Author Topic: Does your cocker groan when you stroke him/her?  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Does your cocker groan when you stroke him/her?
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
Dave is a pretty 'special' boy in a lot of ways  :shades: :005: And like most cockers he LOVES :004: :004: attention, but it occurred to me when he was getting his morning cuddles from me and Mags today that his usual groaning when he gets his head stroked may not be normal :lol:

Does anyone else's cocker groan when they get attention? It's like a low rumbling noise he makes through his nose from the back of his throat and if you stop he makes the noise more loudly and shoves himself against you.. he waggles on the spot whilst he's doing it and will often throw in a woowoowooooooo for good measure. He's done this since he was a pup although he sounded more like a clucking chicken in those days ph34r :005:

Normy thinks all this is pathetic and disgusting as she'd never be seen asking for attention from anybody, it's degrading and should be huffed at ::) :005:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Does your cocker groan when you stroke them?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »
Perfectly normal here - all three dogs have done it. Though I must confess it may be because I graon and make noises when I cuddle them and they may just copy me when they cuddle me too! :005:

Not sure if this is normal but when Tali lies down he makes a small groaning noise too, and lots of relaxed sighing, which I only just found out is a sign of contentment.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »
Yep Ollie does, but not all the time. He comes up and lifts his paw for you to hold so you get drawn into paying him attention because he looks so cute!! Sometimes the low grumbling noise starts - especially when you rub his groin area  ph34r !!! If you dare stop you'll get a talking too and pawed until you start again  :005:

I must admit Ollie is the noisest dog I've ever met and he does have a noise for anything and everything!! In the vets last week when we went for his lip fold infection he was extremley noisey and the receptionest said 'alright Ollie we've heard you' then when we got in the vet room, she commented 'so you're the noisy one'  ph34r - thanks Ollie

L&O x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Misha groans - I used to think she was growling, but its definitely a groan when she's getting cuddles.

Roly seems to groan and sigh at the same time - sometimes he sounds as if he's enjoying his cuddle a little too much (x-rated)  ;)
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline BabyB

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
Another groaner in this house with Henry. He wants fussing, then when you do he starts groaning at you  :luv:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:19 AM »
Oh Monty does. He comes across as quite smarmy, unnerves me a little sometimes  ph34r :005:
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »
Liv & Tinker no but Purdey does & what a groaner she is  :lol2:   
If she's laying on her back & you stop fussing her, you get a long, low groan with a little bark on the end of it ....the funny thing is, that all her paws jump when she barks. (& if you do 'walkies round the garden' on her tummy for long enough , you can, actually get her to fall asleep ...... not that our dogs are treated like anything else, than dogs!!  ;)    :011:  )
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
Baja does it all the time and we have now worked out where to rub his ear to get that back leg thumping at the same time  :005:

Mole doesn't do it though.

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
Hi

Diesel no but Olli is a groaner, thought he was growling at first and told him off for it, ( >:D mam) He does sometimes get quite loud and forces his head to your hand  :005:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
Woody and Ozzy both are groaners if you didn't know Ozzy (rottie) you would think he was vicious and growling but it is only him telling you he is enjoying being stroked. Roxy doesn't do it at all.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
William yes, Louis no.

William is a great moaner and hoohoo-er both when he's getting attention and when he wants it. He also has a special noise that he makes only when he's rolling in grass (he doesn't roll in anything smelly) or rolling on the carpet, which is a mix of groaning and arr arr arring  :lol2:. I wonder if it's a Cocker thing and other breeds just don't do it? Friends who have other breeds but no Cocker experience tend to be amazed when they first hear William talking and, sadly, some people are a bit scared as if they think he's vicious or something.

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 03:03:14 PM »
Murphy will do it sometimes, and if you stop doing it he looks at you and makes a kind of high hmph noise  :005:

When OH rubs Maddi's tummy she does it so loud it sounds like a growl, a really nasty growl  ph34r
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »
Meg does this! She also does it when Alfie is cuddling her. It can sound quite evil as she sometimes opens her mouth a bit as you're cudding her, especially if you pick her up or put her on your knee :005:. People can be quite wary of it and ask if shes growling but she isnt, shes just talking to us and showing her appreciation :005:. Alfie doesnt though, he just makes noise in all the other things he does in life so im kinda glad >:D :005: :luv: xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
Elmo does this too when he is stroked, he also has the habit of shoving himself against people, giving his paw, putting his head on our knees etc. He usually is very persistent ::) and begs for attention sometimes. When he lies down and wants to go to sleep (usually in the evening), he groans and sighs :lol2: At night you can usually hear groaning from his basket or from under the bed, along with snoring and barking in his sleep :lol2:
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »
I'm a groomer and the amount of spaniels I get groaning on the table(which also happens to be in a sunbeam) when I start combing or using the coat king!  My spaniels think they are crazy enjoying a grooming session.
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?