Author Topic: Ravenous After Season  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« on: November 23, 2004, 11:54:49 AM »
Tilly has just had her season and both during and post-season she has appeared to be ravenously hungry.  Previously she has always been an indifferent eater and on the slim side.  I have been careful not to increase her food despite her entreaties and she has only actually put on 0.2kilos and now weighs 10.2 k.  She is on the petite side   :wub: and has consistently weighed 10 kilos for at least the past 6 months (she is 19 months old)

She always has about 160g Nutro split into two meals but now she wolfs everything down in seconds and is constantly asking for more.  She stands next to the cupboard where her food is and cries and cries  :(   .  I don't really want to increase her food as I am worried about her putting on weight, but she is so pitifull and I am concerned that she may be hungry. If it is just hormonal I know I should just harden my heart and ignore her in her best interests :(  :ph34r: .

IS it normal for bitches post-season to want more food?  Would be grateful for advice (and Tilly hopes you say feed her more  :D  :P  and wants you to say sausages are a good idea :rolleyes: for hungry girls :ph34r: )

Thanks

Sue and Tilly  

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 11:58:25 AM »

IS it normal for bitches post-season to want more food?  Would be grateful for advice (and Tilly hopes you say feed her more  :D  :P  and wants you to say sausages are a good idea :rolleyes: for hungry girls :ph34r: )

Thanks

Sue and Tilly
:) Hi Sue

I can only go off my experience with Indie, she had always been such a fussy eater, i'd had terrible trouble getting her to eat!  But after her first season, she too has got an appetite :D   I increased her food, but thats only as she needed the weight, I think its pretty normal for a bitch to gain an appetite after a season, even if its only shortlived :P   Can't advise on what you should do though about increasing her food, I guess thats your call :rolleyes:

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 12:11:52 PM »
Thanks for that Emma, it is reassuring to know that increased appetite is not unusual after a season.  I don't think Tilly needs the extra weight, so as she is not losing weight I think I should just keep it as it is and hide the sausages  :ph34r:  !

Oooerr, having just read another thread I am now worried that I am being precious and mollycoddling Tilly too much  :D  :P !

Sue and a disappointed Tilly

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 12:21:50 PM »
Thanks for that Emma, it is reassuring to know that increased appetite is not unusual after a season.  I don't think Tilly needs the extra weight, so as she is not losing weight I think I should just keep it as it is and hide the sausages  :ph34r:  !

Oooerr, having just read another thread I am now worried that I am being precious and mollycoddling Tilly too much  :D  :P !

Sue and a disappointed Tilly
 :lol:  :lol: No problem Sue!

Message from Indie to Tilly

Tillie if ya is ungry an ya mam won't giv ya som sasages then, jus luk at wiv them big eyes  dat we got, cos it wurks on me mam an if she not lukin, mi sista ellie, sneeks me sum under da tabel :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 12:23:46 PM »
I recently enquired whether they are inclined to put weight on during the lead up to their season and was told that it's more usual for it to happen after their season as they have an increase in appetite then.

How about giving Tilly some fruit or veg (Lottie loves carrots) when she seems to want extra?

Mary & Lottie x

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 06:33:06 PM »
How about giving Tilly some fruit or veg (Lottie loves carrots) when she seems to want extra?

Thanks for this advice Mary.  Tilly has just snacked on some carrots and broccolli left over from Emily's tea and they barely touched the sides  :D  :D .  

Message from Indie to Tilly

Tillie if ya is ungry an ya mam won't giv ya som sasages then, jus luk at wiv them big eyes dat we got, cos it wurks on me mam an if she not lukin, mi sista ellie, sneeks me sum under da tabel     

Indie, you rascal  :D  :P !  

Cheers folks, it's veggies all round for all of us from now on!  

Sue and Tilly  

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 07:13:01 AM »
Hi Sue
It's perfectly normal :) As Tilly is on the slim side she could probably carry a bit more weight without her looking podgie :)
I cook vegetables most days for the dogs. Cockers are always hungry, well mine are :rolleyes:  Veg is a good way of bulking up their food and it makes them feel a bit fuller when they have eaten.

Tracey :)  
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 10:21:32 PM »
I was going to suggest giving her fruit or vegetables as snacks but I see other people have beaten me to it.   :rolleyes:

All the cockers I've had have loved raw carrots.  Bess & Dillon also love tomatoes & cucumber, although too much cucumber has been known to make Dillon sick. Apples are usually popular too as is melon.  Bess also likes pears, but Dillon doesn't.   I've never yet had a cocker who would eat bananas or grapes though  :wacko: It's a good way to give them snacks without piling weight on them, so that you don't feel like a bad mummy.  Tilly won't know that they're healthy snacks, she'll just think she's won  :lol:  

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 10:38:06 AM »
I've never yet had a cocker who would eat bananas or grapes though

And of course grapes/raisins shouldn't be given to dogs as they are poisonous in large enough quantities.
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 01:31:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

Tilly seems much happier now on her extra vegetables, although nobody mentioned the side-effects  :blink: !  Tilly has always been a pleasantly-fragranced girl, but for the past few days she has been silently making her presence felt  :rolleyes:  :ph34r: .  she is making her own contribution to the Greenhouse Effect  :lol:  :P   Maybe this will settle down as she gets used to the veggies!

Sue and Tilly SBD

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 04:28:19 PM »
Tilly has always been a pleasantly-fragranced girl, but for the past few days she has been silently making her presence felt  :rolleyes:  :ph34r: .  she is making her own contribution to the Greenhouse Effect  :lol:
 :D  :D  :lol:  :D  :D  
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 05:25:04 PM »
Ive been feeding Alfie on veggies, both cooked and raw since he went on the Burns and I know what you mean about the side effects  :ph34r:  But it either settles down or else I've become immune :)

BTW hes at his worse after brussells (he scoffs them raw while Im preparing them)  :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Ravenous After Season
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004, 10:20:40 AM »
BTW hes at his worse after brussells 

Aren't we all?   :D  :D  :P  :lol:

Sue