Author Topic: Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Confused on all the brands of dried food, which one?
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 05:15:55 PM »
After reading the various reviews I have come to the conclusion that Arden Grange is the best food for Henry.  I have ordered a 15kg bag of Puppy/Junior from Pet Planet.

I hadn't realised that most of the pet foods were of such poor quality despite their prices.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »

The more you look, the more my head hurts from it all  :005:

Agreed!  There is so much choice now, it makes a decision on what's best really difficult.  I think one runs the risk these days of constantly changing your dog's diet which can't be all good either?  As others have said - it depends on your dog and what suits him/ her.  I have kept my dogs on Hill's from puppy days, as it suits both of them.  They are healthy (lovely coats), and energetic with no stomach complaints.  Reading too many reviews can serve to over-complicate things and confuse more than anything, I think.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »
I just had a long chat with our local independent pet shop owner and he explained a few things that I had got confused about. Thanks for the enlightenment upthread regarding "chicken meal".

The pet shop owner sells a range of products including Purina Beta, Burn's and JWB, and his advice was to go with a hyper-allergenic food and specifically he pointed me towards Burn's. He opened my eyes to how many brands are actually owned by Purina - Bakers included.

I was all ready to get on board with Arden Grange as their ingredients seem to be just about the best and most clearly listed, but their food is only available from one supplier withing 30 miles. Getting it delivered from AG themselves is all well and good as long as I don't run out during a postal strike. Plus, being in the back of nowhere some couriers don't even deliver to Aberdeen or charge a surplus because we are in the Highlands. We're not and we are the hub for the country's most important industry. Hey ho.

So, it looks like it'll be Burn's for Posie over the coming weeks.

It's worth remembering that the article that has really brought this issue to the forefront was talking about the longer term damage of the poor quality feeds. Nothing was really said about short term problems other than some skin of digestive upsets which can easilly be remidied. So I would suggest we don't all get paranoid and make quick switches. I'll be finishing off the two bags of Beta Puppy and switching over once we're near the bottom of the bag.

Incidentally, we tried Posie on a little fresh cooked chicken to supplement her kibble last night, and as expected she devoured the chicken first then went back for the dry food.  :005: However, the smell later on through the night...  >:(

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
I just had a long chat with our local independent pet shop owner and he explained a few things that I had got confused about. Thanks for the enlightenment upthread regarding "chicken meal".

The pet shop owner sells a range of products including Purina Beta, Burn's and JWB, and his advice was to go with a hyper-allergenic food and specifically he pointed me towards Burn's. He opened my eyes to how many brands are actually owned by Purina - Bakers included.

I was all ready to get on board with Arden Grange as their ingredients seem to be just about the best and most clearly listed, but their food is only available from one supplier withing 30 miles. Getting it delivered from AG themselves is all well and good as long as I don't run out during a postal strike. Plus, being in the back of nowhere some couriers don't even deliver to Aberdeen or charge a surplus because we are in the Highlands. We're not and we are the hub for the country's most important industry. Hey ho.

So, it looks like it'll be Burn's for Posie over the coming weeks.

It's worth remembering that the article that has really brought this issue to the forefront was talking about the longer term damage of the poor quality feeds. Nothing was really said about short term problems other than some skin of digestive upsets which can easilly be remidied. So I would suggest we don't all get paranoid and make quick switches. I'll be finishing off the two bags of Beta Puppy and switching over once we're near the bottom of the bag.

Incidentally, we tried Posie on a little fresh cooked chicken to supplement her kibble last night, and as expected she devoured the chicken first then went back for the dry food.  :005: However, the smell later on through the night...  >:(

Indie my 3 year old is fed Burns however when I first put her on Burns about 6 months of age, she lost weight on this food so had to take her off it.    Now that she is an adult and spayed, the Burns suits her and maintains her weight nicely.    I think it must have been the very low protein level which made her lose condition and weight especially when she was supposed to still be putting it on.     

However that may have just been her, not sure if anyone else has experienced Burns with losing weight on here  :dunno:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 03:18:31 PM »

Jessie was one that lost a lot of weight also scurffy coat, and I know there are are others on here that have had the same problem with Burns. She has been on Barking Heads for nearly two years she regained her lost weight, she was not overweight in the first place if you know what I meanand at 9.6Kgs she is just right and her weight is staying steady at that.

