Author Topic: Smelly Dog  (Read 796 times)

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
Smelly Dog
« on: December 04, 2004, 12:06:03 PM »
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help. Since Barney has been neutered he has developed this very pungent smell. Its a weird smell - almost sweet and quite musky. He used to smell beautiful and now he scents every room he walks into... :unsure:

Does anyone have any ideas - is this usual to develop a new smell - can we get rid of it any way??

Thanks for any help as  we want our  nice smelling house back!!

xx

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Smelly Dog
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 05:38:12 PM »
Hi

How long ago was it since Barney was neutered?  Could it be an infection, how he is in himself?

There are lots of other things it could be, quite unrelated to the neutering and obviously it's very difficult to suggest things over the internet, particularly without a 'SMELL' button to press  :P

I would take him to the vets for a checkup.

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Smelly Dog
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 06:13:40 PM »
Hi Barney

Sounds like a good description of how anal glands smell!  These little glands either side of his bottom have a bad reputation for being very pungent and repulsive smelling (when full or expressed), however the smell is often as you describe.

I wouldn't know if the smell is connected to his recent operation or whether it's a coincidence that they are full and need emptying.  Once they get very full they can ooze a little and this is where the smell maybe coming from.

Has your boy had a bath since his operation?  I only ask because it’s possible during the procedure that he may have been a little worried at the vets prior to the operation or during his recovery from the anaesthetic and he may have discharged his own glands.  The smell from the glands seems to come from the whole dog as they wash their bottom the secretion transfers to their tongue and anywhere else the lick/wash afterwards.

If you are not confident enough to check and or empty the glands yourself then ask your vet or dog groomer to check them for you.  If you want to do this yourself they are located at the clock position of 3.40 i.e. twenty to four either side of the anal opening.  If you place a finger and thumb either side in this location and gently squeeze your finger and thumb shut whilst pressing gently in towards the bottom they will squirt the contents out!  This procedure isn’t painful for the dog (although they can sometimes take objection to you messing around with their “personal” area)! and it’s quite in order for you to safely empty the glands.

Chrissy

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
Smelly Dog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 12:19:45 PM »
thank you both for answers!! :)

He was neutered in June so i don't think it is connected - and he has been bathed since... i think i might bath him too much - well about 1 per month (i have no idea what other people do :huh: )

Maybe your right on the anal glands front.... although they were emptied out a few months ago - again im not sure how quickly they fill up again??

He is due for his annual booster and check up .... so that will be my first question!!

Thanks for the insight though - im sure your right!!

Barney xx

Offline PennyB

Smelly Dog
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 09:59:10 PM »
Maybe your right on the anal glands front.... although they were emptied out a few months ago - again im not sure how quickly they fill up again??

Ruby's filled up again in 2 months so its possible they may be full. It can vary from dog to dog.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!