Author Topic: Whelping kit  (Read 1551 times)

Offline kerrie

Whelping kit
« on: March 09, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »
Not too sure if this is in the right place so Mods please move if I have made a mistake.
I am curious as to what is in other breeders whelping kits? I am just in the process of updating mine and would welcome any suggestions as to what include in mine for future litters.

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
Re: Whelping kit
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »
Hi, when we had our first and only litter of poodle pups in Nov i had bought a cardboard whelping box, a heat pad, had sterilized scissors, some surgical gloves, some ky jelly, and a  thermometer. I think that was about it really, had no probs thankfully though.
Also had some scales, notebooks, clean towels, bowl of water nearby.

Expect I should of had a lot more really but my breeder (whom I kept in touch with re the breeding etc) who had 30yrs of breeding poodles told me this would be all i'd need. besides................having the vets on standby (which I did) her phone no handy too and plenty of coffee to drink if it was in the middle of the night.

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »
Would highly recommend The Book of the Bitch, details everything you would need.

In my case with my litters the only thing I had that I could have done without was a panicking husband. :005:

Lots of old rough towels and make sure you keep any other dogs out of the way, they stress mum.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:58:26 PM »
Not too sure if this is in the right place so Mods please move if I have made a mistake.
I am curious as to what is in other breeders whelping kits? I am just in the process of updating mine and would welcome any suggestions as to what include in mine for future litters.

Maybe you should make a list of what's in yours and then other people can add things to the list that they would also consider essential. ;)
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
Collo Cal D  Calcium supplement, but not to be given before established labour,  I do have cord clamps (but have never had to use them) I have used Dorwest Caulophyllum from Dorwest, lots of towels and newspapers, heat pads (electric) for whelping box, separate heated box for pups when mum is delivering, heat pad (microwave type) in case of emergency trip to vets with pups,  phone on hand in case of emergency calls to the vet, pad to note things down like when contractions start and to note down the pups/weights as they are born.  Scales, vet bedding, obstetric gel (ky gel)   glucose which I add to mums water during labour, torch because you can guarantee mum will whelp during the night and you'll have to make a garden visit if your girl needs to go out.  Scissors, surgical clamps, sterilising fluid for first two items.  Puppy milk (just in case) plenty of food in for mum once she's whelped.

I've never used surgical gloves, it's difficult enough to grap a stuck pup without slippery gloves  :005:

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
It might be useful to get some syringes in, we handreared 2 pups but lost them both at 4 weeks which was the most upsetting thing that's happened to us, but it's best to be prepared.
Cayley.