Author Topic: Wheat free food  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: Wheat free food
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
Looks like Barking Heads and Natural Dog Food Company stuff is wheat-free as well.

Brilliant, thank you - I really like the look of the Natural Dog Food Company.   

Is the new food not agreeing with him then Jeanette. Tear staining does show up worse on the gingas. I have wipes for Tally.  ;) It could well be cause of teething though if it's getting worse too. I used to feed The Natural Dog Food Company food, but found the service wasn't up to scratch and very difficult to get hold of. I was dubious about ordering on the net again because of this, but find the food I'm using now is brilliant and the company has brilliant service. Next day delivery etc.  ;) I don't find Tally's tear stains are any worse on this or any other food. His have never been that bad, but to me it's just something that shows up more on their colouring anyway. Dru hasn't any, but then he's black so it wouldn't show. I have a feeling there's something you can put in there food to help it too, but I may have dreamt that as I haven't tried it.  :shades: :005:

I'm hoping it is just teething which has been said to me by a couple of people especially as its really bad now, constantly wiping his eyes and its like red stain stuff which has really marked both sides of his face now.   I've been using Eye Envy for the past couple of weeks but haven't noticed a difference yet.   

I used that other supplier once but when I went back to order more, it is £2.50 delivery for every 2.5kg bag so was £37.50 for 7.5kg - more than the price of a 15kg bag so that put me off, if I went to shows I know I could get it without delivery so that may be an option when he moves onto adult food.    He is currently on Pro Plan still which I know from the previous threads is not that brilliant on the ingredients.

Anyway I've bit the bullet and ordered 2 x 2.5kg bags of Orijen for £25.00 including postage so even though its classed as an "expensive food", I thought that price was really good - will just have to watch how he gets on with the high protein but as its protein from the right sources I don't think it will be a problem.      I still have a 2.5kg bag of Pro Plan so can phase him over very very slowly. 

Yes thank you for that, it is a minefield I know.    I'm looking for a food which doesn't contain wheat, maize etc, I should have been more specific in my original title.   

I think you would call that "grain-free".  :D

Though if so, The Natural Dog Food Company may not be what you want, as they use oats and barley.

It was late last night and I'd had a couple of glasses of wine  :005:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 02:04:08 PM »
Oh right fair enough.  ;) I guess we do buy 2 of the big bags of adult at a time and a big bag of puppy at the mo and it seems to work out ok I think. Hope his eyes are ok. My little Avs has probs with ingrowing eyelashes and it was worse when she was a baby and she had very weepy eyes. The other 2 have been fine. Like I say Tally has a bit, but I wouldn't say abnormal amounts and just a quick wipe over does it. Dru doesn't seem to have weepy eyes, but I'm not sure he's really suffering with his teeth that much. He has 1 missing, but doesn't seem sore in anyway as yet. Hope the new food suits him anyway. A lot of people on here seem to like it.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
Oh right fair enough.  ;) I guess we do buy 2 of the big bags of adult at a time and a big bag of puppy at the mo and it seems to work out ok I think. Hope his eyes are ok. My little Avs has probs with ingrowing eyelashes and it was worse when she was a baby and she had very weepy eyes. The other 2 have been fine. Like I say Tally has a bit, but I wouldn't say abnormal amounts and just a quick wipe over does it. Dru doesn't seem to have weepy eyes, but I'm not sure he's really suffering with his teeth that much. He has 1 missing, but doesn't seem sore in anyway as yet. Hope the new food suits him anyway. A lot of people on here seem to like it.  ;)

Quinn's the only one suffering with it I think which is making me question whether it could be the food especially as yourself and a few of his litter sisters aren't feeding Pro Plan anymore.   

However will see how he gets on when this teething business finishes - the sooner the better as hes biting everything  :shades: :lol2:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »

Quinn's the only one suffering with it I think which is making me question whether it could be the food especially as yourself and a few of his litter sisters aren't feeding Pro Plan anymore.   

However will see how he gets on when this teething business finishes - the sooner the better as hes biting everything :shades: :lol2:

:lol2: Sounds familiar.  :shades: :005:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »
Jeanette, my dogs had food from the natural dog food company as poppy had lots of allergies, and this was the only one that she could have without having a reaction to it.  If you go on line now they are giving free samples away so it might be worth sending for some?  Dianne and Pebbles.x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline mooching

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
Jeanette, just to say that James Wellbeloved do a grain-free range. IIRC you're not keen on JWB, or your dogs aren't, but I just though I'd mention their Cerea-Free range here just in case anyone else is reading and is interested (as it's cheaper than Orijen).

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog/turkey__vegetable_kibble/adult.aspx

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog/lamb__vegetable_kibble/adult.aspx

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/natural_dog_food/fish__vegetable_cereal_free/adult.aspx

Offline SandraD

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »
Sorry Jeanette probably too late now, but Monty has barking heads and is doing really well on it.  Here's a link to their site if you want more info. and they do make a puppy version of their food http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/index.php.  He was originally on Arden Grange but didn't really like it plus it sent him somewhat hyper! ph34r  On the recommendation of our dog trainer we switched to Barking Heads and haven't looked back. :D

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »

Another Barking Heads fan here.    Dylan has their Senior food and Jessie has their salmon and potato. They have been on it for a while and doing very well on it.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 08:15:19 PM »
Sorry Jeanette probably too late now, but Monty has barking heads and is doing really well on it.  Here's a link to their site if you want more info. and they do make a puppy version of their food http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/index.php.  He was originally on Arden Grange but didn't really like it plus it sent him somewhat hyper! ph34r  On the recommendation of our dog trainer we switched to Barking Heads and haven't looked back. :D

I'm waiting for Orijen to arrive now but I'll bear it in mind incase Orijen doesn't suit, hopefully it does as don't want to keep change again.    :D

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
Not sure if this helps, but Zooplus and Pet Planet both do Orijen and they offer free delivery over £19 and £29 respectively.  Appreciate this will only benefit if you are sticking with Orijen...

Offline mooching

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
Barking Heads does contain oats though, which is a grain/cereal.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
I liked the Orijen - worked well for Jasper and Louie but struggled with the other two's weight (putting it on).  On reflection don't think that it was Orijen as I haven't really done better with other and we tried Barking Head and Healthy Paws too.

Currently on RC Cocker but as I'm still using mail order to get it, seriously think I might go back to Orijen.  

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Ali R

• Site Member
  • Fairly Useless
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »
Orijen is supposed to be good for tear stains, according to maltese forums. I've battled for years with Piglets tear stains and foot chewing!

Many people comment that it works. We have only just recently been able to get it in NZ but at great expense including a small fortune for posting.

Some people comment that it does give them a 'runny tummy' and weight loss but this is probably connected!
Let us know how you get on and which one you used.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »
Not sure if this helps, but Zooplus and Pet Planet both do Orijen and they offer free delivery over £19 and £29 respectively.  Appreciate this will only benefit if you are sticking with Orijen...

I ordered it from Zooplus as free delivery and also they had a £5.00 off Orijen offer on at the weekend.   
I liked the Orijen - worked well for Jasper and Louie but struggled with the other two's weight (putting it on).  On reflection don't think that it was Orijen as I haven't really done better with other and we tried Barking Head and Healthy Paws too.

Currently on RC Cocker but as I'm still using mail order to get it, seriously think I might go back to Orijen. 

Will let you know how we get on with Orijen then, Quinn is a right chunkster so I'll notice straightaway if anything differs with his weight.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »
Orijen has the thumbs down in this house - especially the foul breath :020: (that's Jarv's not mine...)
helen & jarvis x