Author Topic: Begging For Food  (Read 1788 times)

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Begging For Food
« on: November 21, 2004, 04:16:50 PM »
HELP over the past couple of weeks Mya has started to beg for food. If we are eating we have to send her into her basket, but you can still feel her watching you and following every mouthful. It's not nice being watched :ph34r: . You can't go near the kitchen without her stalking you incase there's food for her.
She is 2 years, 5 months and has never done it before so why now??? Anyone got any solutions or tips.  :unsure:  
Lynne and Mya xx

scoobie

Begging For Food
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 04:35:31 PM »
Daft question..but do you think she's hungry?
Just a thought if she hasn't bothered you before now ;)  

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Begging For Food
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 04:38:45 PM »
Has she just had a season ?
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Begging For Food
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 05:38:48 PM »
I don't think she is hungry, getting the same amount as before and she has not been anymore active than her normal mad self. :unsure:
Mya has been spayed.
Lynne and Mya xx

scoobie

Begging For Food
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 06:24:52 PM »
It's a mystery :blink: especially if she's never begged before..does she wait nicely while you prepare her food or does she act as if you have never fed her before?
By the way Lynne I love your avatar ;)  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Begging For Food
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 06:54:47 PM »
If we are eating we have to send her into her basket, but you can still feel her watching you and following every mouthful. It's not nice being watched :ph34r:
I could live with it  ;) ....you may have seen my previous post, about Molo trying to get his paws into our dinner at the table  :rolleyes: We have resorted to crating him while I work on training him to leave us alone - I don't think I'll ever be able to stop him watching each mouthful though!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Begging For Food
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 08:02:11 PM »
Yes she sits beside you and waits till you prepare her food. She will wait until you have put the bowl down and told her she can start.  She is correction was really good with food and around others eating, thats why I'm puzzled  :rolleyes: with her new behaviour.
Lynne and Mya xx

scoobie

Begging For Food
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 08:33:32 PM »
Are you sure that no one in your house has been giving her tidbits of human food without your knowledge and she likes the taste and hangs around hoping she may get something ?
I know they can try begging ;) but like you say Lynne if she's never bothered before makes you wonder why she's starting just lately

Offline lynnebr

• Site Member
Begging For Food
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 08:39:42 PM »
Mya gets the crust off a slice of toast in the morning and that is the only human food she gets. Everyone has been warned not to feed her anything but her own food. I have questioned everyone and they all say they have not fed her. The mystery continues. <_<  
Lynne and Mya xx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Begging For Food
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 10:27:22 PM »
I can totally sympathise with you.  Molly has turned into a food fiend since we had her spayed in June.  Until then she could go days without food :rolleyes: .  If anyone drops any food it practically hits her on the back of the head in her speed to grab it first :lol:   Thankfully, she doesn't bark or beg, but the staring can get really annoying :lol: .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Begging For Food
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 10:46:58 PM »
I am sorry i have no ansas either, Jazz has always been very greedy and obsessed with food. I can no longer have her in the same room as food.
Even when i sit at the table she jumps up and trys to grab food off the plates. I had a sandwich in my hand whilst sitting in the sofa last saturday, and she was sat on the floor, as i talked to a friend, she jumped and grabbed it out of my hand, and it was eaten in secs.

I am sick of it, but do not know what to do. either.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Begging For Food
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 04:31:47 PM »
Cathy

I posted about a similar problem with Molo, here

I am currently trying the suggestion made by Pam - slowly training him not to jump using a 'staged' training environment - at present I've not got any further than a cup of coffee  :lol:

It does seem to be working slowly though; he used to jump constantly; now he only jumps 4 or five times in a 10 minute period  :rolleyes: , and will walk off and amuse himself for a few minutes when he has been given the command 'off'.

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Begging For Food
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 04:43:43 PM »
Kyro has started doing this recently, but we are decorating and the dining table has been taken away so we are eating on our laps, it may be a bit too tempting for him, although we do have an idea that a certain member of our faimily has allowed his to eat directly from his plate. It's not their fault, due to old age and certain illnesses they are too slow to react to it, we have been told that he will learn he will not get anything off us over time. so won't beg...
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Begging For Food
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 06:17:50 PM »
Thanks,I will keep going with my issue, but i wish it were just jumping up, she jumnps and grabs. She is lightening fast, when she snatchs anything.

We had fish and chips the other night and we stupidly put two slices of bread on the table near the edge, anyway porky jumped up and ate them in two secs flat. Then when i was chasing her to put her in another room she lept up in my dining room chair, and grabbed the whole bit of plaice, 1/2 fell back on the table and the rest was swallowed what must have been whole.  

The devil is so skinny, and gets fed two meals aday, more than the suggested amound from burns. Whens shes not in the room, she shreks and screams the whole time we are eating.

Dinner time is not enjoyable. Come think of it, nor is breakfast, or lunch, I can't even settle on the sofa with a nice big bar of dairy milk, without haveing to sit upright, or stand up and eat.

Maybe i need to change her feed, and see what happens if shes fed a large amount of food.  

i have even tried putting a house lead on her whilst we eat, but again she thros herself about and crys.  
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Begging For Food
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 09:22:53 PM »
Alfie often seems hungry on burns, so much so, that having spoken to burns I will be putting him on the adult food at 7 months.

The other suggestion is to bulk the food out with veggies. My sisters dog is on a quarter of a cabbage cooked and added to his dry food and indeed I give Alfie a "supper" of whatever veggies Im cooking at the same time we sit down for dinner, keeps him pacified and we get to eat our meal in peace. Btw i dont add salt to cooking water
Caroline and Alfie