Author Topic: House Line  (Read 981 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
House Line
« on: December 20, 2004, 07:03:45 PM »
Has anyone any experience of using a house line?

I was planning to use one for the few days I was away with Molo in the holiday home, as it is open plan and there will be an xmas tree etc etc - and at 7 months, he has already developed Cocker Deafness to commands he would prefer not to obey :lol:

I would appreciate it if anyone would share their experience, thanks
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Sue H

House Line
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 08:38:14 PM »
I haven't heard of anyone who has successfully used this, but I have heard of several dogs who have managed to hang themselves to death because they have been left with a line on which has become entangled ....

Is there no way you can just isolate your dog into a space or room/s which it can move about in - or even get a dog-walker or neighbour to let your dog out or walk it whilst you are away??

Keeping them tethered seems so the opposite of what they actually need and want .. maybe you should re-think whether a dog fits in with your lifestyle or not ....

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
House Line
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 09:20:09 PM »
Sue, Rachel was just thinking of using it when they (Molo included) were away staying in a holiday home

Rachel
Never heard of them used before, infact never heard of them at all so no advice Im afraid. Maybe the christmas tree can sit up on a coffee table if its not huge? Thats what Ive done with success so far :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

House Line
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 09:21:38 PM »
I don't think Rachel wants to use it when she isn't in the room (a sa crate would suffice if that was the case) but while they are in as Molo isn't responding to house recall. I know others who've used a houseline for specifics like training new rescue dogs not to eat the house cat but not with regard to preventing eating the decorations.

May be when you get there you may be able to rearrange things so that Molo can't get at certain things (raise things up if possible or rearrange furniture so tree is more difficult to get at. My American cocker rescue hasn't arrived yet so am now taking in a collie pup from another rescue as a foster and am using puppy panels (from the pen) and other means to stop the little demon eating things he shouldn't (my house is open plan as well).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
House Line
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 10:35:31 PM »
Is there no way you can just isolate your dog into a space or room/s which it can move about in - or even get a dog-walker or neighbour to let your dog out or walk it whilst you are away??

Keeping them tethered seems so the opposite of what they actually need and want .. maybe you should re-think whether a dog fits in with your lifestyle or not ....
As others have said; I am looking for a temporary solution while I am on holiday, and within the holiday-home with Molo - we are taking his playpen with us for when we are out or cannot closely supervise him, but wondered if a line would allow him that bit of extra freedom without having to stay within arms reach of him at all times! I think I might keep him on his training leash for the first few hours to give him a chance to explore gradually, and then hopefully we will have 'Molo-proofed' and he will have calmed down at bit  :lol:

Sue, I am shocked that my posts have given you the opinion that I would tether a dog while I was out - I hope no-one else thinks I would be prepared to do this?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Michele

• Site Member
House Line
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 10:38:09 PM »
Sue, I am shocked that my posts have given you the opinion that I would tether a dog while I was out - I hope no-one else thinks I would be prepared to do this?
I knew what you meant Rachel  :)  

Sue H

House Line
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 10:50:04 PM »
Sorry Rachel,

Didn't mean to imply you were going off and leaving your Cocker running up and down with a lead on - but there are people who think that is perfectly acceptable ....

At the Blue Cross we get lots of people who are 'just like you and I' until you interview them as to why they need to re-home their dogs, and it is because they just don't fit their lifestyle ....

'As puppies they were lovely, and everyone thought they were great, but now they mess in the house because we are out 10 hours a day and then go clubbing ....'

If you want a dog, you need to be able to commit to its needs and if you have to start going on about behavioural problems caused by leaving it on its own for hours, then I think you need to ask yourself Why did I get a dog in the first place??

Offline Michele

• Site Member
House Line
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 10:55:02 PM »
If you want a dog, you need to be able to commit to its needs and if you have to start going on about behavioural problems caused by leaving it on its own for hours, then I think you need to ask yourself Why did I get a dog in the first place??
I think everyone here already knows and agrees with that Sue.