Author Topic: Sporty Dogs  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Sporty Dogs
« on: November 25, 2004, 08:34:30 PM »
When I walk Molo I see several dogs of various flavours out jogging with their owners in the mornings - I'm interested to know if anyone here does this with their dogs? I have been known to 'jog'  :ph34r: - I ran the Cancer Reaearch UK's Race for Life a couple of years ago and wondered whether, once his joints are fully formed, Molo might be able to join me in morning exercise  ;)

Also, we have miles of footpaths on the Island, and often see ramblers with their dogs, they often walk up to 20 miles in a day; does anyone have a long distance doggie? We have an annual 1 day charity walk here that crosses the Island  - it is 26 miles in total, split into two legs of 10 and 16 miles, and loads of dogs do one or other of the stages; but I wonder what sort of training schedule they would need?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 09:42:56 PM »
I don't know about the training side of things but I think a lot would depend on the dogs personality too.  Molly would walk/run for miles if allowed (even as a pup) but Brodie prefers to be carried about when he feels he's done enough exercise for the day :lol:  (as anyone on the last COL meet will testify to.

I always think they look like great companions whenever I see dogs out running with their owners.  Although mine will never have the chance as I was built for comfort rather than speed :lol:  :lol: .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 10:02:00 PM »
I've been a serious runner, and have found with the cockers that I have had, they are not made for stamina and although they will happily come for the run, their pace although faster initially soon wears off and 3 miles is more than enough for them, whereas the collie type dog we had could do about 7 miles easily and at a good pace!
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 10:17:13 PM »
x
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline PennyB

Sporty Dogs
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 10:21:29 PM »
I do 5-10 mile walks with Wilf and Ruby quite regularly but thats more about not having the time to do more (and mine have what it takes to do longer distance). I'm working up to doing some of the Brecons and Black mountains now that Wilf is older.

I don't jog as I hate it but I do walk at a good fast pace when going on longer walks.

I know of 2 owners here who regularly jog with their cockers.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 10:04:04 AM »
I know its good to excercise your dogs, but on a serious note, I've heard of dogs being 'conditioned' to chase joggers as a result of this. :ph34r:
Anyone else have experience of this. Not being very sporty minded, my idea of excercise is watching the snooker on the TV! :rolleyes:  
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 10:09:51 AM »
When we first got Lennox and Molly i used to run with them round the park .now they run i walk i'm to old. :D  
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 05:21:35 PM »
Brogan is 16 months old now and has joined me on a couple of runs - he absolutely loves it :)   He is a great pace-maker - we are very evenly matched!  Our runs together at the moment are no more than 1.5 mile as he is still being conditioned to it (and I am building back up again after having to take time out)  I also try to do the majority of my run on soft ground to lessen the impact on his joints.  Shame that he treats them like a warm up though :angry:  they have so far given him an energy boost as opposed to wearing him out!  Although Bailey loves the mad rough and tumble dog play when Brogan gets home.

I can't wait until Bailey can join us when he has matured - a run along a beach  with hubby and 2 cockers in tow will be heaven!!

Brogan and I frequently walk 5 mile now -  this doesn't tire him either :angry:  just hate having to leave Bailey at home at the moment :(  but it is also lovely to have some special time alone with Brogan :wub:

Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline markjcage

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 10:21:27 PM »
I decided earlier this year that I was going to train for and run a half marathon.
I did a bit of training in the summer and was getting into it when school started again and I needed to do my training in the morning or afternoon i.e. walkies time.

So, I decided to run around Daisy's and my usual walking route on the Downs.
Daisy came along and kept up without any problem (3 miles at first).
The next few times I ran a different route without her and on other days stuck to walking around our normal route with her.
About the third time I took Daisy along running she obviously knew what was about to happen. It must have been my running gear as she wouldn't have known if we were going to walk or run.

Well, off I set and Daisy sniffs for about 100 yards, then just stops.
And barks at me.
Constantly.
I decide to carry on (as she always follows me everywhere).
I ran on about 200 yards and turned to look back.
Daisy had come to the top of the hill so she could see me and had started barking again.
So I ran back (she wagged her tail) and I put her on the lead (she stopped wagging her tail)
I started running with her on the lead thinking she would be ok a bit further.
She kept up with me and i stopped and let her off the lead.
Off I ran again.
She watched me go then barked, turned around and off she sprinted back towards the car. So there I was sprinting to catch her before she reached the road.

The next time I tried a new tactic.
Daisy's favourite walk is along the beach, which is divided by goynes.
Sometimes I walk along the prom whilst she sprints down to the sea, paddles, chases seagulls then sprints back up the steps, follows me to the next steps then runs down and does the same thing. If the tide is out she runs along the beach and follows me from there.
I thought I could run along the prom whilst she did her stuff on the beach.
Well anyway, we set off, she runs along with me realise swhat's happening, stops and barks again. I carrry on, she follows me. We reach the end of the seafront and turn to go back. Run along and reach where we parked. I wanted to carry on a bit further but no, Little miss stubborn ears decides she's going to the car so off she sprints again. Cue another mad dash to catch her.

So, I've decided to become a sprinter.
Well actually, I just walk with Daisy and have given up the idea of the half marathon.
Anyway, I feel that this time of the day is her time and I'll do whatever she enjoys.
And walking and sniffing it is!

Does anyone want to buy a pair of nearly new trainers?   :rolleyes:  

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 10:42:57 PM »
Mark do you fancy swapping dogs a couple of times a week? :lol: I can get a quiet stroll in the park and you'll can run a few rings round my dog!!  

A 5 mile walk with Brogan is not a bimble - we are talking a fast step out pace and he runs back n forth the whole time and returns home full of life!  I interval train when I run - using speed and hills - this doesnt get him panting either!  Think I might start eating Naturediet and Naturenzyme!!! ;)

Daisy sounds just adorable - a girl that knows what she wants in life B)  :P

Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 11:52:04 PM »
:lol: 
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 07:03:21 PM »
Indie does about five miles jogging with hubby, 3 or so times a week. He's great, just trots after him everywhere, and loves the work out.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Sporty Dogs
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 08:52:46 PM »
Sounds like this is a definitely an option then...look out for a new super-fit me in about 18 months time  :lol:

(I don't want to start yet, as at only 6 months it would be too much on his joints)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club