Author Topic: When will Ruben stop biting me????  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Toffeepop

Re: When will Ruben stop biting me????
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »
No idea why he thinks of me as his plaything! Think he knows I am the soft touch in the family.

When he jumps up I tell him "off" and turn and walk away but that doesn't work much. Sometimes he gets put into porch for a timeout too.

I tell him "no" and try to avoid him when he is chewing my slippers, sleeve, trousers, etc but he has a strong will! I am the one who cuddles and fusses over him so not sure if that has something to do with it too.

By the way I have slipper boots and he loves chewing them either on or off my feet!

Offline kaylaneville

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:48 PM »
I find that when my OH tries to give me a kiss or cuddle Alfie barks at him alot. Im not sure if its a possesive kind of thing  :huh:

Kayla and Alfie <3

Offline Toffeepop

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 10:31:27 PM »
Just been trying out some ignoring moves with Toffee and it does work. Think its when he gets over excited that things go wrong. Maybe just need to give him a timeout when that happens and hopefully he will mellow with age and persevering with training will help.

Offline mooching

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »
I tell him "no" and try to avoid him when he is chewing my slippers, sleeve, trousers, etc

Instead of telling him just no (which is rather broad and vague), you could distract him and offer him something else instead that he *can* chew/bite, eg one of his toys, or an old knotted teatowel (I used to keep a few of these in strategic places around the house so that one would be likely to be to hand if needed). My daughter was always a target when she came in from school, and my husband when he came down the stairs in the morning, so I kept a couple of old knotted teatowels hanging on the banister that could be used to distract Alfie.

Just been trying out some ignoring moves with Toffee and it does work. Think its when he gets over excited that things go wrong. Maybe just need to give him a timeout when that happens and hopefully he will mellow with age and persevering with training will help.

Another thing you could do is learn how to foresee when he is starting to get overexcited/overtired and stop whatever activity is happening at that time - and encourage him to go to his bed (preferably crate) with a treat or Kong or favourite toy.

Offline Toffeepop

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »
Thanks Mooching will give your tips a go.