Author Topic: Daisy Has To Have An Op :(  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Daisy Has To Have An Op :(
« on: December 03, 2004, 10:23:49 AM »
Only a small one but I'm still so worried.     :(

She has a lump on the inside of her ear flap, it started off small like a wart but has grown quite quickly in the last week. We took her to the vet last night and she said it was a growth (can't remember the name) and that sometimes Cockers get them but she had never seen such a young Cocker have one (Daisy is 5 and a half months). I wish she hadn't told me that because now I'm even more worried.

I wish I'd written down the name that she said so I could tell you. She has given me steroid cream to put on the lump to shrink it and Daisy has to go and have it removed under anasthetic in two weeks.

I'll be a wreck when I have to leave her there.    :(  
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 10:41:41 AM »
Fern gets these - they come and go! Except the last one which was burst by a puppy bite. It has scabbed over and the vet is happy that it will heal its self!

So don't fret! ;)  
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 04:54:58 PM »
Would it be a hystiocytoma?

If it is then my Soph had one of those removed from her ear when she was about 11 months old. That was similar to a wart that grew quickly.  I first noticed it when I caught it whilst brushing her and it bled.  Only lasting effect has been she has a tiny tear on her ear.  I was worried at the time too, but it was all ok as soon as I saw her again when I went in to collect her.  
For piece of mind (especially if Daisy is insured) you could have it sent to the lab for analysis.  I found out within a couple of days that it was benign, I was very relieved.

It's horrible when they have to have anything done.   :(

Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 04:58:43 PM »
:(  I know how you feel - its horrible leaving them at the vets.

I'm sure she will be ok - give her a hug from us x   :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

tracee

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 07:23:08 PM »
every thing will be fine im sure :D  but i know what you mean about leaving them at the vets  :(  i"m bad enough leaving mine at the clippers
                                tracee xxxx

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 01:15:48 AM »
Cockers get them but she had never seen such a young Cocker have one (Daisy is 5 and a half months). I wish she hadn't told me that because now I'm even more worried.

My Archie fell into the Charlton lakes when he was five months old (luckily no harm done even though he sank to the bottom amongst all the pond weed!).  A few days later he got a lump on his lip which was very small and flat.  This lump then developed into a “button” shape during the following week. Our vet said it was a histiocytoma (also known as button cell tumours) and that they can be caused by a knock or bump which causes the cells affected to go into overdrive and multiply thereby forming a benign tumour.

He advised that these are common in dogs and will usually regress spontaneously regardless of the course of treatment pursued.  As the lump was unsightly we opted to have it surgically removed.  It was examined and it was benign.

A few months later a friends cocker developed one on her neck.  Her vet said the same to her about them regressing by themselves and so she decided to wait six weeks to see what happened.  Sure enough before the six weeks were up the tumour had disappeared and there was no trace that it had ever been there!

Good luck with the op.  I’m sure Daisy will be just fine!

Chrissy

Sue H

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 05:30:48 PM »
Bramble had one when he was little, only it was concealed in the feathers of his lower leg, just above his stopper pad.  He caught it when standing up against the gate (which is covered in chicken wire to stop escapes!) and the first we knew of it was when we saw it bleeding.

He had it removed since it was liable to be a source of infection in that it was open, but he was fine ... He hated wearing his Elizabethan collar though, and we had to tape a plastic bag over his bandage when he wanted to go out into the garden to do business ....

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 04:47:50 PM »
Am surprised your vet didn't offer you a biopsy 1st (only need sedation for this) as the process of the biopsy can cause enough trauma to the lump and it will then often disappear on its own.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 04:58:17 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, it really helps being able to ask others about these things rather than just fretting on my own.

The lump is a hystiocytoma and I will ask my vet about the biopsy first (Thanks PennyB) as I think Daisy is young to have to go under anasthethic unnecesarily.

Thanks again, I'll let you know what the vet says.
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 06:15:24 PM »
:( hope daisy is fine , we have just been told that hun has got a hitiocytoma on her neck  the vet has advised me to book her in for removal under a general in january im not so sure really what to do he said it would poss go on its own but shes scratching it so he thinks it should come off , also wanted to spay her at the same time  :( thanks to penny and jane for the brill advice cheers girlies xxxxx,we had a false alarm with her season but vet seems to think its on its way he must be mystic meg ha ha  :blink:  

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 09:52:28 PM »
Hi There

Jessie cocker was diagnosed with one of these when she was only 7 or 8 months old. it was on her shoulder and we waited a few days over easter to see what happened but it was very aggressive and we decided to have it removed.

It wasn't nice leaving her but she trotted off without a care in the world with the vets nurse  :ph34r: think i was more worried lol.

Only problem we had was stopping Saffi our other dog licking the stitches for her as she couldn't reach herself!!  :D

She recovered very quickly and was jumping around that afternoon!

Cheers

Jane