Author Topic: Advocate or frontline?  (Read 23685 times)

Offline Rileysmum

Advocate or frontline?
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »
Hi I've been using advocate on my boy Riley but everyone else I know uses frontline on there doggy? Which do you use or which is best? Thanks
having fun with my cockers Bonny & Riley x

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Advocate or frontline?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:20:18 PM »
I use Advocate on all my dogs, firstly because Frontline has become less effective for fleas and more importantly because Advocate also protects against lungworm.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline stephremon

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 02:29:10 PM »
Advocate covers a lot more than frontline. Advocate treats and prevents: heartworm, lungworm, roundworms, whipworms, sarcoptes, demodex, fleas and ear mites. The only things it doesn't cover is tics and tapeworm. Frontline covers fleas and tics.

It depends if tics are a problem for you in your area. I use advocate and Droncit(tapewormer) as mine dont have a problem in the tic department but do scavenge so lungworm is a potential risk.

Hope that helps in someway xxxx

Offline jessandme

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »
Lungworm is on the increase in lots of areas - nothing else prevents it, only Advocate.  It is a horrible condition if your dog gets it.  Our vet has told us that they are not finding Frontline to be effective any more, the fleas have become resistant to it apparently.   

I think you are doing the right thing using Advocate, it is certainly what I use for Jess.  Maybe your friends with dogs haven't heard of lungworm?

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
Thanks for this thread.  I always use frontline, but will change.  I had no idea that it protected against lungworm too.  :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
i alwaysed used frontline but found that the dods fleas were immune to it so changed

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:52:11 PM »
Advocate here too, recommended by our vet too
jo

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
Wondering if we should change as well I use stronghold on Phoebe and Mia???

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
 ;) Def use Advocate here on all woofs as Lungworm is on the rise where I live in East Kent...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »
Use practic here, am I alone  ph34r

Offline Rileysmum

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »
Wow thanks so much for the replys will defo stick to advocate! We find the odd tick on Riley he only had 2 so far so good? Just out of interest which wormer does everyone use? My vet was giving me milbemax but changed it to drontal plus, as he said that advocate and milbemax can't be used together?
having fun with my cockers Bonny & Riley x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:00:33 PM »
I use Advantix monthly in the Summer as mine are prone to ticks, and Frontline in the Winter months. I also use Milbemax as a wormer every 3 months, but if they ate slugs or snails would use it monthly as it is effective against lungworm when used that often, just like Advocate is. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »
I use Advantix monthly in the Summer as mine are prone to ticks, and Frontline in the Winter months. I also use Milbemax as a wormer every 3 months, but if they ate slugs or snails would use it monthly as it is effective against lungworm when used that often, just like Advocate is. :D

My friend's collie didn't eat slugs or snails... he still caught lungworm and it was fatal for him.  :'(  So please don't assume that your dog is safe if they don't eat slugs or snails. It appears that eating grass or licking toys where slugs/snails have been is enough to catch it.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »
Tali is Advocated here too. I used to use Frontline on Keli and it did used to work, but I guess they become resistant to it over time.

Lungworm is horrible. Berti had it, Lindsey's dog had it and a few others on here. I'd prefer not to give chemical spot ons but I don't want Himself getting lungworm.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 05:41:49 AM »
Milly's on Advocate.
Recommended by our vet who tells us that, even though there haven't been a lot of cases of lungworm up here in the North East of Scotland, the numbers are on the rise and that Advocate is the only really effective treatment.
Given the ease of application at home, it's really a bit of a no-brainer especially when you consider that it also treats just about everything else except tics and tapeworm.