Author Topic: Show type, working type or both!?  (Read 4074 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: Show type, working type or both!?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 08:04:59 PM »
.If I had known about this web site before I bought her I dont think I would have. As a gundog I feel terribly guilty that she is not being worked or trained properly.

I totally agree with everything you said here, I'm glad I DIDn't know about this forum before I got Chloe, cos she might not have been with me now I also feel guilty about not being able to work Chloe, and have posted on here about that before. Its simply not feasible though so I just try and compensate with keeping her mind active in other ways.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »

If I was to buy a pup, I would probably go for a Show.... while I adore workers, I know some just aren't suited to a pet home, and I would worry I couldn't neccessarily meet the needs of a worker.  I adore Honey (3/4 worker) and would love a full worker, but would go the rescue route for this. (Unless my life changes dramatically and I could devote even more time to training dogs... in which case I would love a little Worker pup....)

Heart would go for Worker, but head knows I'd be better looking at Show in future.

I probably have the "worst" of both worlds in Honey - a very intelligent, mentally demanding, busy little dog, with a very fluffy almost show coat!!!  I know she doesn't have the drive of some workers but I can't know how much of her ability to relax at home and cope with being left is the work we have put in...  :-\ 

We didn't choose to go for a worker/show mix, as we didn't know Honey had any worker in her... but I'm very happy with the dog we have!  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »
.If I had known about this web site before I bought her I dont think I would have. As a gundog I feel terribly guilty that she is not being worked or trained properly.

I totally agree with everything you said here, I'm glad I DIDn't know about this forum before I got Chloe, cos she might not have been with me now I also feel guilty about not being able to work Chloe, and have posted on here about that before. Its simply not feasible though so I just try and compensate with keeping her mind active in other ways.

I have gone through this guilt also, as I don't drive and so have no access to suitable training for them. However I do think, aslong as you have the time and energy to invest in keeping them physically and mentally active, they can live a happy and fulfilled life as an active pet. Freya is a testament to this, she has no behavioural problems and is more than happy to crash and relax when we are home, as i'm sure other worker owners find too

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 10:30:03 PM »
Having had two show types... I'd opt for a worker next time. My first show type was a hyper loon with a crazy hunt drive and SO much fun and I thought all show cockers were like that (within reason) but Dave has shown me otherwise, as have a lot of other show types I've met. I love him to pieces and he's a very special little chap but I prefer a bit more of a challenge and higher energy levels, plus I've met some really biddable, focused workers and I'd love that! I love my Weim too and love having a bigger dog and love her intelligence and ability but she is VERY stubborn and the huffiness gets a seriously tedious at times :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
I don't actually like show types as a rule. ph34r but ended up with one... and the worst one anyone could wish for. :lol2: I love him dearly, but he's not the sort of dog i'd have chosen at all. His only saving grace really is his worker-like energy levels. :005: If i was to get another cocker it'd be a worker all the way for me, :luv: and definitely not a pup, adult rescues are all i would consider. :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
I have one each.  I knew Murphy's mum, infact we met her and his sister out on tonights walk, and I wanted the hyper, nutter I got.  He's as bright as button, and adapts so easily to changes in routine.  He has been a brilliant first dog for me, and I wouldn't change him for the world.

I had always wanted to own a show cocker, I met a lady in Blackpool years back (might even be a COLer) with two puppies, and I knew then I would have one.  When we decided to add a poopie to the family there was only ever going to be a show cocker coming home, Maddi was part of an accidental litter, and it was after her I discovered COL, and the 'proper' channels for puppy buying.  She is the laziest wee beggar but will walk and run and play with a working cocker gusto, and then snore on the sofa.

They are chalk and cheese and I love them both.  :luv:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline ruraich

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 10:40:58 PM »
Ours are all working bred and they all work - well September to end of January anyway :005: Ours seem to be a lot calmer and quieter than any of the "show" bred dogs I've known. We'd always had ESS's until I saw a cocker work 14 years ago and that was love at first sight :luv: I've just got my 6th cocker.

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 10:51:30 PM »
always been drawn to the droopy snoopy look of the show type. i found my old hymn book the other day, and i seem to have drawn a henry in the front of it! my friend's and my aunties cockers were my dream dogs when i was growing up. never really considered another breed even (apart from the idea of a greyhound, which ended up being a rabbit for a pet-shy ex boyfriend) and a parsons russel terrier (until i thought it through with the resident rabbit!)

only know one worker who does everything 100mph and goes off on her own little adventures on walks, always comes right back to the whistle, but they dont have the same sort of being on a walk together experience i get with henry. that might be a personalty thing tho rather than a worker / show thing?
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »
Until I started looking for a Cocker pup I had NO idea there were 2 strains, I don't feel embarassed about this anymore as it is quite clear I am not alone ;) We had a Golden Cocker (show type) when I was growing up,and I knew I would have one, one day. To me (and of course this is personal and not based on 'fact' or origin) a Show Cocker is a Cocker Spaniel, if I had bought a worker without realising I would have been very upset, I LOVE the Show Cocker look, we have so many people stop us to fuss over ours as they are soooooo beautiful, I think the nice thing about Show Cockers is that they are incredibly cute pups but they get more beautiful as they grow :luv: :luv: :luv: And as Jennybee said I couldn't cope with a Dog that needed to 'work' my 2 are quite lazy for Cockers and as long as they have their mad spells chasing around the garden they are happily fast asleep on the Sofas, and don't even think about taking them out in the rain, they run and hide under the kitchen table :005:. So Show all the way for me ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »

only know one worker who does everything 100mph and goes off on her own little adventures on walks, always comes right back to the whistle, but they dont have the same sort of being on a walk together experience i get with henry. that might be a personalty thing tho rather than a worker / show thing?

