Author Topic: "Multiple ocular defects"  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Loes

• Limited Member
"Multiple ocular defects"
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »
I've read in the Eye scheme that "Multiple Ocular Defects" in Cockers are "under investigation" (list B). I think that they talk about cataract: or is there anything else in this definition??

When you read the kennelclub health database, does the "eye disease unaffected" only mean they eye-tested for PRA? I thought (hoped) that also included caratact and PPM. Aren't they? :huh:

Loes

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: "Multiple ocular defects"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
I've read in the Eye scheme that "Multiple Ocular Defects" in Cockers are "under investigation" (list B). I think that they talk about cataract: or is there anything else in this definition??

When you read the kennelclub health database, does the "eye disease unaffected" only mean they eye-tested for PRA? I thought (hoped) that also included caratact and PPM. Aren't they? :huh:

Loes

Multi Ocular Eye defects include congenital cataract, microphthalmia, retinal dysplasia, PPM

"Eye disease unaffected" refers to the eye diseases listed under Schedule A for Cockers ie GPRA & RPED (previously known as CPRA). Conditions like PPM, cataract etc will be noted on the eye certificate but won't result in an "affected" because these conditions are still under investigation. So you'd need to see a copy of the relevant eye certificate to know if any of these conditions were noted in a particular dog.

Jane

Offline Loes

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »
Thank you,

Is there a certain limit of "Multiple ocular defects-affected" before they transfer this from the B-list to the A-list? Does it have to show it is inherited to move to the A-list or do they just measure how many cases there are?

I know there are is quite a lot of cataract and PPM cases in dutch, finnish and swedish databases so I really hope these MOD's wil be included in the A-listing in england.

I do not understand why glaucoma is on the A-list: I only found a few cases on the kennelclub-health page and almost no cases international! Don't get me wrong: glaucoma is a terrible painfull disease and I'm glad you test for it!! But there are more inherited diseases that can cause a lot of pain or blindness that are not on the A-listing. (like HD and cataract)

Loes

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
Thank you,

Is there a certain limit of "Multiple ocular defects-affected" before they transfer this from the B-list to the A-list? Does it have to show it is inherited to move to the A-list or do they just measure how many cases there are?

No idea I'm afraid, you'd have to contact the BVA or KC to ask. All I know is that Multiocular Defects have been "under investigation" in Cockers for a long time now (many years)

I do not understand why glaucoma is on the A-list: I only found a few cases on the kennelclub-health page and almost no cases international! Don't get me wrong: glaucoma is a terrible painfull disease and I'm glad you test for it!! But there are more inherited diseases that can cause a lot of pain or blindness that are not on the A-listing. (like HD and cataract)

Yes but many cases will never appear on the KC/BVA list because most pet owned Cockers are diagnosed on referral by a vet in general practice without ever going through the KC/BVA eye testing system so they are not officially recorded anywhere. We have several members on COL whose dogs have had Glaucoma but will never appear on any list (some are rescues without pedigree details anyway). The A Schedule is for eye conditions only so that's why you won't find HD results there - there is a separate scheme for Hip Scoring ;) Hip scores are published in the quarterly KC Breed Record Supplements and are entered on the KC database.

Jane

Offline Loes

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »
I get it ;)

In my quest on the kennelclub database I only found 4 glaucoma-cockers: 1 parti and 3 solids. Found one solid in finland. Is it more a solid then a parti problem or is this a coincendence??

I do understand HD is not in the eye examination  :005: 

Loes

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
I get it ;)

In my quest on the kennelclub database I only found 4 glaucoma-cockers: 1 parti and 3 solids. Found one solid in finland. Is it more a solid then a parti problem or is this a coincendence??

Again there isn't enough data to say one way or the other - you can't just go by the KC database since we have a huge Cocker population in the UK, most are never tested under the eye scheme and some are not even KC registered. Even those you have found on the KC database do not necessarily have Glaucoma - they have failed the test which looks for predisposition which isn't an exact science from what I understand.

Jane