Author Topic: Itchy Back  (Read 1091 times)

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Itchy Back
« on: November 19, 2004, 07:26:57 PM »
Mya is my 2 year old blue roan. She has a patch of itchy flakey skin on her back about the size of the palm of your hand.  The itch is driving her and us mad.  Have tried everything, from shampoo, lotions from the vet etc. It seems to clear up for a few weeks and then return. It stays in the same black patch on her back and has never spread or developed anywhere else. Any suggestions? :o  
Lynne and Mya xx

Offline PennyB

Itchy Back
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 10:25:37 PM »
Not sure what it is but have you tried changing diet, and giving evening primrose oil
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Penel

Itchy Back
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 11:56:40 PM »
Have the vets done skin scrapes ?
Did you try Malaseb shampoo, every day ?  you must leave it on at least 5 - 10 minutes for it to work.

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Itchy Back
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 01:26:22 AM »
Yes have already changed her diet and she was already getting evening primrose. Thanks for your suggestions. B)  
Lynne and Mya xx

scoobie

Itchy Back
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 08:50:17 PM »
What are  you feeding her? There could be something in the food that she is allergic too hence Penels suggestion of skin scrapes

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Itchy Back
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 09:01:07 PM »
She has not had any skin scrappings done, may be that is the next step.  She is fed tinned meat and mixer the same as she has always been. No change of brand.
Lynne and Mya xx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Itchy Back
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 10:04:27 PM »
Molly had something similar last month, used the Malaseb and was clear within a week.  The vet also used an ultra violet light on the patch to make sure it wasn't ringworm.  Hope you find a solution soon.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Penel

Itchy Back
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:29:46 AM »
When I use Malaseb shampoo - just on a small area - I just wet the area a bit - rub on the Malaseb shampoo - and let the dog wander around the house for about 15 mins, then I wipe off the area with a wet flannel.  It doesn't matter if you leave a bit of residue of the shampoo - as it carries on working.

Are you sure there are no fleas ?

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Itchy Back
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 05:10:56 PM »
Definetly no fleas. Have checked very carefully. Did yuo get the shampoo from your vet?
Lynne and Mya xx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Itchy Back
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 05:24:49 PM »
I got mine from the vet, and as Penel said, I only used it on the affected area, so no hassles with having to bath her every few days.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Itchy Back
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 05:28:44 PM »
Thanks will see if I can get some shampoo ASAP the scratching, flaking,nawing back rubbing on furniture and floor is driving us all mad. Poor Mya not her fault. ;)  
Lynne and Mya xx

Penel

Itchy Back
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 06:27:12 PM »
I'm surprised the vets haven't suggested Malaseb - its brilliant stuff - your dog may have a Staph. infection which just hangs about.  It also deals with yeasty fungal nasties too.