Author Topic: Poorly Gorgeous Black Boy  (Read 4733 times)

tracee

Poorly Gorgeous Black Boy
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:19:59 PM »
hi
   we have an 11mth old black-cocker called jake who came home this evening from the vet after being there for4 days ,  being diagnosed as having an auto-immune disorder which they are treating, they also said he has kidney damage due to the auto-immune problem which might or might not sort its self out in time but more likely not .
  he was eating while in the vets but he so far will not eat anything at home not even his favorite treats.
   can any-one sugest any thing we might offer him that he might eat ? also some thing that might help to put some weight back on him as hes lost so much weight  
                        many thanks  tracee  

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 08:27:49 AM »
I can't give you any advice but just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear of Jake's illness. Best wishes to you both.
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 08:48:51 AM »
Found this for you.....

http://www.executec.com/kidney.htm

Think you better get a nutrician book out to find out what fresh foods fit the bill!

Clare
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 09:13:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about Jake, hope there's some improvement soon  

tracee

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 09:28:08 AM »
thank you clare thats very helpfull :)
    all hes had to eat so far is half a slice of bread (normally his favourite) :(  not even being home with his gran, mum,dad.and big brother does not seem to help(all which are cockers) hes not even interested in the thing he loves to terrorize the most our blue colour-point persian.
                     it makes me up set to see him like this  :(

tracee

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 09:40:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about your boy Tracee. Has your vet given you any advice on diet? Dogs with kidney trouble normally have to have a special diet so not too much strain is put on the kidneys. There is a prescription tinned food available for dogs recovering from illness - this went down a treat when we had very sick dogs last year who wouldn't eat anything else although I don't know if it would be appropriate for a kidney patient - you'd have to ask your vet.

Jane
Jane

tracee

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 10:14:57 AM »
hi jane
  yes my vet has put him on sensitivity control by royal canin which he was eating when they had him but he will not touch it  at home ????
        they did try him with one for the kidney but he turned his nose up at it.
  he has allways been a fussy eater unlike the others who would eat you if you stood still for long enough :P
                                tracee

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 11:10:49 AM »
A lot of fussy dogs like Naturediet, specially if it's warmed slightly before feeding. Have a look at the Naturediet site for more info - I'm fairly sure their food is suitable for dogs with kidney problems.

Jane
Jane

scoobie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 11:55:20 AM »
Hello Tracee so sorry to hear about your boy :( you say he's spent four days at the vets maybe it's been too much for him and once he's back home and re-adjusts hopefully things will settle down with him and then hopefully he will start eating again ;) When your animals are ill it's so very stressful for us so god knows what it must be like for them because they can't express how they feel
My dog Scoobie has been very poorly with a pancreatic disorder (his pancreas can't produce the enzymes needed to break down fats)and he will be on medication for the rest of his life and a prescription diet. It's so sad when they are ill but you have to do what's best for them and I'm sure you are but try not to worry and like the others have said have a word with your vet if he doesn't get his appetite back soon
wishing you all the very best and keep coming back to COL just for some friendly advice ;)  

tracee

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 12:08:23 PM »
thanks jane :D ....... we will give it a try
                              tracee

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 12:46:22 PM »
A lot of fussy dogs like Naturediet, specially if it's warmed slightly before feeding. Have a look at the Naturediet site for more info - I'm fairly sure their food is suitable for dogs with kidney problems.

Jane
I'd also ring the people up at naturediet as well as they can be very helpful.

I think that with kidney problems isn't one of the issues the level of protein in the diet. Not sure about that but its best to get advice from your vet as to main requirements and then look at what's in various foods
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 04:09:52 PM »
Tracee - so sorry to hear about little Jake - like Edith said he may be feeling down after being at the vets.  I'm sure with lots of love and attention he will pick up.  Hopefully you will be able to sort out his diet and he will begin to thrive.

Gentle hugs from us xxx

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline tracy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 04:10:15 PM »
Hi Tracee

Very sorry to hear about your Jake.  My 4 year old black boy Bobby was diagnosed with Immune Mediated anemia and went off all of his normal food.  The only thing I managed to coax him with was freshly cooked chicken which he would eat.
I do hope that Jake continues to improve and gets his appetite back soon.  Sadly for me Bobby's condition got worse and he is now at Rainbow Bridge...

There are a few other members on here who have cockers with the same condition and who are continuing to do well, I hope Jake will be one of these too.

[size=8]** Tracy & Missy **[/size]

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 04:12:49 PM »
My mum's old cairn had kidney problems and for years was on the special Nephritis food from the vet's It was a processed meat wet food - not ideal - but she loved it and lived on it for years and years.

When Jasper had a poorly tum he was given some Hill's food by the vet - again a wet food to help calm his tum. He loved it.

What I'm saying is that your vet should be able to point you in the right dircetion and perhaps start you off with something that you can maybe then source elsewhere as it can be so expensinve from the vets.

It must be such a worry for you not being able to find anything that he can eat.

Good luck.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

tracee

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 05:13:15 PM »
hopefully he is just feeling down and tired from being in the vets.
    have bought and tryed some naturesdiet but hes not interested at the moment he just wants to sleep(bless him)  :)
      i try not to worry but its a bit hard when i see him like he is???but we have to try everything we can as long as hes not suffering.
        thank you for all the advice and kind thoughts  tracee :D