Author Topic: When will he stop going in the house?!!!  (Read 659 times)

Offline rachy85

• Rocco :)
When will he stop going in the house?!!!
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:03:51 PM »
Hey everyone

I'm following all of the advice for puppy training...and managing most of the time to get Rocco outside before he goes inside. I just wondered what's the next step?! And when will he start trying to go outside himself?!

Thanks x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: When will he stop going in the house?!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
Hi, you'll find that every pup is different when it comes to toiletting.  The main thing is to keep taking him outside every 20-30 mins or so initially and patiently waiting till he goes.  I done the wrong thing and used puppy pads at first, this I was told, hindered the process a bit so Odie was slower to learn not to do it inside (he also had Separation Anxiety involving messing the kitchen when left, which didn't help)!  We all live and learn :lol2:  He took till about 18 weeks old to be more reliable (but many pups learn miles earlier than that) and he started to 'ask' to go out from around 20-24 weeks. 

Repetition and frequent trips outside is the key (I'll be an expert if I ever get another puppy :shades: :lol2:)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:25:57 PM »
Totally agree, repetition is the key and start as you mean to go on. Puppy pads mean you are doing the same training twice. Once for the pads and then for outside.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
Totally agree, repetition is the key and start as you mean to go on. Puppy pads mean you are doing the same training twice. Once for the pads and then for outside.
I don't agree that puppy pads mean you have to train twice. I used puppy pads for both William and Louis in the area where they were put at night or if I was out. Much easier to clean up than a carpet. I also used to put a puppy pad on the kitchen floor near the back door when they were very young in case they couldn't make it outside in time or if I missed the signs or forgot to put them out frequently, but it didn't seem to cause confusion. I took them into the garden after every meal, every time they woke up and lots of times in between and praised them when they went. They both soon learned that the garden was the place to go but a puppy pad was an alternative if outside wasn't availablle.

I can't remember their ages they were fully housetrained, although I know Louis took longer than William to be able to go through the night, but he's always taken longer to learn things than William :lol2:

Whatever method you use, just be consistent and remember to praise Rocco when he gets it right and clear up without getting grumpy when he goes in the house :D. Mine recognise "go pee" as a sign that I want them to pee or poo because I taught them that when they were young by saying it the second that they started to pee (outside) then praised them.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
Our pup is 16 weeks now rarley has an accident and can go about 1 and half - 2 hours between toilet breaks if awake and longer if asleep but doesnt show any signs of showing me she needs to go. Goes very quickly when outside on vocal command if she needs to go.

Offline madelon162

• sadie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:30:03 AM »
Sadie is 20 weeks on monday, she goes for about 6 hours at night and about 4 hours during the day. She can take herself outside now to go to toilet, and she does. The only accident she has now is when the doggie door is closed.

Offline Sally and Mark

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:14 PM »
We have been accident free in our house for a couple of months now, we really made sure

we took Finn outside on a regular basis  every hour on the hour up until 10 o'clock at night even if he didn't need to go he went out with one of us attending.

Now we have a bunch of keys in the door that jangle so should Finn get caught short & we're not watching him we will hear him jangling the keys.

This has come in very handy as we have done away with his crate so he is free to roam about.

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
Can you explain more about the keys.  Do you hang them?  This sounds a great idea but did you do specific key training?  Will my wind chime do?

Offline Sally and Mark

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »
they are just my house keys i keep in the lock at night plus a couple of key rings on a tag,

when Finn wants the loo he just paws the door jangling the keys alerting us to open it for him  :D