, although will take longer to sort and ease it - there will come a time when it's more manageable.  If its grass, pollen etc - don't think pete would relish the idea of paving the whole garden  :o just for the dogs  :lol: but I'm sure if i asked him nicely he might consider it  :D

Nikki xx

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 12:41:37 PM »
Thanks everyone, I think I'll give it a try. I read somewhere that with Burns is easier to control your dogs weight. Since ours were spayed, Livvy has put weight on, so that might be the route for us.
Love from Karen and Livvy