Author Topic: Wheat free food  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Wheat free food
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:50:14 PM »
Other than orijen, does anyone know of any other foods which are completely wheat free please?

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Wheat free food
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
I meet these at an Agility show - the Omnipro looks interesting and sounds similar to Orijen.

Lovely lady too - sure she'd give more info if you contacted her for details http://www.omnipropetfoods.co.uk/home.html

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:26:38 PM »
Thanks Jenny, don't like the sound of poultry meal though, its in the list of foods to avoid as it doesn't state a specifically named meat or meal.   

What to avoid:
►All generic meat ingredients that do not indicate a species (meat, meat byproducts, meat byproduct meal, meat meal, meat & bone meal, blood meal, fish, fish meal, poultry, poultry byproducts, poultry meal, poultry byproduct meal, liver, liver meal, glandular meal etc.)

Looks like its Orijen then but off to have another google search.   

Offline mooching

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:32:34 PM »
Jeanette

Arden Grange says on their website:

All Arden Grange diets are free from wheat, beef, soya and dairy products

They do use fish and fish meal in their products, but as they state that everything is free from wheat, the fish meal must be free of it as well.

(I'm also curious - how can there be wheat in fish?)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 11:36:31 PM »
Thanks Jenny, don't like the sound of poultry meal though, its in the list of foods to avoid as it doesn't state a specifically named meat or meal.   

Hmmm, hadn't noticed that, looked at the Fish but that has fish meal too.

What about Robbies - mine loved it http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/robbie_dog_food_ingredients.htm  can't see any meal  :-\

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 11:52:18 PM »
I'll have a look at them then, I'm looking at changing Quinn's food anyway but he has terrible tear stains and always has since hes been home.   I've been advised that this could be because of teething but hes had it since he came home and its getting worse - could be because he's at his worst teething moment in that he could lose teeth any minute.   

However I've read that food can also cause allergies and also tear stains.    I'm hoping its just teething and will stop as he gets older but need to consider whether its the actual food I'm feeding him which contains a high proportion of wheat.     I need to change his food regardless so don't want to change and then change again so looking for wheat free ideally.   

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »

Hmmm, hadn't noticed that, looked at the Fish but that has fish meal too.

What about Robbies - mine loved it http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/robbie_dog_food_ingredients.htm  can't see any meal  :-\

Jenny, its not the meal, its the "poultry meal" where they aren't specific about which meat i.e. chicken meal, turkey meal etc - which means it could be just  :020: food.    Thanks, will have a look at Robbies - is that what you feed all your gang?  

ETA   Can't see a puppy version - is that suitable for all ages?

Offline mooching

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 12:33:16 AM »
Looks like Barking Heads and Natural Dog Food Company stuff is wheat-free as well.

Offline Albert Tatlock

• Site Member
  • Ttthhhrrrrrrppppp!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:00:24 AM »
I've recently changed Cooper onto Arden Grange Sensitive (white fish & potato) as his stools had always been excellent 1st thing in the morning then got sloppier thru the day, ending in Mr Whippy before bedtime!  I wasnt too concerned until he recently had to get his glands emptied.  I've tried him on a few different foods in the past but had settled on Arden Grange lamb & rice as he wasnt "windy" on that  :005:

When he had to get his glands done I decided time to change foods & contacted Ness @ Arden Grange on this link

http://www.ardengrange.com/arden-grange-nutritional-enquiries.asp

She was very helpful, gave loads of advice & i even got a free 2.5kg sample of Arden Grange sensitive to try Cooper on & the difference was almost instant. 

OK I know my problem is not what you are posting about but I'm sure if you contact Ness she will be able to give you advice as to what will help with whatever your dogs problem is.  I honestly felt that "speaking" to a nutritionist made me feel more positive about the change I was making, rather than me just trying out different foods to see what may or may not help (& cost me a fortune & prolonging Coopers "suffering")

And despite what the website said, I got a reply the same day!
Hope this helps

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
Looks like Barking Heads and Natural Dog Food Company stuff is wheat-free as well.

Brilliant, thank you - I really like the look of the Natural Dog Food Company.   

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »
I've recently changed Cooper onto Arden Grange Sensitive (white fish & potato) as his stools had always been excellent 1st thing in the morning then got sloppier thru the day, ending in Mr Whippy before bedtime!  I wasnt too concerned until he recently had to get his glands emptied.  I've tried him on a few different foods in the past but had settled on Arden Grange lamb & rice as he wasnt "windy" on that  :005:

When he had to get his glands done I decided time to change foods & contacted Ness @ Arden Grange on this link

She was very helpful, gave loads of advice & i even got a free 2.5kg sample of Arden Grange sensitive to try Cooper on & the difference was almost instant. 

OK I know my problem is not what you are posting about but I'm sure if you contact Ness she will be able to give you advice as to what will help with whatever your dogs problem is.  I honestly felt that "speaking" to a nutritionist made me feel more positive about the change I was making, rather than me just trying out different foods to see what may or may not help (& cost me a fortune & prolonging Coopers "suffering")

Hope this helps

Thanks for that link, I've been thinking of changing Millie to Arden grange.

Millie

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »

Hope this helps

Thanks for that link, I've been thinking of changing Millie to Arden grange.

Yes thank you for that, it is a minefield I know.    I'm looking for a food which doesn't contain wheat, maize etc, I should have been more specific in my original title.   

I'm going to go with either Orijen or The Natural Dog Food Company as they don't. 

Offline Catie74

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
You could try skinners Field and Trial duck and rice

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »

Brilliant, thank you - I really like the look of the Natural Dog Food Company.   

Is the new food not agreeing with him then Jeanette. Tear staining does show up worse on the gingas. I have wipes for Tally.  ;) It could well be cause of teething though if it's getting worse too. I used to feed The Natural Dog Food Company food, but found the service wasn't up to scratch and very difficult to get hold of. I was dubious about ordering on the net again because of this, but find the food I'm using now is brilliant and the company has brilliant service. Next day delivery etc.  ;) I don't find Tally's tear stains are any worse on this or any other food. His have never been that bad, but to me it's just something that shows up more on their colouring anyway. Dru hasn't any, but then he's black so it wouldn't show. I have a feeling there's something you can put in there food to help it too, but I may have dreamt that as I haven't tried it.  :shades: :005:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline mooching

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »
Yes thank you for that, it is a minefield I know.    I'm looking for a food which doesn't contain wheat, maize etc, I should have been more specific in my original title.   

I think you would call that "grain-free".  :D

Though if so, The Natural Dog Food Company may not be what you want, as they use oats and barley.