Author Topic: Lip Fold Dermatitis  (Read 1952 times)

Penel

Lip Fold Dermatitis
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:39:30 PM »
Tilly gets this from time to time - in the little folds of her lower lips.  Its raw and nasty and horrid, I generally clean it twice a day with colloidal silver or saline, and also spray it with hypercal spray.  I also sometimes put a dab of miracle shampoo Malaseb on it - a bit diluted.
How do other cocker owners treat it as I know its a common problem within spaniel breeds.
Tilly's brother had it so badly and repeatedly he had to have an operation to remove the folds  :unsure: .
Penel

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 06:47:21 PM »
When Scully got that my vet gave me a little tube of green oily stuff to put on it. Can't remember what it was called though - I could give them a ring tomorrow and ask them to check back for me. I remember it worked a treat.
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 06:47:25 PM »
Here's an old thread where we discussed this. The Thornit routine is still working well for our Lily but other tips also work :)

Jane
Jane

Offline PennyB

Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 06:48:18 PM »
I don't have this problem with my two but my breeder suggested using 'Ekoneem' (stinky but works). I did use a dab of thornitts when I had my foster cocker who had a really bad infection when he arrived and it worked a treat.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Penel

Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 10:44:38 PM »
Thanks for the link to the previous thread about it.
I would have thought ACV would be agony to apply to open raw sores..... however I do routinely put it in their drinking water anyway.
I do have Thornit - and I do have Ekoneem so will def try the Thornit tonight- why didn't I think of that eh - obvious  :rolleyes:

I posted on a homeopathy forum about it and the advice from the veterinary homeopath was this....

Very important is to keep the lip folds clean and dry, especially after eating and drinking.

First choice of remedy is :  Mezereum 6x, one tablet 3 times a day for up to a fortnight (but give at least 7 days).

Hepar sulph. 6x ( same dosing) is given when the dog has such pain that actually nobody is allowed to touch the lips of the dog and there`s a distinct smell of very mature (Dutch) cheese.

External application : Cream or milk containing Calendula or Cardiospermum or application of Calendula mother tincture (undiluted). Use cotton bud/swab or gauze.

Offline PennyB

Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »
I think I found that thornitts worked the best for Rocky as its a dry powder and the sores were so wet.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 03:19:19 PM »
Cleo used to get it all the time, and we resorted to surgey. It was the best thing we did for her, cos she used to be getting it more than she didn't (if you know what I mean)
Livvy (litter sis to Cleo) has never been bothered by the problem.
Alfie (cleos son) get's it periodically, mainly when the weather is really hot and humid, he hasn't been affected for a while now, but they all have their folds washed with hibiscub (diluted) and rinsed well, then dried and thornitts applied. We still have to do Cleo 'cos she feel she's missing out on something if we don't! :rolleyes:  
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 09:18:09 PM »
If it is a constant problem and regularly becoming raw (i.e an ulcer), then I really recommend the surgery.  It's a minor op (as far as ops go) and for my dog Jamie (a rescue and fairly old at the time), completely solved the problem - no more pain, itching and that horrible smell!

If I had a rescue dog with this problem again, I would have the op immediately.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Lip Fold Dermatitis
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 11:21:57 PM »
Neneh had a time where she had this. I used diluted Hibiscrub to clean the area, and then dabbed it dry with kitchen towel (very gently).
My routine now whenever she has her dinner or a drink is to wipe her mouth and this seems (touch wood) to be keeping it away.  :D

That smell  :ph34r:  I can tolerate most things dog wise but that just makes me heave  :unsure: