Author Topic: Another Whelping Box  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Another Whelping Box
« on: October 19, 2004, 11:32:41 PM »
I'm pleased as punch, I just had to show you what my OH Phil has made for me. Well not for me but Neneh, who is due to have a litter soon  :D

It has two more pieces that slot in the front so it can be totally enclosed if need be.
I had liked the look of the Snowsilk ones but thought that nearly £300 was too much for the amount of litters that I have. He made this one for just under £50!!!!  :o

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 06:01:34 AM »
Oh my God,

This is a greatest whelping box I have ever seen.
 :D
and under 50?

maybe I should make another one.

by the way, does it have a heating pannel? I can see a electronic kit on the wall.

right?

That just looks amazing to me.

I was wondering If you could share the detailed blueprint with other people of COL.   B)  
ChangBin(Chris)

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 07:12:12 AM »
That's fantastic Michele B)

I'm sure Nenah will be very comfy in there :)

Tracey :)

Is it made from melamine? it looks like it will be easy to keep clean.
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 08:23:44 AM »
Michele, a big pat on the back for Phil  ;)  That's brilliant  :o Looks very professionial.  Whats the bit at the back, to the left, is it a thermometer ?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 11:28:15 AM »
That's excellent Michele - you are lucky to have a creative OH :D It looks just as good as our Snowsilk box for a fraction of the price!

Jane
Jane

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 12:09:02 PM »
That looks really professional! I,m going to show it to Dave, maybe he,ll make me another one  :)  

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 01:02:43 PM »
Phil done very well Michele, it looks fantastic (AND I cant believe the big day is almost here!!) Sounds like Phil could have a part-time job building and selling these of he so wanted  ;)  

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 02:40:11 PM »
Is the rail going all the way round it for Neneh to bite on when she's in labour :P  
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 05:21:14 PM »
by the way, does it have a heating pannel? I can see a electronic kit on the wall.

right?

I was wondering If you could share the detailed blueprint with other people of COL.   B)
Thank you for all your kind comments, Phil is chuffed to bits. When he'd finished it, he said maybe he should go into making them. I can't see a profit in it myself  :rolleyes:

Gilly guessed right Chris, the electronic piece on the wall is actually a digital clock & thermometer and it also reads the humidity level  ;) so hopefully no chance of cold, hot or dehydrated puppies  :)

In this picture you can see what looks like a mouse hole, but is actually a cut out for the plug on the heat pad to go through, so easily removed at a later date, and no wire trailing over the top of the box. We really have tried to think of everything this time.
The pig rails are metal tubing with a coated finish, I chose these in preference to wood so that the puppies won't risk getting splinters, and as you see we can soon remove the rail & brackets when its not needed any more

Many moons ago now, Phil served his apprenticeship as a chair maker, and he thoroughly enjoyed "getting back into making again".
With the exception of the runners for the drop in boards, everything else was bought from B&Q  :lol:
It is melamine Tracey, or Conti Board as they call it. We bought one 18" width piece and one 6" width piece, and had both cut into three at the store. I can't remember the length right now but that was how the size of the box was determined. The pig rail is 3 pieces with corner connectors, leaving the front clear for easier access.
The base is a sheet of coated ply, again for easy cleaning   ;)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 07:10:39 PM »
Very impressive Michele ;) . And I thought we did will with our new whelping box, we didn't make it tho, not that creative  :lol: . We got one from canine kennels, similar to the snowsilk ones, in a very tasty green  ;) .
Best of luck with Neneh's ickle ones  :) . I'm sure they will be gorgeous, as they av very attractive parents  ;).

Offline Ingrid from Sweden

• Site Member
    • http://www.mightyfalls.com
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 05:48:15 PM »
Very well done  :) I will print this out to show my hubby and maybe he can do something similar to me. I'm waiting for my first litter from Aladdin and Honung.

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 03:57:09 PM »
Ah......Lord, Do really have to make another one?

thermometer , digital clock  and the hole for the heating pad wire......

whenever I see that whelping box, I wish I made another one.

Our first litter is expected on 11th of Nov.

buy the way, what is the best room temperature for the new born puppies?

Is it in the book of the bitch? I bought it from amazon a few days ago and still trying to translate it ..... very difficult and professional words there.  
ChangBin(Chris)

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 04:53:38 PM »
Yes, the ideal temp and everything you need is in that book.
I found it an absolute godsend.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Tidge

• Site Member
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 07:52:56 PM »
Hi

Yes thats a lovely looking whelping box, my OH made one very similar but with a drop down front on a piano hinge which is now flat to the floor with the puppy run added to the front.

Just one thing I noticed about yours that is the same as mine and was my mistake.  The high sides!!!, I thought they would be great so that we didn't get an escapees but forgot that for the first couple of weeks when you are helping pups onto nipples etc, they are really hard to lean over.  I found muscles in the back of my legs and bum that I didn't know I had and I really wished I'd made them lower when I was leaning in delivering pups at 5.30 in the morning. :huh:  

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Another Whelping Box
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 10:25:01 PM »
Hi

Yes thats a lovely looking whelping box, my OH made one very similar but with a drop down front on a piano hinge which is now flat to the floor with the puppy run added to the front.

Just one thing I noticed about yours that is the same as mine and was my mistake.  The high sides!!!, I thought they would be great so that we didn't get an escapees but forgot that for the first couple of weeks when you are helping pups onto nipples etc, they are really hard to lean over.  I found muscles in the back of my legs and bum that I didn't know I had and I really wished I'd made them lower when I was leaning in delivering pups at 5.30 in the morning. :huh:
How high is your one Tidge, this is only 18 inches, and I haven't found the sides a problem, quite the opposite infact. As it's very sturdy it gives you something to rest (I won't say lean, that might be a bit much) against.

Neneh also found them handy - when she was giving birth, she (of her own acccord) put her two front legs up on the side so that gravity lent a hand whilst pushing  :o  I have never seen a bitch do this before, I was amazed at her cleverness :wub:

I think unless you are going to have a bitch whelp on a table (not a good idea) you'll get back ache, leg ache and pins & needles whatever you have around you. <_<