Author Topic: Anyone know a dog shampoo that is environmentally safe to use in a stream?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
Weird question, I know, but my neighbour cleans off his dog in the river and regularly uses shampoo. We are in an extremely sensitive area - a SSSI.  The beck he uses is one of the main tributaries to the River Eden and one of the few places left in England that still has native crayfish. I like my neighbour - who is French - but he is just not tuned in to the finer points of environmental management.  Rather than provoke a wonderfully hot Gallic eruption, :argue: I thought I'd merely give him a bottle of dog shampoo without phosphates and all the other substances that damage watercourses. But I don't know of any. Can anyone help please?

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
Thanks Terwish. I've had a look at the site but it mainly gives the beneficial effects of 'natural' products for the dog and nothing for the watercourses.  This might be more difficult than I thought.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Found this but it is quite expensive.  :o

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=90&pf_id=55674

ETA - also found it here but about the same price

http://www.canineproducts.co.uk/petesther-mud-shampoo-97-c.asp
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
Absolutely brilliant - thanks Vixen.  You're right about the price though.  I wonder what an incredibly chic, well-groomed Frenchman will think about getting a bottle of shampoo for his birthday? I hope he realizes it's for the dog.  :005: :005: :005:

Offline PennyB

I assume there's no point in telling him he might be damaging his dog's fur by using shampoo all the time ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
I assume there's no point in telling him he might be damaging his dog's fur by using shampoo all the time ;)

Pas du tout.  I'm no coward but even I baulk at what would probably result. I'm actually very fond of Didier but he fulfils every hackneyed stereotype of the mercurial Frenchman.  Weird really because his mother and sisters are good, practical, down to earth members of the bourgeoisie.