Yeah I guess this is down to the dog. Freya is always checking where I am and running back to join me. She does go off for a wander but rarely out of sight, and returns quickly to check in. Harveys too young to say yet, so far hes a distractable little monster  :005:

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 02:05:51 AM »
Before joining COL I didnt know that there were 2 strains of cocker. Even when we still lived in the UK I never ever came across a worker, so the show strain was all I knew. I love the show cockers (tho there are some gorgeous workers on here and am grateful to COL for teaching me about the 2 strains) - their droppy ears and goofy faces!
When I was 18, my local pub had a resident blue roan show type who I fell in love with, and was lucky enough to be able to take out for walks most days as the family were too busy running the pub. After our cats passed, my family wanted to get a dog and after researching breeds and having met 'Sophie' the cocker from the pub, it was decided a cocker would be the breed for us. We got 'Tilly' a blue roan and tan show type as a rescue aged 18 mnths. She was laid back and just fit into our routines.
Three and a half years after we lost Tilly, my OH & I got Lady an orange roan show type (In Australia, we dont have the working strain cocker) who recently turned 13 yrs old. She is happy to run around like a loon and go for long bush walks, and is equally happy to curl up on the recliner and snore away as she is now!!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 06:25:14 AM »
I have two workers and right now workers were the right choice for me. My original intention was to get a springer but I was worried about the size. I only live in a small terrace and a big springer would be too much. I never considered cockers as I didnt realise there were two strains and I dont like the low set ears of a show cocker.  ph34r.

After doing some research into smaller strains of springer I came across a picture of a working cocker and realised that was the dog for me. Perfect size with the look and energy levels I wanted.

I love their energy and the madness. It suits me perfectly as my weekends often involve morning hikes in the peaks followed by agility/flyball. I also do rally obedience as well as im trying to teach them abit of heel work to music. My OH takes my oldest with him when he goes cycling and a neighbour also takes him running in the week when we're at work.

I have the energy and fitness levels (at the moment) to keep up. Im sure there are some show cockers that could keep up with all that but they arent as suited to it as a worker. And I imgine when Im older a show  strain dog would be for me but right now they're perfect

I do feel guilty about not working them but I also think that the roll of a dog isnt set in stone. We as owners need to work out if the activities we enjoy are enough to keep your dog content. If either one of mine had an out of control working drive I would look more seriously at gun dog classes but right now they're both happy enough with the other stuff

Offline ruraich

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 08:51:09 AM »
Until I started looking for a Cocker pup I had NO idea there were 2 strains, I don't feel embarassed about this anymore as it is quite clear I am not alone ;) We had a Golden Cocker (show type) when I was growing up,and I knew I would have one, one day. To me (and of course this is personal and not based on 'fact' or origin) a Show Cocker is a Cocker Spaniel, if I had bought a worker without realising I would have been very upset, I LOVE the Show Cocker look, we have so many people stop us to fuss over ours as they are soooooo beautiful, I think the nice thing about Show Cockers is that they are incredibly cute pups but they get more beautiful as they grow :luv: :luv: :luv: And as Jennybee said I couldn't cope with a Dog that needed to 'work' my 2 are quite lazy for Cockers and as long as they have their mad spells chasing around the garden they are happily fast asleep on the Sofas, and don't even think about taking them out in the rain, they run and hide under the kitchen table :005:. So Show all the way for me ;)

Had to laugh at that as one of our "workers" would quite happily spend the entire day working in the wet but try and take him for a simple walk in the rain and he throws up his paws in horror :005:
Our dogs don't have mad spells and when not out for a walk can be found asleep on on the sofa or even on the bed  :embarassed: They've just spent the last ten weeks on limited walks as my OH has had to walk them after work as I've had a hip replacement op. They haven't been bouncing off the walls as some might expect.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:22 AM »
They've just spent the last ten weeks on limited walks as my OH has had to walk them after work as I've had a hip replacement op. They haven't been bouncing off the walls as some might expect.

Neither my current show or my Weim (who's very very energetic and would go all day when we're actually out) seem to mind if they miss stuff on an off day either - although I'd say Dave would mind before Normy. My last show type was a nightmare if he didn't get a lot of exercise and mental activity every day but Normy and Dave seem happy to chill which is fortunate as dragging two small children around in the rain or if they're ill isn't much fun :shades:

It might be because I'm at home all day and they get to do lots of stuff with the kids also, but both of them do like their snooze time :005:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 09:29:52 AM »
They've just spent the last ten weeks on limited walks as my OH has had to walk them after work as I've had a hip replacement op. They haven't been bouncing off the walls as some might expect.

It might be because I'm at home all day and they get to do lots of stuff with the kids also, but both of them do like their snooze time :005:

Have to say that mine are the same.  At times when I haven't been well they have been quite happy to curl up on the sofa with me or they will entertain each other.  They also like their snooze time.  After camping this weekend where they were on the go for 2 days running either with me or in the doggy creche I had 3 very grumpy girls who were having a pop at each other for the slightest little thing.  Thankfully Roly is happy whatever the occassion.  :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love