Author Topic: Help Male Weeing Inside House  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Help Male Weeing Inside House
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 10:20:37 AM »
Yes every breeder does have to start somewhere but it is quite unusual for a new breeder to start with both males & females which is why I think your situation has caused a few comments. I know when we started in Cockers (nearly 20 years ago) it was not considered the "done" thing for new breeders to keep dogs at stud until they had quite a few years experience in the breed- we waited 10 years before we considered we knew enough to keep an entire male. I sometimes think that those who keep males for breeding too early on are tempted to use them on their own bitches all the time instead of choosing the best dogs available to them. This is not directed at you or anyone else particularly - just an general observation based on what I've seen happen to some people over the years.

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Help Male Weeing Inside House
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 10:39:50 PM »
I agree, althouhg I would consider myself to be well informed regarding breeding I wouldn't even consider owning a stud dog first and also I wouldn't conisder using one that I'd had for a pet 1st. If I ever had one (I doubt it) then he would have to be an exemplary example fo the breed and have to have won consistently at open/champ show level before i would even consider using him, otherwise I wouldn't be improving the breed would I??