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »
Jeanette, the shop owner suggested putting Posie onto the Junior range as it has bigger chunks which may help her overcome the reduced portion weight. I think losing that extra protein from the puppy version would be noticeable but I can always boost it back up by giving her extra fresh chicken etc. She had some last night and loved it.

I haven't done the maths, but a 3kg bag of Beta Puppy costs £7.50 and a 2kg bag of JWB puppy costs £7.50 but has smaller portion sizes by about 25% (I think), so it comes close to balancing out. I'm not sure a hungry puppy is going to see it that way to start though.

Today she woke on the sofa at precisely 1pm - her dinner time - and started pestering me. I think somebody has taught her to tell the time.  :shades:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »
Jeanette, the shop owner suggested putting Posie onto the Junior range as it has bigger chunks which may help her overcome the reduced portion weight. I think losing that extra protein from the puppy version would be noticeable but I can always boost it back up by giving her extra fresh chicken etc. She had some last night and loved it.

I haven't done the maths, but a 3kg bag of Beta Puppy costs £7.50 and a 2kg bag of JWB puppy costs £7.50 but has smaller portion sizes by about 25% (I think), so it comes close to balancing out. I'm not sure a hungry puppy is going to see it that way to start though.

Today she woke on the sofa at precisely 1pm - her dinner time - and started pestering me. I think somebody has taught her to tell the time.  :shades:

Just wanted you to be aware of it if it happens  ;)   I'm not saying its a bad food as Indie has it now.   

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Petepreston, I have ordered Arden Grange from Pet Planet who are in Scotland.  They are cheaper than most other places, and there is no charge for delivery if you buy the 15kg bag.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=521

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »
Burns didn't suit Jarvis either - his skin was dry and scurfy, he lost weight and condition and he hated it.  He liked Arden Grange and he did well on that but I didn't like beet pulp being used as a filler so I moved to Healthy Paws and BARF which he does well on.... but he seems constantly hungry on it so after 12 months on it I'll be changing to Barking Heads (and BARF as well)

With all due respect  'independent' pet stores are on commission with various food companies and will always represent and recommend the foods that they get the best kick back from.  They aren't nutritionists that's for sure, and they certainly don't know about all the brands available out there, especially the ones that are cheaper direct on line  ;)

As for running out of food - I don't think it's exactly science about how much you're using - we always re-order with about 2 or 3 weeks left to go so I wouldn't really worry about delivery etc  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »
Burns didn't suit Jarvis either - his skin was dry and scurfy, he lost weight and condition and he hated it.  He liked Arden Grange and he did well on that but I didn't like beet pulp being used as a filler so I moved to Healthy Paws and BARF which he does well on.... but he seems constantly hungry on it so after 12 months on it I'll be changing to Barking Heads (and BARF as well)

My lot have half BARF and half kibble and in terms of kibble we've had exactly the same experiences as above except I've already moved them back to Barking Heads from Healthy Paws - Burns didn't suit Rodaidh or Alfie at all, they both lost a lot of weight and looked awful; Arden Grange was fine but I don't feed beet pulp, especially with Ro having allergies; Healthy Paws is a great food but again I've struggled to maintain Ro's and especially Caoimhe's weight on it and they were always hungry even with the half-BARF element of their diet. They'd tried Barking Heads before and really liked it so I put them back on it a couple of months ago now and so far so good.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 07:18:15 PM »
I am having the same problem with Kali.  She is constantly hungry.  Never tried Barking Heads but may now.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »

My two definitely seem more satisfied after a meal on the Barking Heads than the Burns. I know cocker's are usually greedy little  >:D but I think you can tell the difference when they are still hungry after a meal.   I have been feeding the Barking Heads for quite awhile now about 20months plenty of time to notice coat and body condition and both very good, no dry coat. 

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:01 PM »
Burns didn't suit Jarvis either - his skin was dry and scurfy,

Well that may explain Indie's dandruff which I'm trying salmon oil to get rid of - I never thought it could be the food  :doh: :doh: