Author Topic: What to do with unused medication?  (Read 726 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
What to do with unused medication?
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
This maybe in the wrong place so please move if needed.

My old girl Millie was pts last night, but over the last weeks we have stacked up quite alot of tablets, arthritis ones and two lot of heart ones which we only got on Friday, i was just wondering is it OK/legal to pass them on to a rescue centre or anyone who already uses these tablets.  I know i can take them back to the vets but just feel they maybe able to save someone/rescue centre a small amount of money.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: What to do with unused medication?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 02:25:32 PM »
So sorry to hear about Millie. 
I have no idea about the legalities of unused meds - perhaps you could phone a local rescue centre and ask their advice??
If we ever return anything to our vet, he knocks the price of the medication off our bill, but it isn't usually very much so I doubt the vet would mind if you gave them away to a good cause - so long as the rescue centre knew exactly what they were getting.  Our dogs' tablets always just seem to come in a bottle with the dogs name and dosage on, very rarely the name of the meds.
Take care. 
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »
I have taken stuff back to the vets before - at my vet, they will often use it for strays etc.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
So sorry to hear about Millle.

When Holly died like you we had a lot of unused meds. Our vets took anything back that was in the bubble pack and refunded the money, so I would ask them I don't think they can reuse anything that's been exposed ie in a bottle as they don't know how its been stored.

I would think that the same applies to rescues.

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about your girlie.  Sleep tight little one  :luv:.

After my Fizzy dobie had gone I too had a lot of left over meds.  I wanted them to be put to good use and I asked Doberman Rescue & Many Tears if they were interested, and they were pleased to take them off my hands.  I didn't think of any legalities, I just wanted to donate them to a rescue as I thought it would help them financially.  I made sure all instructions were with the meds when I sent them.

I chose Doberman Rescue as Fizzy was a dobie  :luv:, and Many Tears as they have so many dogs in.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
Thankyou for your replies, I think i will have a word with the vet when i feel up to it, still feeling raw at the moment :'(. but if the vet cant/wont take them i will see into donating them to a charity or person who's dog is already on the same meds.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »
Sorry to read about Millie  :-*

Can't advise about the medication though
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:49:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss. I know that on another forum they have a section where people can donate unopened medication but not opened. Not sure of the reasoning for this though x
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
The meds i have are opened, but i only got them on Friday and Millie died on Saturday.  Some pills are in a bottle but some are in sealed compartments.  My oh will be going to the vets this week to sort out the insurance so he Will ask if they can be donated.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy