Author Topic: Pigs Ears  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Pigs Ears
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 09:29:02 PM »
I have got some piccies of Lottie.....I'll post some.......can't have you getting withdrawal symptoms :rolleyes:  :D
Thanks Sheila - another adorable black and tan cocker to show Eric - he's bound to buckle under the pressure soon!!  :lol:  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Pigs Ears
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2004, 09:33:56 PM »
Thanks Sheila - another adorable black and tan cocker to show Eric - he's bound to buckle under the pressure soon!!  :lol:
Knew you couldn't stop at 2 ;)  :P  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Pigs Ears
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2004, 09:52:49 PM »
Think I might be fighting a losing battle, though  ;)  .  It's gonna be another few years before I'm allowed another one!  That's terrible isn't it!  28 years old and I have to ask permission  <_<  :angry:  :lol:  I'm not easily put off though, he'll have me harping on, and shoving photos of black and tancockers in his face for the next 3 years if that's what it takes  :D .

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Pigs Ears
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 10:49:10 PM »
I'm not easily put off though, he'll have me harping on, and shoving photos of black and tancockers in his face for the next 3 years if that's what it takes  :D .
:lol:  :lol:

Shirley, you're doing well if it only takes three years...it took me five years, moving house and me changing jobs to convince him I was not going to take no for an answer
 :lol:  :lol:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Pigs Ears
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 09:27:40 AM »
our local range shop sells pig ear strips in a bag. These are great for smaller dogs or for a 'quick treat'.
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Pigs Ears
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2004, 02:56:25 PM »
Pigs ears in our house don't last more then 5 minutes... I spent ages looking for them the first time, thinking they couldn't possibly have finished them yet!!!  They don't get them that often because they just don't hang around long enough, it would cost a fortune to keep them supplied.

I started Jovi on the small strips of pigs ear too!

I tried raw chicken wings the other day, my heart was in my mouth the entire time, but they made short work of them too!  Jovi licked the rug for a good hour after too  :)  
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Pigs Ears
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 03:37:33 PM »
Gave my two a pigs ear each last night.
Goldie, as normal, demolished hers in a couple of minutes!!!
It took Lottie a little longer, but hers was all gone in half an hour.
Obviously a great hit.

I have noticed a big difference in prices though, I found some in a local farm shop which sells pet products and they were half the price of the ones I had bought in pets at home. They were also about twice the size and didnt feel as greasy...so I'll be going back there in the future.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Pigs Ears
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 04:24:22 PM »
And the differences in size - the one Ive just given Alfie is as big as his head!! Id hate to have met the pig that it came from  :lol:  
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Pigs Ears
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 04:20:04 PM »
Actually, other parts of another animals anatomy, but it fits nicely here!

I went to get some pigs ears from a pet shop I don't visit very often - and believe it or not they had buffalo shanks  :blink:  

At 90p I bought one, but thought I'd ask before I gave it to Molo; has anyone any experience of these? They look like pigs trotters; but are longer and thicker, obviously  :rolleyes:

I know that Buffalo meat is low in fat, so the little that there is on the bone should be OK, but I was wondering if anyone elses cocker has tried these?

I appreciate that not everyone likes giving their dogs cooked/roast bones; but I think that the raw marrow-bone that Molo had last week was partly responsible for his sickiness a day or two later, so won't give him one too often.  I want to give him an assortment of things to chew while his teeth are giving him so much trouble, and he has not had a problem with the Roast beef bones from Jolleys.

Any thoughts? I also picked up a parma ham bone, which looks yummy too -  well it would if I was a dog  :D  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Pigs Ears
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 04:35:30 PM »
Hi Rachel

Haven't tried Morgan or Cooper with either of these animal parts but noticed that you said Molos teeth are bothering him.  When Morgan's teeth were coming out he liked chewing on an old t-shirt which I had tied in knots, soaked with water and frozen.  Don't give it too him straight from the freezer as his tongue will stick to it  :unsure:  :D  - just leave it to thaw a little first.  Morgan didn't like really hard things to chew on when his gums were sore - but this has a bit of give and the cold will numb the pain  :D  

Sue H

Pigs Ears
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2004, 11:29:02 PM »
Oh, someone, please remind me .. was it Colin ???

His pup used to cart around the same pig until it was all sucky and fluffy, and one day he was queueing in the shop for a paper and a rude lady pushed in front of him, so he slipped his pig into her handbag .. what a great find for later on .. !!

I reckon pigs are greasy, because we have previously bought them by the box of 50 from our local grocer (who is ace for dog stuff and is willing to barter !!).  The bottom of the box was all soaked (despite them being in a plastic bag) and the stench when you opened the top was something that only a dog could appreciate !!

Despite all that, they do seem to fill a hole that nothing else can - they are loads more attractive than a hide-chew - last longer than a mealy-chew- smell more disgusting than almost everything except tripe sticks and bulls' penises (yes!) and apart from the fact that the dog can swallow the last large lump if pushed and choke, they are relatively safe, I think.  Basically, use sparingly, like every other treat !!!

sweetie

Pigs Ears
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2004, 11:43:59 PM »
really glad i read this thread,i was looking at the pigs ears the other day,thinking,mmm bet they would luv them,then thought better of it,worried incase they were bad for them,,so cheers for that,,pigs ears on the menu as an occasional treat it is then ;)  :D

ziggy jasper and mabe,s xx :D