Author Topic: Advice on quality dried food: cost and where to buy?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Chris_J

Advice on quality dried food: cost and where to buy?
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »
My 3 month old pup is currently on Beta which I'm not too happy with. She started to go off it, so now I think is a good time to change to a higher quality food.

I'm interested in trying her on Arden Grange's range of food and have asked them to send me some samples. However, I'm thinking there may be foods available of similar quality but that are of better value for money? Could anybody please point me in the right direction? I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, I just don't want to get sucked in by expensive brands  ;)

Also, where do you guys normally buy from? I'm finding that if there is not a local stockist for the brand I am looking at, it is at least another £5 to deliver!

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Advice on quality dried food: cost and where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »
Mine used to be on Burns which is another of the premium brands, but I switched as it wasn't suiting them. Was looking for something to help firm them up  ph34r and saw a lot of chat on COL about CSJ. Its an internet working dog brand which is cheaper than Arden Grange, Burns etc and it suits my two much better. Delivery is the only option so I order two sacks at a time to save on the delivery but it still works out better value for money

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:40:11 AM »
I would never ever change Natural Dog Food (all in one)...since I found it in Athens...
Price wise, I am afraid I cannot tell you in comparison with others....

http://naturaldogfoodcompany.com/

"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »
My lot are on CSJ too - it's maybe not got the bestest of all incredients but it is value for money and you can buy various different types.   I add vegetables and tinned fish every day and they have raw chicken legs for a couple of meals so I am happy that my lot get a good balanced diet.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »
I also changed to CSJ when Odie was nearly 6 months old.  I'd been experiencing runny poos ph34r all the time with Proplan Puppy and had read lots of good things about CSJ.  Odie's motions are now brill and solid, he is only going 3 times a day (as opposed to 6 previously!).  Excellent value for money and there is a stockist about 25 mins from me so I collect 2 bags at a time and it lasts for ages.  Lesley  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »
Excellent value for money and there is a stockist about 25 mins from me so I collect 2 bags at a time and it lasts for ages.  Lesley  :D

Ah I didn't realise they distributed to stockists, my mistake, guess there isn't one near me but I shall now check. Silly me  :005:

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »
With CSJ there is quite a variety in the quality of the ingredients in the various products. Some of their dearer ones are ok eg Command Performance), but the cheaper ones (CSJ Original and Champ ranges tend to have wheat as the second largest ingredient - in one case it's even the largest ingredient, and the meat content in them tends to be "meal").

If cost is a factor, then I'd say that Pets At Home's own brand, Wainwrights, is a better quality than CSJ.

I wouldn't say either are the same high quality though as Arden Grange, Barking Heads or others which use human-grade meat. I personally feel that Arden Grange is well worth the extra money.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »
I 'usually' get my Arden Grange from here
http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/arden-grange-adult-foods/cid925/arden-grange-adult-foods.asp
They are offering free delivery on all 15kgs bags at the moment.
Often you have to buy two bags to qualify for free delivery and I then order two and store them in large plastic dustbins.
Every time I need to order kibble I do check where it is the cheapest.  ;)  Often you can get it on offer from an eBay shop cheaper.  ;)  It is a pain having to shop around but it does save money.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 04:14:37 PM »
I'd rather use one with as few fillers as possibly, particularly beet pulp (which I know some say is fine and some that it's not - it's usually the 'experts' who use it in their products that say it's great!), so it's Healthy Paws or Barking Heads for us. 

Just got a small bag of Barking Heads from NetPetShop as I may switch Jarv from HP to BH and they included some free goodies for him which I thought was fab - a trial pack of Sea Jerky Tiddlers, some Veni-dog treats and a 3 pack of dentastix (not that we use the dentastix but I thought the gesture was great!)   That was with a £7.99 2 kg bag of food  :shades:

helen & jarvis x

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:20:52 PM »

If it is of help I get my Barking Heads from wwwbowmeows.co.uk.   They do the salmon and potato for £35 and Dylans for about £37 and free delivery. I can also track the order comes by DHL   WE ordered on the Thursday arrived next day.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
and the meat content in them tends to be "meal").
"Meal" means that it is dried meat, in other words, if meat is "meal" it is better as it is more concentrated than fresh meat. So "meal" is by no means a bad thing.  ;)

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline mooching

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »
and the meat content in them tends to be "meal").
"Meal" means that it is dried meat, in other words, if meat is "meal" it is better as it is more concentrated than fresh meat. So "meal" is by no means a bad thing.  ;)

Except you're not always sure what you're getting.

Meal is produced through the process of rendering in which ingredients are ground, boiled, spun to remove the fat, and dried. After rendering, only about 10% water remains allowing the end product to consist largely of minerals and protein (about 50 - 65% protein).
However, in addition to the processing, it could also contain parts of the animal that one would not think of as "meat".

Offline jessandme

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 05:17:16 PM »
Jess is mostly having Naturediet, which I get direct from the manufacturer online.  But she has a handful of CSJ's Lamb and Rice as well, I give this in her Kong treat dispenser, so it is a bit of work for her to get at it, it suits her very well.  It is not the cheapest that CSJ have to offer, there is no wheat in it at all.  And if we run out of Naturediet it is very useful to have some kibble to give her that she likes.

I get our CSJ direct - here - it is a giant sack and lasts for good while.  Their crispy fish skins and Dem Bones are also excellent.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 05:18:25 PM »
Jess is mostly having Naturediet, which I get direct from the manufacturer online.  But she has a handful of CSJ's Lamb and Rice as well, I give this in her Kong treat dispenser, so it is a bit of work for her to get at it, it suits her very well.  It is not the cheapest that CSJ have to offer, there is no wheat in it at all.

This is the one I use for mine

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 08:21:32 PM »
Pet Planet offer free delivery on orders over £29, they stock a good range of foods, and I have never had any problems with them.  Sometimes use Zooplus too, free delivery over £19.  I did try CSJ for a while, but no local stockists and the delivery charges were crippling.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop