Author Topic: When to change from puppy food to adult food??  (Read 1148 times)

Offline NickyT

Re: When to change from puppy food to adult food??
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, Jo please don't feel you've 'hijacked' my thread lol I hope you get the help you're looking for too  ;)

Charlie has a dried complete puppy food which was recommended by our vet, its a local pet suppliers own brand.  He has 1 cup twice a day which was equal to the recommended weight on the bag, I've just used the last of the food and have thrown the bag out so I can't remember the exact weight.  Jazz is on the same food and she wolfs it down and is fattening up nicely but she's only 14 weeks old.  They don't have many treats, only training treats whilst out walking and maybe a pigs ear once or twice a month (I've also just read on here that these aren't good really so I don't think we will be giving them again - shame really they do love their pigs ear, and it keeps them quiet for ages) lol

I think maybe it might be time to try Charlie on adult food and see how he goes.  He was weighed at the vets when he was last wormed(about 6 weeks ago) and he was 13.8kg does that sound about normal?  He is VERY energetic, I'm presuming this is why he's so slender.

Thanks again guys  :003:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
I thought Odie was a well made dog but I weighed him the other day and he was only 11.3kg :o  He is 13 months old and nearly 16" tall.  I'm beginning to think he isn't keeping the weight on as I can fit my hands round his waist.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline mooching

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
Charlie has a dried complete puppy food which was recommended by our vet, its a local pet suppliers own brand.
I'd be interested to know the name, just out of curiosity!
They don't have many treats, only training treats whilst out walking and maybe a pigs ear once or twice a month (I've also just read on here that these aren't good really so I don't think we will be giving them again - shame really they do love their pigs ear, and it keeps them quiet for ages)
I'd suggest ostrich tendons as a healthier alternative! :D
I think maybe it might be time to try Charlie on adult food and see how he goes.  He was weighed at the vets when he was last wormed(about 6 weeks ago) and he was 13.8kg does that sound about normal?  He is VERY energetic, I'm presuming this is why he's so slender.
That definitely sounds like a good weight!

Offline NickyT

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 04:47:29 PM »
Thanks Mooching for your help  :D much appreciated

RE: the name - OH just gone out to get some more will let you know what its called when he gets home  :doh: it costs £15 for a 7.5kg bag I'll be looking around for a different adult food because my other dogs didn't really thrive well on the same brand adult food. Would love to feed them on the top brands but we just can't afford it with 3 dogs unfortunately  :embarassed:

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 05:28:42 PM »
Milo must of know i was talking about him, just had his tea, about 80g kibble & i mixed in a little tripe & chicken loaf, which he loves & eaten the whole lot, he really enjoyed it.  :luv: