Author Topic: I've Got Growing Concerns  (Read 3005 times)

scoobie

I've Got Growing Concerns
« on: October 29, 2004, 12:55:35 PM »
for scoobie :(
For about 3 weeks now he has been pooing a lot (sorry I know it's not a nice subject) the trouble is they are formed but soft then last week he had astrange smell coming from his back end and he kept licking around that area I took him to the vet last saturday and emptied his anal glands and gave him steroids and antibiotics I also mentioned that he is pooing several times a day and the vet told me he will feel better now his glands were emptied(he also screamed the vets down when he had his anal glands emptied)He stopped licking around his back end and seems his usual self but he is pooing for England now ;)last night he woke us up   2 times through the night and half an hour after food he needs to go and do his business. He is constantly hungry (and have put this down to a typical cocker scavanging )and it's almost as if he isn't digesting his food and is absolutely starving!! I am going back to the vets at 3 today with a sample as I have a gut feeling something isn't right has anyone got any ideas?
I feed Scoobie raw and have done for the last 12 months without any problems  

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 01:04:05 PM »
I assume he's been wormed. My vet nurse tells me that they can get reinfected quite quickly especially if they're scavengers.

Try not to worry too much and hopefully it'll be something simple
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 01:08:02 PM »
Yes, I was also going to say is it worms do you think?  That may account for the ravenous symptoms.  I'm sure the vet will find the problem.  Try not to worry too much (that's rich coming from me :D ) it is probably something really simple to sort out ;)  
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 02:41:20 PM »
it might also be worthwhile looking at what he's eating as some foods cause dogs to have more waste than others :(

A premium complete food usually reduces the amount of waste but if you are also feeding too much they will leave more as their body will have more to get rid of.

It's normal for them to need to "go" shortly after food - that's the way the digestive tract works - so if you feed more often - he will go more. In addition to this some dogs simply go more than others anyway.

Try restricting the number of times you feed. Cockers can even if in full health be the most persistent of dogs for begging for food when they are not actually hungry so once you know it's not worms, you've done the anal glands bit - then set a strict regime for feeding him and make him wait for his food.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

scoobie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 04:14:16 PM »
Thanks for your replies girls ;) The vet thinks that Scoobie has got a pancreatic disorder :( basically when I feed him the food isn't digesting because the enzyme needed to do this isn't there this is all new to me so at the minute it's double dutch
scoobies fine but all I can do is feed him as he is REALLY hungry because the food is literally going straight through him :( He has had his bloods taken and will get results back next week and hopefully start with giving him the much needed enzyme so basically he will starve to death if I don't feed him when he wants it I know it sounds drastic but we will sort him and on top of all this were moving next week or it could be the week after you know how stressful moving house is ;)
once again thanks

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 04:22:51 PM »
Oh dear, poor Scoobie and poor you having to deal with this right now on top of a house move :(

I'm sending calming vibes, and hope that Scoobie gets sorted out really soon ....

Take care
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 05:00:35 PM »
aaaw - hope you get a good answer that allows you to sort this problem for you. It's bad enough when your Cocker is the normal gredy ickle monkey - but if they have a possible medical problem - must be so much worse.

Fingers crossed for Scoob and good luck with the house move too ;)  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 05:53:59 PM »
Edith, sorry to hear about Scoobie  :(  I hope the results come back with good news and you can sort his troubles out.
Good luck also with the house move.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 06:05:12 PM »
I have a friend whose dog has this disorder.  Apart from being as skinny as a rake he is as cute as a button and daft as a brush.  A lovely dog and no worse for his disorder.  It is like I say about Chloe, they don't know they're sick!
Can't cheer you up about the house move though, that really sucks :P  :D  
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 06:08:15 PM »
I think Shazza's dog had pancreatitis when she took him on and he's quite well at the moment.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 06:11:29 PM »
Aw poor Scoobie (and you !) - give him a hug from us xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 06:22:48 PM »
Awww poor Scoobie,   :(   hopefully mr vet will soon get him sorted. Give him a gentle hug from me ((( hugs ))) and good luck with the move Edith.
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 06:35:37 PM »
Poor Scoobie......Sending him cocker kisses to get well soon and good luck with the move.

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 08:51:18 PM »
:( get well soon scoobie  :P  fingers crossed everything stays nice and calm for your house move big hugs fron ruth n hun xx :)  

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 09:12:36 PM »
My Old boy Simon (now 13 yrs) had suffered from Pancreatitis for the past 2 years :( , he has had three bouts of it and needs vet hospitailsation immediately as he cannot digest any food at all.  We now know the the signs to look for and we can act quickly.  When he is "well" he is great, despite his age.  We have to be VERY strict with his feeding - absolutely no leftovers, no fatty foods, all he can have is his Fish & Rice Hills Science Diet meat.  He has lost some weight, but he is now on a powder call Pancrex - which is sprinkled over his meals and it aids the digestion and contains digestive enzymes normally released by the pancreas. It assists digestion of starch, fat and protein.

Hope this helps and good luck to Scoobie - let us know what the results show.

Please dont worry cos if he has pancreatitis, it can be controlled.

Regards
Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)